baby panther chameleon 3 months old respiratory infection

papypoko

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon -
    Panther Chameleon ; Male ;
    almost 3 months old | 11 days in my care
  • Handling -
    only when i take him out for sunbathing at 7-9 Morning and put him back.
  • Feeding -
    i feed him with crickets , turkish roach, mealworm, darkling beetle;
    i give as many as he can eat, i just put like 10 turkish at the morning in feeding cup and take out at the afternoon at 2 P.M, i see he eat around half of the portion, in the first day he only eat 1 cricket.
    I gut load the feeder with green turnips & pak choy
  • Supplements -
    i give exoterra calcium non D3 every feeding.
    i have another exoterra calcium D3 and exoterra multi vitamin, but i dont give it yet.

• Watering -
    i use DIY auto mister that works perfectly for misting system.
    the schedule is
    7 AM - 2 minutes , 9 AM - 2 minutes , 12 PM - 3 minutes , and the rest is every hour for 1 minutes (i do this because my country bit warm climate , especially at the afternoon)
    i put the nozzle at the top of the screen with a dome , so its like mist + droplets of waters
  • Fecal Description -
    i compare the fecal with poop 1001 picture , its look normal , and it has white part (urate) looks white mean my chameleon drink
  • History -
    my chameleon poop normal on schedule, the appetite is increasing day by day than day 1 that he only ate 1 cricket every two days, now he ate turkish every day, and now he even want to explore the cage compared with several first days.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type -
    screen cage , size 60 x 60 x 120 cm ( i know its too big for 3 months old , thats why i use feeding cup)
  • Lighting -
    exoterra UVB 100 25w - turn on from 6 AM - 6 PM
  • Temperature -
    - my cage temp range between 30-32c (86-89.6F)
    - the lowest overnight temp is 29
    - i measure with two digital thermometers
    #my room temperature just the same 31c and sometimes almost 32c at the afternoon#
    #this is why i dont use any basking light anymore, because the temp is bit high#
  • Humidity -
    - Humidity fluctuates between 50(top cage) -65%(bottom cage) (daytime) and 70(bottom cage) - 60% ( top cage) (night time )
    - i have 2 live plants combined with auto mister / and have forest moss exoterra covering the soil in pot
    - i use two digital hygrometers to measure
    #my room humidty around 45%#
  • Plants - yes , i put 2 live plants with its pot each to maintain humidity level, i dont know the english name for that plant, but im sure its non toxic for chameleon.
  • Placement -
    i put the cage in my reptile room , at that position i can feel wind blowing slowly sometimes, i think its good for help air circulation.
    i put on top of cage holder/base , the base is 60cm, my drainage system at the bottom of the cage.
  • Location - i live in Jakarta - Indonesia. The temperature outside my house is around 32-33.. we only have two seasons, dry and rainy. Right now is dry season (or summer maybe in the other name)

Current Problem -
i think my chameleon get respiratory infection, i read the symptoms in this forum, ask friend and other article.
- He open his mouth sometimes under the uvb light,at the shade area, and while sleeping, the duration between 5-7 secs after that close his mouth again, after several minutes or maybe hours he open again. ( i working at home, so i can see his activity often)
- he has muscus at the corner of his mouth (i compare to youtube video and googling the picture of chameleon that have respiratory infection)
- i heard popping sounds sometimes, and sometimes while sleeping he open his mouth little bit
- sometimes he take a deep breath with mouth open
with several symptoms that i listed, i pretty sure that he got RI.

my treatment right now is i take him sunbathing like ussual every morning , and i do extra sunbathing before sunset at 4 PM for 30-1 hours..

the breeder that i bought this chameleon said to give terramycin with 1 droplet dose each morning.
but i doubt it, because i ask 2 others chameleon breeder in here , they said no need , just go for routine sunbathing and keep good gutload to the feeder.

im very worry if i dont give medicine, my chameleon will not get better..
i dont go to vet , because there is no good vet for reptile.

as i know the reptile community here ussualy give terramycin for reptile that had RI.

any suggestion what should i do ?

my other question is
In my case, what cause RI to my chameleon ? Because i want to fix it if my care still not proper,
to prevent next sickness.

i ask the breeder ,
My breeder said the temp is bit high and my humid is dry so i need to do every hour mist for 1 minutes even though at the night time.
And the other breeder said, two minutes are too long for misting baby panther, 1 minutes or less is enough,
and do it at 9AM ,12 PM , 1, 2, 3, 4 PM 1 minutes each and thats enough for the day and use dripper.

i dont know which one should i go, any suggestion for my misting schedule ?

at first i do 2 minutes misting every two hours but i change the schedule base what i read.
DSC_0067.JPG
DSC_0066.JPG

Last edited:
Another picture while he is sleeping, lil bit open mouth, i think he has difficulty to breath throught the nostril. So he is open the mouth little bit to breathe. DSC_0068.JPG

He needs meds and a vet. Not one medicine is a cure all. Some infections are caused by different bacteria, so some medicines will be ineffective. Baytril is what my Dr. would normally prescribe. 2 minute mistings are not too much at all. That should be enough to get him to start drinking. Mine will almost only drink from a dripper. So I provide plenty of misting plus dripper water. Also you need to make sure he is getting vitamin A into his system. @kinyonga @jannb

He needs meds and a vet. Not one medicine is a cure all. Some infections are caused by different bacteria, so some medicines will be ineffective. Baytril is what my Dr. would normally prescribe. 2 minute mistings are not too much at all. That should be enough to get him to start drinking. Mine will almost only drink from a dripper. So I provide plenty of misting plus dripper water. Also you need to make sure he is getting vitamin A into his system. @kinyonga @jannb

do you think my cage is humid enough for baby panther chameleon ? is anything still wrong with my cage ?
im still figuring out what cause RI on my chameleon , so next time i can prevent that happend again.

do you think my cage is humid enough for baby panther chameleon ? is anything still wrong with my cage ?
im still figuring out what cause RI on my chameleon , so next time i can prevent that happend again.
Do you have him next to an air condition unit or vent?

I think if your are misting the way you say you have been doing then it's plenty humid enough. I keep a humidifier around for dryer conditions. But with high amount of misting, you should be fine.

I think if your are misting the way you say you have been doing then it's plenty humid enough. I keep a humidifier around for dryer conditions. But with high amount of misting, you should be fine.
i put the cage 2 meters away from the stairs which is have a good airflow, if i stand there, i can feel wind blowing slowly sometimes.
i think its good for the cage..

I think my ambient temp is bit high and you said my cage humidity is humid enough ..
my first thougt , this condition make bacteria grow in the cage, but the cage ventilation is good, i use full screen cage. This thing make me bit confused.

Last edited:
in my case,
what cause RI to my chameleon ?
Is anything still wrong with my care ?
or maybe just a bad luck ?

in my case,
If you have him by a vent or were cool air comes out that can cause an RI. Bad luck doesn't cause RI. An error in husbandry does. Regardless of there being no good vet, he needs to see one. They can still weigh him and prescribe the correct amount of medicine he would need. Make sure to get Vit A in his system.

in my case,
And it's hard to say without really seeing his setup or truly know the conditions. Personally I don't think too high of wet conditions or humidity causes it. In Madagascar they have rainy seasons where it rains for weeks and months and these animals thrive. Not to say some don't get sick and die, but these guys thrive off high humidity. Now if there is standing water and accumulating mold, then that may very well be the cause. You said you have proper drainage right? The cage really needs to be cleaned out really well once a week. Just like a tub or shower, I see mold at the end of the week in a white tub. So the cage needs to be scrubbed very well that often. Especially if you Mist so much.

And it's hard to say without really seeing his setup or truly know the conditions. Personally I don't think too high of wet conditions or humidity causes it. In Madagascar they have rainy seasons where it rains for weeks and months and these animals thrive. Not to say some don't get sick and die, but these guys thrive off high humidity. Now if there is standing water and accumulating mold, then that may very well be the cause. You said you have proper drainage right? The cage really needs to be cleaned out really well once a week. Just like a tub or shower, I see mold at the end of the week in a white tub. So the cage needs to be scrubbed very well that often. Especially if you Mist so much.

hmmm oke ,
yesterday, i thought my misting schedule from the very first days is wrong.
From 6AM to 6PM .. the lighting turns on from 6AM to 6PM ..
i think this contribute to this case,
in the morning, light turn on and the misting system mist , no time for the chammy to warm up himself, and at 6PM the last mist after that the lights turn off,
im still thinking ..

about clean the cage, i do.
take out the live plant and plastic plant shower it , and the box for drainage i clean it every night..

my baby panther just died this morning, after a long search and asking my breeder what to do, i decided to give 1 drop of terramycin into his mouth.
5 minutes later i see he gasping and the mucus come out through his mouth , his body looks like cramp.
im very sad.

my baby panther just died this morning, after a long search and asking my breeder what to do, i decided to give 1 drop of terramycin into his mouth.
5 minutes later i see he gasping and the mucus come out through his mouth , his body looks like cramp.
im very sad.
I'm very sorry to hear that. I know how hard it is. I lost my first chameleon for the same reason. He had an RI and the Dr. Gave me an overdose of meds and it killed him. He turned black and started gagging as soon as I gave it to him and he died next day.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I know how hard it is. I lost my first chameleon for the same reason. He had an RI and the Dr. Gave me an overdose of meds and it killed him. He turned black and started gagging as soon as I gave it to him and he died next day.
yes, exactly like that, he turn black and gagging
i do deep research about terramycin ,
the dose is 15-25mg / kg for children below 8kg.
so 1 drop of terramycin is way too much for baby chameleon.
from this case, i have two lessons :
1. dont trust to the breeder directly.
2. if chameleon got early symptoms of RI , better just feed it well and sunbathing , hope the immune system can fight for it.
this is so heartbreaking

i need to learn more about chameleon health and care, to find out what is the best care in warm climate for panther chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom