Baby female Veiled having issues

Demurph

Hi everyone,

My name is Debs and I would appreciate some advice. Not looking for actual medical advice but more a... what would you do in this situation?

I have inherited a 4-5 month old female who... she's not right. It seems like she actually can't see as she doesn't hunt and is often blindly looking for something to hold on to or just not at all looking at where she's going as she will just walk right into the side of her tank (she's currently in a wooden/glass viv with a mesh top - I have a full mesh cage on order to arrive tomorrow). Even if you hold food right in front of her, she won't take it, I'm having to gently open her mouth and then actually put the cricket in at which point, she will eat. With water, I have a syringe that I use to put a drop on her lips, and she then drinks as much as she wants to but she is still quite dehydrated. I'm misting the tank a lot but she just... she just doesn't seem to know how or have the want to actually feed and water herself. Just to give you as much info as possible, and this isn't going to be well worded so forgive me, but today I did notice that she had finally taken the biggest poop which clearly showed the level of dehydration. So thankfully, it looks like things are all working there.

On the flip side though, today, it seemed like at times, she was able to see. I approached her tank earlier and she opened her eye when I did and showed me some dark spots. She was mad at me about the previous feeding. I've had her for about a week and that was the first time she had actually gone dark, (she's usually just pale green with some whitey yellowy bits) and I feel like this can't be a coincidence. There are other times when I'm sure she is looking at me or her surroundings, her eyes are perfectly formed... there's no sign of physical damage to either of her eyes.

In herself usually, she's a chilled and happy little thing. She is really happy to be handled, doesn't hiss or try to bite, even when stressed, can actually move around quite well and is just thoroughly lovely. I'm actually surprised she's still surviving. I am going to get her to the vets as soon as I can to get their advice but I kind of wondered if anyone else had experienced anything like this and just get your opinions on the situation. I'm trying not to let my emotions get in the way of deciding what's best for her. Obviously I want her to survive and I am more than willing to put in the time and effort to help her do so... but knowing how they can be, is it actually right to put her in that position where I am going to have to handle her several times a day, maybe for the rest of her life, to make her eat when it's clearly an unpleasant activity for her and could potentially end up causing more damage? Drinking isn't so much of a drama but with a full time job, I'm only gonna be around in the evening to hydrate her and I'm worried that's not enough. I don't want to hurt her or make her sad, I really don't, but I am so reluctant to have her put to sleep when she's so active and happy most of the time. This post may seem callous but I just want the best for this little creature so if anyone has any thoughts, I would really appreciate hearing them.

Thank you for your time and sorry that my first post is about a fairly horrible subject!

Welcome to the forum! If you could please fill this out with as much detail and specifics as possible and post pics of her and her current enclosure.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

make sure you fill out the form in detail, do you havea lay bin? at 6 months she could be ready to lay

Yes, please fill out that form and post below. Also any photos of the chameleon and enclosure will help us give advice.

Generally, if a chameleon is sleeping or has one or both eyes closed during the day we suggest a vet visit. Chameleons can hide illness well so when you start seeing visual symptoms, like closed eyes, then you don't have much time to correct the issue before things really go downhill.

Back
Top Bottom