Baby panther might have eggs!?!

Damus

So our cham bonnie has recently been showing some very vibrant colors; pinks, purples, oranges, and even some green. I figured she was just growing and really enjoying her new cage. But im wondering if she might have eggs, she cant be more than 7 months old, we have had her for about 3 months. This morning she looks very plump! like huge, even more so than in the pics i snapped quick. Im bout to go to work, but im GF will keep an eye on this post for any help/information! Thanks again!

SAM_1260.jpg

SAM_1261.jpg

Do you have a 12" deep bucket filled with washed playsand in her cage so she can dig and lay? How hot is her basking temps and how much do you feed her per day? Her throat looks swollen too, can you take a pic from the side?

Edit: ok I see you posted more pics. She doesn't look gravid but still having a laying bin helps. Her throat also doesn't look swollen, that probably was just the angle of the first couple of pics.

Do you have a 12" deep bucket filled with washed playsand in her cage so she can dig and lay? How hot is her basking temps and how much do you feed her per day? Her throat looks swollen too, can you take a pic from the side?

No bucket yet, didnt figure we needed one yet. Its on the todo list for today though. Basking temps in mid 80s. She eats like a beast, more than our boy. probably 10-15 1/2" crix a day. Throat is just because she puffed up to the camera. Thanks for your response, im about to go to work. Thanks again for anymore responses!

I would cut down her food to only about 3x's a week and only about 5 feeders each feeding. Have you ever shown her to your male recently? Did she gape, hiss, and turn almost black?

I would cut down her food to only about 3x's a week and only about 5 feeders each feeding. Have you ever shown her to your male recently? Did she gape, hiss, and turn almost black?

While i was at work, my GF took clyde out of his cage and put him in front of her and she was calm and acting like he wasnt even there, from what ive read that means shes ready!?!?!

My only concern is, she is still so young. and weighs less than 100g for sure. Do some chameleons just mature faster than others? because i hear most people breeding their chams when they are around 1yr old and we still have 5 months till then! thanks again!

While i was at work, my GF took clyde out of his cage and put him in front of her and she was calm and acting like he wasnt even there, from what ive read that means shes ready!?!?!

My only concern is, she is still so young. and weighs less than 100g for sure. Do some chameleons just mature faster than others? because i hear most people breeding their chams when they are around 1yr old and we still have 5 months till then! thanks again!

Even though she appeared calm around the boy, he was outside her cage, therfore she may not have felt threatened.
If you want to breed them, thats fine, but dont do it until she is at least a year old.
SOme chams can mature faster than others. Breeding already takes a strong toll on females, and doing it when they are too young can make it worse, like shorten her life, raise chances of complications, etc.

Camimom said part of it, but I have to add that chameleons have great eyesight so she definitely saw him unless there was something blocking the view. Even if he was outside, if she didnt want him around she would've gone nuts.

Its is good for the female to be at least a year old to breed her as by now she has probably stopped growing and the process of creating the eggs is less taxing on her in the long run. Your female probably wont get to that weight unless she is full of eggs. I remember reading that they should be over 60g.

Camimom said part of it, but I have to add that chameleons have great eyesight so she definitely saw him unless there was something blocking the view. Even if he was outside, if she didnt want him around she would've gone nuts.

Its is good for the female to be at least a year old to breed her as by now she has probably stopped growing and the process of creating the eggs is less taxing on her in the long run. Your female probably wont get to that weight unless she is full of eggs. I remember reading that they should be over 60g.

I didnt mean she didnt see him as in didnt care. as you said, if something blocked her view, or she wasnt looking in that direction type thing.

My female Panther always shows her bright colors, ever since I got her (at about 3 months of age). She is now about 8 months old now.

Female panthers will go thru a receptive phase between 6 and 9 months old. If they were in the field they would prob breed at that point. In captivity we generally dont breed during this initial receptive period. I'd go ahead and put a laying bin in her cage now. But most of the time the female wont produce or lay eggs until bred or shown a male. I dont show my females a male until its time to breed them because I dont want my females producing infertile clutches.

I stop feeding my adults everyday at around the 6-7 month mark for females. Switch her to every other day and cut her back to 8-10 feeders.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response everyone, definitely some info i needed there. I will be implementing all the advice this week.

Female panthers will go thru a receptive phase between 6 and 9 months old. If they were in the field they would prob breed at that point. In captivity we generally dont breed during this initial receptive period. I'd go ahead and put a laying bin in her cage now. But most of the time the female wont produce or lay eggs until bred or shown a male. I dont show my females a male until its time to breed them because I dont want my females producing infertile clutches.

I stop feeding my adults everyday at around the 6-7 month mark for females. Switch her to every other day and cut her back to 8-10 feeders.

See this i didnt know, we have been showing them to each other for a while to get them used to each other. i didnt kno that just seeing the male can trigger the production of eggs.

why is it people dont usually breed the first receptive period? is it cuz they arent full grown yet? or is producing eggs more stressful on a teenager/juvie.?

Most keepers dont breed a female before the 1 yr mark due to the stress of egg production being put on the female. The female needs to be of sufficient size and body weight before she is allowed to breed.

Back
Top Bottom