baby chameleon won’t eat

avamc13

I got my baby chameleon early yesterday and it’s the end of today and i have yet to see him eat. i have tried to feed him crickets, mealworms, and flightless flies but he hasn’t eaten any of them. i tried to hand feed and put them in a container but he doesn’t seem to want them. he’s starting to look really skinny and i’m scared that if he doesn’t eat soon he’ll die. i have a uvb light and basking light and pretty good foliage. i spray the cage multiple times a day and there’s a dropper plant. he seems to be staying in the same spot all day. he’s not a dark color. his eyes are sometimes closed when i look at him. please help me figure out what’s going on. i would also like to know the specifics for temperature and the uvb light. i also know he’s not supposed to be that close to the basking light but i’m scared to touch him and steer him out. i turn the basking light off at night. is that right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 130
Where did you get your chameleon? He is just a teeny tiny baby and really looks way too young to have been sold. How old is he/she? Looks to be just a couple of weeks old. I know very little about caring for ones so young. At that tiny though you should be feeding fruit flies and pinhead crickets. The feeders shouldn’t be any bigger than the space between the eyes. Mealworms are not good for chameleons. It would probably be best to move him to a small enclosure. I’m not positive, but I believe basking temps should be around 80. A few experienced keepers have been alerted...let me alert some more. @JoXie411 @jannb @janjan20 @snitz427 @JacksJill

Have you tried spraying around the plants they tend to drink water drop keys and don’t force feed them I think maybe he might be stressed out he might just need to get use to his new cage because it’s to big make sure to have places for him to stretch and hide but also make sure he feels safe are you daily cleaning his cage ?

Also make sure you are taking the pesticides off the plants before you introduce them to you’re baby you can use organic soil

@avamc13 you have a very very young baby. Personally I would set up a plastic tote for baby. With a little branch network and small live plant that is shorter then the tote. It will be easier to monitor it. You want UVB only right now. No heat lamp at all. You need a 5.0 UVB bulb. And this need to be suspended above the tote. So that you have an 11 inch space between the highest point baby can bask and the bottom of the fixture. This will give you a UVI level of 3 for him and not be too much or too little.
You will need lots and lots of pinhead crickets and flightless fruitflies.

You can use egg cartons and put a bit of banana in it and then dump the flightless fruit flies in the section and they will all stay on that piece of bananas then you can position the egg carton piece so that he can get it easily in the plant.

I do not know who sold you such a young baby but it is not something they should have done.

You will need calcium without D3 for sure for lightly dusting feeders.. But I am not sure what else new babies get.

Maybe @jannb can post pics of her totes and give you feedback on how you should be supplementing for such a young baby.

You can try purchasing rice flour beetles A lot of breeders like to offer these as a snake that stays in the cage see the babies can get a snack whenever they need one.

You might want to consider putting the baby in a smaller cage for now just so you can observe it better. That way the little one doesn’t take up so much energy trying to find its food.

be careful to not overheating the baby too much and don’t allow the baby to get too colD. You might not even need a basking spot at the moment because the uvb light might be producing the right about of heat. You want to keep the baby no warmer then 80.

I’m sorry to take over your post, don’t know how to create a new one?...I’m a bit worried about my baby cham...he/she is not eating. Today is the 3rd day it’s not eating...the last time he/she at was on Saturday...3 crickets...I’ve read the posts about stress and shedding...I can’t see any signs of shedding, I think it could be stress, I don’t know...On the one hand I think it may be because since I got him (have him now for 2 and a half weeks) he ate crickets. I am buying some worms tomorrow to see if he will eat it...I’ve attached photos of the baby so you could see...the baby does get more than enough water and the poo I have seen looks normal

Attachments

• 55352276-B469-46C8-9C23-8902FDEED8D7.jpeg
    55352276-B469-46C8-9C23-8902FDEED8D7.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 54
  • 237A8960-B37B-44E7-B28D-749CCA8F1CEF.jpeg
    237A8960-B37B-44E7-B28D-749CCA8F1CEF.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 64
I’m sorry to take over your post, don’t know how to create a new one?...I’m a bit worried about my baby cham...he/she is not eating. Today is the 3rd day it’s not eating...the last time he/she at was on Saturday...3 crickets...I’ve read the posts about stress and shedding...I can’t see any signs of shedding, I think it could be stress, I don’t know...On the one hand I think it may be because since I got him (have him now for 2 and a half weeks) he ate crickets. I am buying some worms tomorrow to see if he will eat it...I’ve attached photos of the baby so you could see...the baby does get more than enough water and the poo I have seen looks normal
To create your own post, which I suggest you do, go to forums and then health clinic. In the top right you’ll see create post. Click that and you’ll be able to make your own thread. I also suggest copying/pasting the below questions with your answers in your own post. :) If you can provide pictures of your entire enclosure, top to bottom and get a better couple of pics from your cham, it would really help.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

To create your own post, which I suggest you do, go to forums and then health clinic. In the top right you’ll see create post. Click that and you’ll be able to make your own thread. I also suggest copying/pasting the below questions with your answers in your own post. :) If you can provide pictures of your entire enclosure, top to bottom and get a better couple of pics from your cham, it would really help.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom