baby panther chameleon napping during day

kogodogo

hi there, i just got a juvenile panther chameleon yesterday. this is my first time owning a reptile, but after years of doing research i figured i would be able to handle him.

he was doing fine yesterday when he first arrived, but today i noticed him near the bottom of his cage, and he spent most of the day napping on and off. i was able to feed him a few crickets, but when i tried to give him a second helping just now he looked at them, but didn’t want to eat any.

i found another forum with someone having a similar problem, and they were able to help by replacing the uvb light. i got an exo terra uvb 100 light earlier today since they recommend that, and it seemed to help at first. but now he’s back to closing his eyes.

he moved back up to a basking spot, but i’m still a bit worried. this might be nothing, but i don’t want to take any chances since this is my first time with a cham.

his basking area is at 80 degrees right now, and i’ve misted twice today. he has lots of foliage, some live and some fake, and even has some natural sunlight from a nearby window.

any tips on what might be happening / how to help ?

hi there, i just got a juvenile panther chameleon yesterday. this is my first time owning a reptile, but after years of doing research i figured i would be able to handle him.

he was doing fine yesterday when he first arrived, but today i noticed him near the bottom of his cage, and he spent most of the day napping on and off. i was able to feed him a few crickets, but when i tried to give him a second helping just now he looked at them, but didn’t want to eat any.

i found another forum with someone having a similar problem, and they were able to help by replacing the uvb light. i got an exo terra uvb 100 light earlier today since they recommend that, and it seemed to help at first. but now he’s back to closing his eyes.

he moved back up to a basking spot, but i’m still a bit worried. this might be nothing, but i don’t want to take any chances since this is my first time with a cham.

his basking area is at 80 degrees right now, and i’ve misted twice today. he has lots of foliage, some live and some fake, and even has some natural sunlight from a nearby window.

The exo terra 100 is a compact bulb, right? You’ll need a linear, T5HO fixture.

Hi there. Can you take pics of the baby and the enclosure lights down so people can help you? A pic of the uvb you got today as well please.

Hi there. Can you take pics of the baby and the enclosure lights down so people can help you? A pic of the uvb you got today as well please.
here are some pics that may help to identify a problem
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Chameleons don’t really nap so you’re right that something is amiss.
I’d suggest filling out this form to help better understand what might be going on.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
Basking temp may be slightly too low. If not doing bio active would leave the bottom of the enclosure clear. Bowl is for feeding? Have you seen your Cham drink yet? How is the humidity? What size crickets are you feeding?

Please fill out the form in the link above. While I agree the UVB needs changed, that wouldn't have the champ napping during the day. Your chameleon might be in serious danger

Asking how is the baby panther.....how is it?? Have you been giving it water & food??? How about uv light??

here are some pics that may help to identify a problem
View attachment 270611View attachment 270612View attachment 270613

just an update for everyone asking, i purchased a t8 linear light, i will likely upgrade to a t5ho sometime soon, but the pet store only had a t8 light.

he hasn’t been closing his eyes, and has been much more active. he’s been eating enough, and i caught him drinking a couple times. i checked on his poops, and they look healthy.

he seems to be doing better now! thank you to everyone who helped

Back
Top Bottom