Baby panther neck edema

snake3c

My baby Cham was about 9 or 10 weeks old
These days I noticed his neck became edema or just like edema

It seems there are more skin around his neck when he sleep at night his front foot almost hidden in the neck skin

Please help my little baby
Thank a lot
IMG_7024.JPG IMG_7031.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5678.JPG
    IMG_5678.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7032.JPG
    IMG_7032.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 88
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon -It's about 9 or 10 weeks old male or female I am not sure I have feed them for a month .
  • Handling - about once a week for less than 30 seconds
  • Feeding - Crickets only now .Two or three a day about 0.5cm
  • Supplements - both of are EXO-TERRA once a week
  • Watering - I use Monsoon rs400 4 time a day for two minutes . In the morning I sometimes can see they drinking water
  • Fecal Description -hard black with a bit white in the beginning.
  • History - no history

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - glass cage with gauze in two sides 45 x 45 x 60 for each babies.
  • Lighting - UVA and UVB opened from 8 am to 9 pm
  • Temperature and Humidity - keep 28℃ and about 75% in the day and 20 ℃ at night
  • Plants - no real plants
  • Placement - the cages are near the windows on my table
  • Location - east of the earth

Last edited:
Not sure it is edema because of image 5678.
However here are some comments about your answers to the questions...
The crickets... if they of the appropriate size, they should be eating about a dozen a day at that age.
You said the supplements are both exo Terra...there are normally three supplements so since you weren't clear/specific I don't know if you are supplementing properly. Don't know if you're gutloading/feeding the insects properly either. Inappropriate supplementing can cause edema and other problems....sane with feeding/gutloading.
Don't know if your UVB and basking lights are suitable since I don't know what brands they are either.
Since we only know that you might be somewhere on earth I can't tell you if the cage being near the window is a problem or not.
We really aren't interested in where you live so much as if the climate is hot or cold or drynir humid.
Is your chameleon gaping or making rasping sounds when it breathes?

Not sure it is edema because of image 5678.
However here are some comments about your answers to the questions...
The crickets... if they of the appropriate size, they should be eating about a dozen a day at that age.
You said the supplements are both exo Terra...there are normally three supplements so since you weren't clear/specific I don't know if you are supplementing properly. Don't know if you're gutloading/feeding the insects properly either. Inappropriate supplementing can cause edema and other problems....sane with feeding/gutloading.
Don't know if your UVB and basking lights are suitable since I don't know what brands they are either.
Since we only know that you might be somewhere on earth I can't tell you if the cage being near the window is a problem or not.
We really aren't interested in where you live so much as if the climate is hot or cold or drynir humid.
Is your chameleon gaping or making rasping sounds when it breathes?

Thanks a lot for your kindly reply !!
I notice the edema yesterday and I never see them open mouth unless eating
His breathing is quiet He is about 5cm baby He ate only flies before
From my last post https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ies-begin-to-eat-cricket.160082/#post-1377511
I make him began eating cricket
Does a baby cham can eat a dozen of crickets ? He eat two or three at most!!
Do you think he maybe get some lung sickness or He is a bit dehydration?
Thanks a lot for your help
By the way for now I keep him he had not shed yet ! Was that a reason ?
I make cricket covered by calcium and Vitamin to feed once a week (one cricket almost cover white each time)

Last edited:
I made the comments to get the answers i needed to figure out if your cha eleon is ok or not. Its the same reason that inneed specific answers.

If he's not gaping and his breath is not raspy then he likely doesn't have a respiratory issue.

A baby chameleon is growing so it should eat more than two or three of the proper sized crickets every day. Because crickets have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous it's important to dust the insects lightly just before feeding them to the chameleon at almost every feeding.

We also recommend that you dust them twice a month with a phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it and leaving it to produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues...D3 produced from exposure to the UVB light won't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the UVB at will.

It's also recommended that you dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A. PrOformed sources of vitamin A can't build up in the system like prEformed sources can so this way you don't overdo it... but it leaves it up to you to decide if/when your chameleon needs any prEformed vitamin A.

You still didn't tell me what you feed or gutload the crickets with so I don't know if your chameleon's diet is good enough to keep his bones strong as he grows or have good muscles, etc.or if you need to improve it.

As I said before, supplements can cause edema and improper supplementing can also cause kidney issues and that can cause edema.

If he's not growing he won't shed.

I made the comments to get the answers i needed to figure out if your cha eleon is ok or not. Its the same reason that inneed specific answers.

If he's not gaping and his breath is not raspy then he likely doesn't have a respiratory issue.

A baby chameleon is growing so it should eat more than two or three of the proper sized crickets every day. Because crickets have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous it's important to dust the insects lightly just before feeding them to the chameleon at almost every feeding.

We also recommend that you dust them twice a month with a phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it and leaving it to produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues...D3 produced from exposure to the UVB light won't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the UVB at will.

It's also recommended that you dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A. PrOformed sources of vitamin A can't build up in the system like prEformed sources can so this way you don't overdo it... but it leaves it up to you to decide if/when your chameleon needs any prEformed vitamin A.

You still didn't tell me what you feed or gutload the crickets with so I don't know if your chameleon's diet is good enough to keep his bones strong as he grows or have good muscles, etc.or if you need to improve it.

As I said before, supplements can cause edema and improper supplementing can also cause kidney issues and that can cause edema.

If he's not growing he won't shed.
Thanks very much for your kindly advise
I forgot to tell that I feed the crickets with small piece of carrot
Your advise means I made the baby gutloading maybe?
I should reduce the dust times and feed the baby more crickets with out carrot ?
Ok I got it ! I am going to buy some more crickets :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
In my last post I also got your kindly advise , you are so nice , many thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom