baby jackson's update

sharkey

all 10 from the unexpected birth are still alive, eating and drinking from what we can see. they sure are cute!

any suggestions on what type of light system to buy? since the compacts were nixed in this forum i'd appreciate specific brands that people use, and a url if possible! right now i take everyone outside for sun for most of the day - but i'll need lighting for when i am away. i just found the thread about mercury vapor and what i understand is that they produce heat - something i DON'T want - it is too hot where i live already - plus jackson's like it cooler than desert spp.
thanx

Last edited:
Wasn't it just certain types of compact UVB bulbs that were causing problems?

I just got a new 26W Repti-Glo 5.0 for my chams. I was sure that this one wasn't on the dangerous list!! And I think the 2.0 's were OK as well. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dyesub Dave. :D

I would just stay away from the compacts-better safe than sorry. Reptilesupply.com has Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 tube flourescents for 17.99 and you can get a nice cheap Walmart fixture to put it in.

Well after reading over that article again on UVB problems it seems that they were caused by the ZOOMED REPTI-SUN bulbs. I have an EXO-TERRA REPTI-GLO bulb. It's the spiral UVB bulb ... I think that's the same one that you have Sharkey. So I think that the ones we have are OK!!

I hear what you're saying Juli but if there are no bad reports on these specific bulbs then I'm not going to assume that anything is wrong with them. And unfortunately a couple of my enclosures won't really work with the tube fluorescent bulbs.

Maybe I'll just switch to Mercury Vapor Bulbs!!

Dyesub Dave. :D

I don't recall any issues with your brand either, but many of the breeders have had issues actually using the compact bulbs, no matter what the brand. Either by concentrating the UVB to a very small range, or by causing eye issues.

Back
Top Bottom