Baby Panther Problems

CamoChameleonsHuman

Chameleon Enthusiast
Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther male was told 3 months old but only weighs 1.5grams, been in my car since Tuesday
Handling - only to get into enclosure on Tuesday
Feeding - fruit flies, 1/8" crickets, fed in AM hour after lights on, gutloaded with bug burger and bee pollen
Supplements - he only had exoterra calcium in the 3 days I've had him
Watering - monsoon Solo with 2 nozzles pointed at queen pothos, 2min every 8hrs, saw him drink quite a few times. Distilled water
Fecal Description - some normal brown with white except for this morning when I saw some red in with his urate. Not tested yet.
History - got him from breeder in Colorado Springs. He was getting natural sunlight when I picked him up.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 2x2x4 DIY all screen
Lighting - zoomed 5.0 22" T5HO. Exoterra 50w intense basking spot bulb in exoterra deep dome. On 12hrs off 12hrs with timer. 6:30am-6:30pm
Temperature - 76 basking 70 at bottom of enclosure. Measured with infrared temp gun and digital probes
Humidity - 50% day 70%night. Cool mist humidifier, digital humidity gauge
Plants - 3ft queen pothos, grapevine, multiple fake plants.
Placement - located next to my Veiled with barrier between them. They sit 2 1/2' above the ground. No vents or fans nearby.
Location - Southern Colorado

Current Problem - eyes closed with lights on, red in his urate. Always went to bed a hour before lights out.

-------------
20190419_093656.jpg
20190418_172614.jpg

I am so sorry to hear this. :(
The comments on other posts with red in the urate would appear to be connected to digestive issues. Do you have any tiny hornworms? to Loosen him up a bit?
No not that tiny! He struggled with the 1/8" cricket this morning. We are back at breeders now with him.

No not that tiny! He struggled with the 1/8" cricket this morning. We are back at breeders now with him.
Please keep us updated Camo my guy has been a lot more active this morning and eating well. Maybe the boy you picked just had a hard time adjusting?? Let us know if you end up getting the bigger of the clutch, who seemed very healthy and active to me (but also what do I know?)

I am so sorry to hear this. :(
The comments on other posts with red in the urate would appear to be connected to digestive issues. Do you have any tiny hornworms? to Loosen him up a bit?
I was kinda thinking the same thing but he’s so little it would be had to find and keep them tiny since they are made to eat and get big fast. Not to mention you don’t want to over hydrate

The best I can suggest is for the first few weeks when u bring ur baby home..u will need to mimicking the breeder setup and slowerly change into ur own..since he just got separate apart by all his siblings..unless the breeder already separate them 1 by 1.
The eyes problem can range from the light..misting humidity n stress etc.
Etc

@alphakenc when I was there all the babies were basking in natural light on a fake tree outside, they werent in their enclosures. I dont remember much of them, but Camo is there right now and maybe can get a picture or a good description.
He had a humidifier in the room that went 24/7 and he had foggers on the chams as well that he ran in intervals throughout the day. His lights scheduale was 9am-11pm, to better accommodate to his own work schedule. He has mist kings set up, but I dont recall how often he had them going. His entire apartment was dedicated to his chameleons. He has like 5 adult males, 4 females, and 2 ambanja juveniles other than the babies he had. All the others seemed happy and healthy.
I dont remember what other questions you had lol

He's back with the breeder who's going to quarantine him and get some Vitamin A in him. I decided on not getting a replacement from him and instead getting my money back. I didn't want to take the risk of another clutch ate possibly having the same issue. I've decided to wait and hold out for a reputable breeder on this forum to have a happy healthy boy for me and my family.

@alphakenc when I was there all the babies were basking in natural light on a fake tree outside, they werent in their enclosures. I dont remember much of them, but Camo is there right now and maybe can get a picture or a good description.
He had a humidifier in the room that went 24/7 and he had foggers on the chams as well that he ran in intervals throughout the day. His lights scheduale was 9am-11pm, to better accommodate to his own work schedule. He has mist kings set up, but I dont recall how often he had them going. His entire apartment was dedicated to his chameleons. He has like 5 adult males, 4 females, and 2 ambanja juveniles other than the babies he had. All the others seemed happy and healthy.
I dont remember what other questions you had lol
His lights scheduale was 9am-11pm
This light schedule is too long for the babies...12 hrs is what i will recommend
Also ask the breeder the feeding schedule..cause baby digest quicker then the adult in pooping wise.there are so many thing to watch for and the list will be go on and on...

He's back with the breeder who's going to quarantine him and get some Vitamin A in him. I decided on not getting a replacement from him and instead getting my money back. I didn't want to take the risk of another clutch ate possibly having the same issue. I've decided to wait and hold out for a reputable breeder on this forum to have a happy healthy boy for me and my family.
I think that you made a good choice. I really would love to get a baby but anything younger then 4 months scares the heck outa me. Maybe see what Matt has right now. I know he had some Nosy Be eggs that were laid like 2 months ago I think. I am not sure what he has ready for homes now.

I'm sorry :( I've been in contact with him also and said I'm keeping really close eye on him.

This light schedule is too long for the babies...12 hrs is what i will recommend
Also ask the breeder the feeding schedule..cause baby digest quicker then the adult in pooping wise.there are so many thing to watch for and the list will be go on and on...
He did say he was feeding them in the AM and had big appetites.

If im still breeding...my feeding schedule will be 8am in the morning since my lights go on in 7am...this way the babies is already warm up n ready for food...plus they will need to bask in the right temperature to digest all their food in their tiny stomach so start early by the time they ready for bed...their food will already digest better not sitting in their stomach n create digestive problems in the lower tempature at night during their sleep.
Misting them need to be done every 2 hours top since the water passing thru their tiny little body very quickly...if u miss couple time..that will leads to dehydration very quickly...now u guys know my breeding pain which is why i stop...i need freedom in my life even though i do miss them sometimes...but i rather find me a wifey n conceive!!

Back
Top Bottom