baby nosy be panthers for $129.00

Fate X

i just was checking the reptile auction site and someone is selling baby nosy be panthers for a unbelievable $ 129.00 i never seen these kind for that cheap. has anyone purchased any of these? i would be intrested on how healthy they are.

For starters, they are only a month old. It would be hard on them to be shipped, especially now that the temperatures are changing. You wouldn't be able to specify sex at that age either.

Heika

There are some auction sites nortorious for being scams...they put the ad but but there is no reptile in reality. I know someone who got taken to the tune of 800 bucks

I just looked at that ad...

1. Any experienced reputable cham breeder will not sell a baby younger than 3 months.

2. That particular seller has only been registered there since Sept. 22, with only (I believe) 9 feedback posts.

3. Looking at that seller's other current auctions, I see way too many snakes and turtles...maybe not a chameleon "person" or breeder. Looks more like a broker to me. Could be a hobbyist with a pair of Nosy's, but even the low price doesn't entice me.

4. The seller does not list his/her location. I see the zip code 35188 for the chams, which is Alabama. When I look at "Herpetology101"'s other auctions (snakes, turts), I see a zip of 53214 for a few snakes and the zip 53140 for a couple turts. Those are Wisconsin zip codes.

That said, I also am not intimating that the seller is scamming, otherwise unscrupulous or would sell inferior animals. I am just more comfortable spending the extra bucks to get a cham from a breeder with a website or published email address, phone number and name! I won't be bidding :)

its good you investigated into this that is the ad i seen because i remember herpetology 101 nicknamejust for note when i bought my veileds at a reptile show the breeder i got them from also had 2 pair of ambanga or sambava panther babies it was one of those he was asking $115.00 a peice.
they might of been2-3 months old they looked the same as the veils as far as size they might not of been morphs.
in this situation its most likely a good deal because you can see what your buying .

i wonder if you send your money for a panther for $129.00 +19.00 and never get nothing or maybe they send you a veiled.

Hey I know you Canucks speak english........(most of you)
If its too good to be true, why would it be?
No I disagree once more, and as for speaking English, Canadians speak English, whereas, Americans speak American. Quit changing the language's rules! OK lets look at this:

Your version:

If its too good to be true, it probably isn't.
It ISN'T too good to be true... so it's true. The deal would be legit.

My version:

If its too good to be true, it probably is.
It IS too good to be true... it's not true. It would not be a deal.

No I disagree once more, and as for speaking English, Canadians speak English, whereas, Americans speak American. Quit changing the language's rules! OK lets look at this:

Your version:

If its too good to be true, it probably isn't.
It ISN'T too good to be true... so it's true. The deal would be legit.

My version:

If its too good to be true, it probably is.
It IS too good to be true... it's not true. It would not be a deal.

hahahaa

The mother of one of my best friends is a university proffesor for linguistics and according to that department, American english is more proper than all the other countries that speak it. The UK version is horrid in comparison.

To clarify...........

If its too good to be true, it probably isnt........ meaning it isnt true.

6 in one hand and a half dozen in the other I suppose but I love all the threadjacking weve done here.

what about the Kammers at chameleonsonly.com, they ae one of themost reputable breeders out there! They selll chams at 2.5 months old.

True, and I have prchased from them...but, as I also said in my previous post,"I am just more comfortable spending the extra bucks to get a cham from a breeder with a website or published email address, phone number and name.". That would be Ed and Liddy, for example. They also would never ship at a month old, and I don't believe they would ship unless they know for sure the baby is ready, be it 2.5 or 3 months. Obviously, we all know who the reputable cham breeders are out there. It goes without saying they are members of that group.

It's not age, it's health and hardiness. The Kammer's 2.5 month olds are just as healthy and just as prepared to be shipped as anyone else's full 3 month old (ready) chameleons. And it goes vice versa as well, in that there are often 3 month old babies that are NOT prepared to be shipped.

Last edited:
It's not age, it's health and hardiness. The Kammer's 2.5 month olds are just as large, just as healthy and just as prepared to be shipped as anyone elses full 3 month old (ready) chameleons. And it goes vice versa aswell, in that there are often 3 month old babies that are NOT prepared to be shipped.

Is that the voice of experience? Have you purchased a panther chameleon from the Kammers? I didn't realize they shipped to Canada, but it really sounds like you have seen some of their 2.5 month old chameleons.

Heika

No you are correct Heika, I can't personally vouch for their health from seing them in person. And I am sorry, I SHOULD have mentioned that in my posts.

However after corrosponding with the Kammers a few times, and seeing countless photos, as many of us have, being on forums, from people who have bought from them, I can confidently say that I cannot see any reason why the experience of the Kammers (22 years experience with shipping live reptiles) selling chameleons ~15 days earlier than other companies should be a worry.

Last edited:
The issue caught my eye ..

First off, $129 for month-olds is a terrible deal. If you are enticed enough to buy them at that age/size, I can find you plenty of sellers at that price or better.

Here's what you get:

1) A very unhardy animal.

2) Unreliable sexing.

3) Pot-luck locale and color, especially with males.

Here's a statement that I take umbrage with:

Any experienced reputable cham breeder will not sell a baby younger than 3 months.

FYI, its not age, but size. In the right environment, some 3 month old chams can be 8" plus in total length, and eating adult crickets. While there is little debate that a one-month-old chameleon is too small and delicate regardless of growing conditions, buying one at 2.5 months may be a misnomer as well. Its all in the size, and it can vary dramatically depending on where and how the animal was raised. My advice to any buyer is to look beyond an ad that says "8 weeks old, well started, ..... etc", and get a length on the critter, preferably a picture as well. Also, there is a large school of thought that says that waiting to buy a male panther until it is approx 8" total, and starting to show its own true color, is the best measure of how it will look ! What a concept !!

No need to be offended, Jim.
You and Will are correct, of course, that size, heartiness/health, husbandry and even genetics are more important factors than simply age in purchasing a baby. My blanket statement did come off as too judgemental and elementary. I've bought chams at around 2.5 - 3 months, but they were from breeders like you and the Kammers, breeders who obviously KNOW when a baby is ready to move, not anonymous entities off an auction block. (But to be honest, the Ambilobe I got from you was already around 11", mean as hell.. that's fine with me.. and had already begun his adult coloration, just as you stated.)
Again, no offense intended by my poorly phrased, too-general blanket statement.

Back
Top Bottom