Baby male veiled does not open eyes?

sarahdjango

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - I just got a male veiled chameleon, I have had him for three days. He is 2 months old, from lllreptile if that's relevant.
Handling - I handle him pretty often, because he seems to like crawling on my hand, and does not darken in color or hiss or move away when i put my hand in. I handle him in order to feed him carnivore care and water.
Feeding - I fed him 5 phoenix worms the second day i had him and some fruit flies. -- he pooped one out whole, threw up another. They may have been too big for him. Since then he has had his eyes closed all day, so i syringe feed him carnivore care.
Supplements - I dust at every feeding with herptivite and vit D. i don't think this is very relevant because he has only eaten feeders once since ive had him.
Watering - I have a habba mister which seems pretty useless. i have it on for 45 secs every 3 hours. I also hand spray every couple of hours.
Fecal Description - looks alright. poop is a little liquidly, but urate is white. He is captive bread so parasite are hopefully not present.
History - no idea. he is a little baby i just got from a captive breeder.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen cage, 18x18x36. i have some saran wrap(no reflection) stuck on the back to try to keep humidity up. no real luck there.
Lighting - reptisun 5.0 and 50W heat from 8AM to 8:30PM
Temperature - bottom is around 75, basking spot reaches 82 ish? overnight the whole enclosure goes to 75ish. I use a probe that stays at the basking spot and a gauge in the middle of the cage.
Humidity - I use a humidity gauge to measure. having trouble keeping up humidity-- it falls to 40% which i know is too low. i mist whenever i can and it gets up to 60 but i do not want too much water in the cage so have not tried more. need help here please.
Plants - i have an umbrella tree, pothos, spider plant, and one other i cannot rememeber the name but i verified from the online list of safe plants.
Placement - the top of the cage is 6 feet off the ground, in my room. i turn my lights off with his lights, except a lamp
Location - central NJ

Current Problem - My chameleon walks around with his eyes closed! i used to use a single bulb combines UVB and heat but this morning changed to reptisun because i thought that could have been the problem... fed him some past food so he wouldnt be starving. I need help raising humidity and why do you think his eyes are always closed?

some images

sorry, forgot to add these.

Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 3.30.32 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 3.30.50 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 3.31.10 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 3.31.16 PM.jpg [/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 3.30.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 3.30.40 PM.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 53
You say it is not relevant, but you are starting out down the wrong path. You need regular calcium with NO D3 every feeding, multivitamin 2 times a month, and calcium WITH D3 2 times a month.

This is the link to the Veiled care sheet. Please read over it and make sure you follow it. This is one of the best resources out there for how to take care of a veiled chameleon.

What type of reptisun bulb are you using? Is it a linear bulb or a coil bulb?

You lamp at night should not be on once his lights go out. They need darkness in order to sleep.

For feeding, trying about 10 - 15 of the 1/4 inch size crickets a day. Your little guy should be eating lots right now as a youngster.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

You say it is not relevant, but you are starting out down the wrong path. You need regular calcium with NO D3 every feeding, multivitamin 2 times a month, and calcium WITH D3 2 times a month.

This is the link to the Veiled care sheet. Please read over it and make sure you follow it. This is one of the best resources out there for how to take care of a veiled chameleon.

What type of reptisun bulb are you using? Is it a linear bulb or a coil bulb?

You lamp at night should not be on once his lights go out. They need darkness in order to sleep.

For feeding, trying about 10 - 15 of the 1/4 inch size crickets a day. Your little guy should be eating lots right now as a youngster.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

All the lights go off at night.
i use the linear reptison 5.0
he wil not open his eyes to eat. there is some other problem. please help i cant even get him to walk around anymore

All the lights go off at night.
i use the linear reptison 5.0
he wil not open his eyes to eat. there is some other problem. please help i cant even get him to walk around anymore

Get him in to a vet right away! If he is not even moving around there is another issue. Do not hesitate on bringing him to a vet that knows chameleons. Chameleons just like dogs and cats need to be seen by vets.

If you purchase an insect in between his teeth so he will bite it will he ear it. Carnivore care should only be a last resort IMHO. It contains D3 and prEformed vitamin A. "bug juice" would be a better choice. There is a recipe for it in the net.

Phoenix worms can be hard for them to digest. I would use well fed and gutloaded crickets of an appropriate size.

Have you been spraying water right in his mouth? Does he gape? Have you been careful with the syringing that you didn't get food into his lungs??

If you purchase an insect in between his teeth so he will bite it will he ear it. Carnivore care should only be a last resort IMHO. It contains D3 and prEformed vitamin A. "bug juice" would be a better choice. There is a recipe for it in the net.

Phoenix worms can be hard for them to digest. I would use well fed and gutloaded crickets of an appropriate size.

Have you been spraying water right in his mouth? Does he gape? Have you been careful with the syringing that you didn't get food into his lungs??

okay, thanks for the help! i only syringe a little into his mouth at a time, i think he is okay. he does not drink much or gape... he really jist loes around. however, i did just get him. after calling lllreptile they said it could be stress.

I would drip water on the end of his nose at the rate of a drip or two a second to see if you can get him to drink. This may take some patience.

Back
Top Bottom