Baby panther chameleon

Sailouchai

Hey I just got my new baby panther chameleon, the first one that ive ever had and even though he wont eat and is hanging upside down, I will be going shopping for feeders tomorrow, I left him baby crickets for now but Im struggling with them so is there any other bug I can get that a baby chameleon can eat? hes like 3 to 4 inches long I feel like worms are too big for him right now

E8DA0B2B-E2A5-4F2C-95AD-BCF4DB94C9AB.jpeg
Btw he has been changing color for the past 4 hours he has in the new enclosure from bright to dark and a lot of times, idk if its normal since he just got shipped

It's normal to them not to eat for a couple of days. Their routine has changed and their territory is new to them too. Small crickets area good feeder IMHO for hatchlings because they are easy to find, easy to feed/gutload, easy to keep. Roaches (proper sized) are good too. BSFL would work.

My little guy seems to like wax worms over mealy worms. Maybe because they are softer (?) I think yours is old enough for a wax worm.
I will try it out tomorrow, I know its normal for them to skip meals on their first day at their new home, but Ill keep trying until I see him comfortable and healthy

Just make sure you don’t use waxworms or mealworms as staples, they are meant as treats and added variety only. Once he gets bigger (super cute, by the way!), you can pupate the waxworms into moths and feed those off, as well!

Small dubia and red runners both roaches have good nutritional values. Just get apporiate size usually the distance between your chams eyes size feeders . But black soldier fly larve are good staple feeders and also good when turn into flys for your cham to hunt . Do you have a feeder run? They are a great way to keep track of what your cham is eating rather than putting feeders in your enclosure

Small dubia and red runners both roaches have good nutritional values. Just get apporiate size usually the distance between your chams eyes size feeders . But black soldier fly larve are good staple feeders and also good when turn into flys for your cham to hunt . Do you have a feeder run? They are a great way to keep track of what your cham is eating rather than putting feeders in your enclosure
Noo sadly I dont, I was actually trying to get him used to cupfeeding, but this is his first day here
I guess It'll take time

Thats ok I just use a cup no biggie. Yes it takes time I try to learn and improve one thing one day at a time . Have you filled in a husbandry form since joining the forum?

@SpicyOrchid waxworms are only for treats and not staple feeders as they have high fat content. Black soldier fly larve are staple feeders. Feeding a variety of insects is best . Crickets, locusts and roaches are imo better feeders to gutload

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 85
Just make sure you don’t use waxworms or mealworms as staples, they are meant as treats and added variety only. Once he gets bigger (super cute, by the way!), you can pupate the waxworms into moths and feed those off, as well!
Thank you for that info. I appreciated it.

Hi! Just seeing this. I have a baby panther also. He is 5 months. His favourites are small silkworms and dubia roaches. I hope your little dude is doing well now.

Hi! Just seeing this. I have a baby panther also. He is 5 months. His favourites are small silkworms and dubia roaches. I hope your little dude is doing well now.
Hi and welcome to the forum! If you have any questions or need any help just ask. We’re here to help!

Back
Top Bottom