Baby furcifer verrucossus uv

fuzzhc

Today my baby furcifer verrucossus arrived! Yay! He's around 16 weeks old and I've put him straight into a reptile breeze xl. Within minutes he was hunting down locusts, soldier flys and house flys. He even ate a few calci worms right out my hand, result! :p

Anyways I am using a 12% t5 arcadia unit on the top of his cage and the closest branch to it is around 10-11" away. The breeder said that is fine because in the wild they like to bask in high uv readings, he knows his stuff and has documented his trip to Madagascar taking uv readings. My question is though should I play it on the safe side and put another layer of screen under the tube even just for a couple months till he is a bit older?

DSC_0399.JPG
DSC_0387.JPG
DSC_0381.JPG

As long as he has lots of places to get away from the more intense light when he wants to he's probably fine. Watch for him closing his eyes while he's basking. I love verrucosus! The metallic greens and turquoise they show when fired up is amazing. Another underrated species IMHO.

Thanks I'll keep an eye on him then. Yeah they are amazing and a bit different! Today I noticed a slight green coming through, can't wait to see the changes as he gets older :D all I have read states that they are generally quite shy chameleons, I'm hoping seen as he is cbb maybe he might end up like my panthers and friendly aswell :LOL:

Thanks I'll keep an eye on him then. Yeah they are amazing and a bit different! Today I noticed a slight green coming through, can't wait to see the changes as he gets older :D all I have read states that they are generally quite shy chameleons, I'm hoping seen as he is cbb maybe he might end up like my panthers and friendly aswell :LOL:

The only one I've kept was wc, and gently shy, but he tolerated a little handling. I just didn't force him too often. Just have to wait and see how tolerant he is. We don't have the benefit of multiple generations of this species yet. They have a beaded skin pattern (hence the name "warty" or "wart-like"...verrucosus) that is subtly beautiful from close up.

Back
Top Bottom