Baby Panther Chameleon Feeding/Lighting??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by G3RUD0, Sep 19, 2018.

1. G3RUD0

G3RUD0 New Member

She just used the bathroom for the first time (I fed her and she climbed onto my tongs and went right in front of me). I feel like I should be concerned due to that orange colour? 20180922_144732.jpg

2. Brodybreaux25

Brodybreaux25 Chameleon Enthusiast

Not concerned but something you defanitly want to improve on. I would expect her to not be getting optimal hydration right now but over the next two weeks there should be gradual progress towards very little to no orange.

How do you hydrate her?

3. G3RUD0

G3RUD0 New Member

I mist her cage several times a day (I know only 2-3 times but I also had low humidity in my house so I mist more). I've seen her drinking from her leaves but not much (which I don't expect either as she acclimates to her new home). She urinated as well so I know she's not too dehydrated.

4. Brodybreaux25

What do you mean she urinated as well?

5. G3RUD0

G3RUD0 New Member

After ahe defecated, a little drop of urine (with a feint yellow tint) came out as well. Looked on another forum about it and was said that, that's normal and meaning she is hydrated. Her urine was similar to the picture below. Screenshot_20180923-102826.png

6. Brodybreaux25

Ok just wanted to make sure you understood that the white solids were the urine, not the liquid.(y)

G3RUD0 likes this.
  7. G3RUD0

G3RUD0 New Member

She's only eating maybe 3-4 crickets per day and when I looked at her today, I noticed I could see her ribcage. I'm a bit alarmed worrying that she's not eating as much as she should. But I'm hoping that her not eating a lot is because she's still not acclimated? I have a cup of superworms at the bottom but she seems only interested in crickets. She even lets me know when she's done eating because she'll move away from me. I provided a picture but it's a bit hard to see being I didn't want to get so close up on her to take it..

Maybe I'm just stressing myself out but I would rather be safe than sorry lol.. 20180924_195301.jpg 20180924_200021.jpg

8. Brodybreaux25

Do you live in a state where marijuana is legal?

9. G3RUD0

G3RUD0 New Member

I do but what does that have to do with anything..? Lol

10. Brodybreaux25

Just kidding!

Young chams have very little fat on their body. Just like human kids they are lean and mean due to the fact that all the calories they take in are put towards growing, not the creation of fat. I have several young chams and you can see the ribs on each of them.

They are trying to catch the moths on the outside of the window in the pics below...

1A822354-1D62-4E2E-8AFC-FC1B59BE09B7.jpeg B6A5BA6B-F241-4B3A-8A67-50BC1797A625.jpeg A31F9D41-C29B-4DA9-A675-0DC7E0BF6373.jpeg

G3RUD0 likes this.
  11. Brodybreaux25

I was going to tell you to go smoke some and quit worrying so much!

mae_day and G3RUD0 like this.
  12. G3RUD0

G3RUD0 New Member

Hey! I just wanted to thank you (and everyone else) for helping me through all my worries with my chameleon. She's doing amazing; I was able to pull her out the other day to handle her (first time in two weeks). She was obviously nervous but did incredibly well. I plan on playing with her while my family helps clean and set up her viv.

20181007_134028.jpg 20181007_134120.jpg

mae_day likes this.
  13. Brodybreaux25

You are quite welcome. Just keep in mind cams are not fond of “playing.” Hate to see you loose all the progress you made...

14. G3RUD0

G3RUD0 New Member

Oh, I know! When I say "playing", it means when she comes out. I've only had her out once for less than five minutes (pics above). And I was going bring her onto my front porch and set her down on my umbrella plant (keeping my eye on her of course) while her enclosure is being cleaned. Won't mess with her much for a few days so she can acclimate to the new setup!

And I've actually known a few chams that didn't mind coming out to say "hi" from time to time when I've offered my hand! Very rare though lol :'p

ERKleRose and Brodybreaux25 like this.