Baby panther chameleon

Hi, I got a baby panther chameleon 3 days ago. He is eating very well and appears to have adjusted to his new environment quite well. I have new vines and leaves for his tank, which will be arriving in a few days. When they do I am going to be redesigning his tank, what is the least stressful way I could do this? as in would it be better to do this just before I turn his lights off, or early in the morning, middle of the day...etc.

thanks!

I think a good way is to have a free range type plant to put them on so they are not in the enclosure while you are manipulating things.

Personally, I have a 4ft tall schefflera that I put my cham on while I do things in his enclosure

Also, it is a good idea to fill out the "how to ask for help form" which should be pinned to the health clinic thread at least (could be elsewhere also). That way if there are any areas for improvement in your husbandry, the experienced members here can give suggestions so that you're new little fella has an awesome life!

Hi, I got a baby panther chameleon 3 days ago. He is eating very well and appears to have adjusted to his new environment quite well. I have new vines and leaves for his tank, which will be arriving in a few days. When they do I am going to be redesigning his tank, what is the least stressful way I could do this? as in would it be better to do this just before I turn his lights off, or early in the morning, middle of the day...etc.

thanks!
I don't have a Panther, I have a Veiled, but I think they are similar. If you don't have another plant, or a "travel'' cage, just make sure you take your time, and do a separate area at a time, for example: if your Cham is at the top of his enclosure, do the bottom, then when you are done, wait for him to move so you can do another area.

I think a good way is to have a free range type plant to put them on so they are not in the enclosure while you are manipulating things.

Personally, I have a 4ft tall schefflera that I put my cham on while I do things in his enclosure

Also, it is a good idea to fill out the "how to ask for help form" which should be pinned to the health clinic thread at least (could be elsewhere also). That way if there are any areas for improvement in your husbandry, the experienced members here can give suggestions so that you're new little fella has an awesome life!

Thanks for the tip!

here's the info you wanted, I'd appreciate any advice!!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male panther chameleon, approximately 3.5 months old. have cared for him for 3 days
  • Handling - I have handled him once when he crawled on my arm during a feeding, but I have been giving him ample time to adjust his new home
  • Feeding - eating gut loaded and dusted 1/4" crickets. about 12-16 per day
  • Supplements - dust with calcium every feeding, use a multivitamin twice per week.
  • Watering - I hand mist and have a dripper system.
  • Fecal Description - Urates are white, poop is solid and brown.
  • History - he's a baby, so not much previous info. The breeder is very good with his husbandry and has been breeding Chameleons for 10 years.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - cage is 18x18x24 glass, with a mesh top. When he outgrows this tank I have built a mesh extension to add to the tank.
  • Lighting - lights turn on at 7am and off at 7pm. Currently using a T5 UVB bulb and 50W basking lamp.
  • Temperature - I use a digital thermometer to measure the temp. Basking spot is between 87-90. has a range of temps. coldest part of the tank during the day is 74 degrees
  • Humidity - Digital hygrometer is used to measure humidity. I keep it between 50-75% during the day.
  • Plants - Pothos, and spider plant. plus a number of fake ivy plants.
  • Placement - bottom of the cage is 3 feet off the ground, cage is near a window and in a low traffic area.
  • Location - I am located in Canada

What brand of multivitamin are you using? Also, many people alternate dusting with calcium + d3 and multivitamin once per week so that you're only giving calcium d3 and multivitamin twice a month each.

@Gingero has a good video describing this schedule.

What is the strength of your UVB bulb and what is the distance from the UVB bulb to his basking spot? Some T5's can put out quite a bit of UV in close proximity

Also you're probably going to want a large enclosure for your new fella. I had mine in a 18x18x36 when I got him at 4 months and i felt I had not given him enough space even now after moving into his current 36x24x36. Bigger is better, but that's just my experience and every cham is different

Here is my supplement video:

• Also worth noting that 87-90F is much too hot for a baby cham. Shouldn't be hotter than 85F at that age.
  • How often and how long as you misting for? 75% is on the higher end as well.
  • What are you gutloading the crickets with?
  • Are you planning on offering any other types of bugs?
  • Can you please post pics of the cham and enclosure?

What brand of multivitamin are you using? Also, many people alternate dusting with calcium + d3 and multivitamin once per week so that you're only giving calcium d3 and multivitamin twice a month each.

@Gingero has a good video describing this schedule.

What is the strength of your UVB bulb and what is the distance from the UVB bulb to his basking spot? Some T5's can put out quite a bit of UV in close proximity

Also you're probably going to want a large enclosure for your new fella. I had mine in a 18x18x36 when I got him at 4 months and i felt I had not given him enough space even now after moving into his current 36x24x36. Bigger is better, but that's just my experience and every cham is different
Thanks for the advice! the extension I've built will add height as well as width. It is essentially a tall rectangle with protruding sides. I plan to scape the tank like a tree/bush growing to the top with branches sticking out on the sides.

The Uv

I will absolutely check out the video on the vitamin schedule as well! Thanks for all the advice:)
Here is my supplement video:

• Also worth noting that 87-90F is much too hot for a baby cham. Shouldn't be hotter than 85F at that age.
  • How often and how long as you misting for? 75% is on the higher end as well.
  • What are you gutloading the crickets with?
  • Are you planning on offering any other types of bugs?
  • Can you please post pics of the cham and enclosure?

Okay, I have increased the basking lamp height, so it is holding steady at 85F at the hottest point, I mist twice a day for 2 minutes. The humidity is usually around 50%, but after I mist it holds at 75% for the next hour or so. I gut load the crickets with flukers cricket food, and I am planning to start offering him mealworms soon. As he gets older I will be diversifying his diet much more. Unfortunately I do not have a phone right now, I have one arriving in the mail and once I do I will post some pictures!

Good job on adjusting the basking lamp.

The Fluker's cricket food is not worth using in my opinion. You're better off using fresh fruits and veggies.

Mealworms are also not recommended for chameleons. I'd try some of these bugs instead:

Good job on adjusting the basking lamp.

The Fluker's cricket food is not worth using in my opinion. You're better off using fresh fruits and veggies.

Mealworms are also not recommended for chameleons. I'd try some of these bugs instead:

I will check these videos out! thanks for the tips! :)

Back
Top Bottom