Baby Jacson's subspecies

Calavera

Established Member
After a long search for a CB Jackson's, i found a baby at the East Bay Vivarium four days ago. This little gem is eating like a pig and drinking regularly!:D I have only owned 2 Jackson's in my lifetime; one of which was a female C.j. xantholophus and the other was a female C.j. merumontanus. Both Jackson's were purchased upon sexual maturity, so i had little expierence with Jackson's neonates. I had both females for about 5 years but never decided to breed them. When i purchased this baby Jackson's, the sticker on the cage full of baby's read: "C.J. xantholophus." Based on past experiences, i never fully trust store labels, and take it upon myself to polish up my ability to sex/ identify less-common chameleon species. When i asked the store employee if it was indeed a xantholophus, he said that it was "The Hawaiian subspecies." Based on my unrefined knowledge of Jackson's, i always was told that C.J. xantholophus was the Hawaiian introduced subspecies. The reason i am in doubt that this chameleon is a C.j. xantholophus is because every one of its siblings had horns. Some had horns that were bigger then others, but every one had both pre-ocular and rostral horns. I thought that the nominate C.j. jacksonii was the subspecies that demonstrated both pre-ocular and rostral horns in females? If the baby's were C.j. xantholophus, would'nt the females lack these horns? Here are some pictures of baby "Mac", if you have any input on it's sex / subspecies, i would greatly apprecite it. :)

-Cala-

Last edited:
Here are my jacksoni jacksoni. Notice the difference in the dorsal crest. I assume these are both females.
29007young_female1.jpg

29007young_female2.jpg

the females have horns bu really small. hardly noticeable, but they are there. If your Jacksons are the "Hawaii sub species" then they are males. those horns are way too large for a female at that age.

I saw EBV's ad for them....Did they tell you how old Max is? Triggs is 6 weeks +. PM me and I can send you a pic of him. AND we share the same birthDAY. All Saint's Day :D aka Halloween
Btw.. he looks great! Fat and healthy. :D

Back
Top Bottom