Baby Chameleon Not Eating

You need to work quickly to give her the proper sized insects and make sure her husbandry is right. We really need you to answer the questions so we can see if we can figure out how to help her if you're going to keep her.

What's the temperature in the cage?
How are you watering her?
What light(s) do you have on the cage? UVB?
This will just get us started...we still need all the questions answered.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Female, pet store said about 6 months. How long has it been in your care? 10 days
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Ive held her twice in the past 10 days once the day i got her and today.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets What amount? 4 at a time What is the schedule? No set schedule How are you gut-loading your feeders? sprinkling with calcium every feed, but she hasn't been eating much. I will be getting smaller crickets in the morning when stores are open.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repti Calcium Zoo Med every feeding as directed by pet store.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? a spray bottle to mist the cage How often and how long to you mist? 6 times a day and whenever I see the cage getting dry from the lights Do you see your chameleon drinking? yes
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?unsure about parasites, but her fecal is white and blackish brown. consistency is kinda more liquid and some solid.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Unknown
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) All screen What are the dimensions? 31.2 x 16.8 x 9 inches
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Tropical UVB & Heat lighting kit by Zoo Med What is your daily lighting schedule? all day the heat and lights are one and at night only heat is on.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? In the Zoo Med chameleon kit there was a measuring tool for the temperature of the basking spot which is 93.9 F
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I do not have anything to check humidity
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?the cage is about 4 feet off of the ground and is not near a fan of anything
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Illinois
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Not eating properly might be dehydrated.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Female, pet store said about 6 months. How long has it been in your care? 10 days
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Ive held her twice in the past 10 days once the day i got her and today.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets What amount? 4 at a time What is the schedule? No set schedule How are you gut-loading your feeders? sprinkling with calcium every feed, but she hasn't been eating much. I will be getting smaller crickets in the morning when stores are open.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repti Calcium Zoo Med every feeding as directed by pet store.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? a spray bottle to mist the cage How often and how long to you mist? 6 times a day and whenever I see the cage getting dry from the lights Do you see your chameleon drinking? yes
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?unsure about parasites, but her fecal is white and blackish brown. consistency is kinda more liquid and some solid.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Unknown
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) All screen What are the dimensions? 31.2 x 16.8 x 9 inches
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Tropical UVB & Heat lighting kit by Zoo Med What is your daily lighting schedule? all day the heat and lights are one and at night only heat is on.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? In the Zoo Med chameleon kit there was a measuring tool for the temperature of the basking spot which is 93.9 F
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I do not have anything to check humidity
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?the cage is about 4 feet off of the ground and is not near a fan of anything
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Illinois
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Not eating properly might be dehydrated.
The chameleon kit is a joke. Hope you're ready to spend some more money?! Because your chameleon is super stressed, super thin, and possibly even dehydrated. The reason for all this has to do with your husbandry and the husbandry or the lack there of in didn't receive from Petsmart. She has no where to hide or climb except the screen and a few plastic plants. She needs a highway of horizontal branches in the top 2/3 of the enclosure. As well as live plants with large enough leaves so the leaves will catch water droplets for her to lick up. Females and especially juveniles don't need a basking temp above 82*. You'll need a hydrometer to measure your humidity. Should be 30-40% during the day and up to 90-100% at night. The cage should be allowed to have time to dry out between mistings. If not you're risking a URI. Higher humidity can be achieved with a cool mist ultrasonic humidifier which will need weekly cleaninings and distilled or spring water. She needs vitamins and minerals as well as calcium. What are you gutloading your feeders with? What you put in your bugs gets out into your chameleon after all. Also you said you keep heat on all night? I'm assuming you mean basking bulb? Chameleons need complete darkness at night and can take temp drops at night down into the low 50s. The chameleon kit also includes a pointless UVB bulb that does little to nothing at all as far getting the correct UVI level for natural D3 production. You'll need a linear T5HO UVB lamp as well.

Oh and because you purchased a female you'll need a laybin for her. She's basically a green tree chicken because they produce infertile eggs that will need to be laid.

Good luck. And please use the knowledge on this site to help you and your chameleon make it through this crucial stage in her life.

Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Female, pet store said about 6 months. How long has it been in your care? 10 days

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Ive held her twice in the past 10 days once the day i got her and today.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets What amount? 4 at a time What is the schedule? No set schedule How are you gut-loading your feeders? sprinkling with calcium every feed, but she hasn't been eating much. I will be getting smaller crickets in the morning when stores are open.
GOOD LUCK!

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repti Calcium Zoo Med every feeding as directed by pet store.
FOR YEARS I'VE USED REPCAL PHOS FREE CLCIUM AT ALMOST EVERY FEEDING LIGHTLY AND REPCAL PHOS FREE CALCIUM/D3 POWDER TWICE A MONTH LIGHTLY AND HERPTIVITE LIGHTLY TWiCE A MONTH.
I fEED/GUTLOAD THE INSECTS WITH DANDELION GREENS, KALE, COLLARDS, CARROTS, SQUASH, ZUCCHINI, SWEET POTATO, SWEET RED PEPPER, etc, AND A BIT OF APPLE, PEAR, MELON, etc.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? a spray bottle to mist the cage How often and how long to you mist? 6 times a day and whenever I see the cage getting dry from the lights Do you see your chameleon drinking? yes

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?unsure about parasites, but her fecal is white and blackish brown. consistency is kinda more liquid and some solid.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Unknown

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) All screen What are the dimensions? 31.2 x 16.8 x 9 inches 9 INCHES?

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Tropical UVB & Heat lighting kit by Zoo Med What is your daily lighting schedule? all day the heat and lights are one and at night only heat is on. THERE SHOULD BE NO LIGHT AT NIGHT. THEY CAN TAKE TEMPERATURES DOWN TO 60F EASILY.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? In the Zoo Med chameleon kit there was a measuring tool for the temperature of the basking spot which is 93.9 F
I WOULD LOWER THE BASKING TEMPERATURE TO 85 F or SO.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I do not have anything to check humidity

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants
I WOULD GET NON TOXIC PLANTS AND WASH tHEM WELL?..BOTH SIDES OF THE LEAvES.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?the cage is about 4 feet off of the ground and is not near a fan of anything

Location - Where are you geographically located? Illinois

FEMALE VEILEDS CAN PRODUCE EGGS WITHOUT HAVING MATED SO ITS IMPORTANT THAT THERE IS A sUITABLE EGG LAYING CONTAINER iN HER CAsGE AT ALL TIMES ONCE SHE iS SEXUALLY MATURE.

Besides crickets, you could also try some BSFL, also known as Phoenix worms or calci worms. Those should be small enough for her to eat easily. I’m not a fan of super worms, but those also might be small enough. The pet store should have both of those. For feeding, you could try putting her bugs in a small plastic container (I use Tupperware or washed yogurt cup) and hold it where she can see and easily get them.
My favorite plant for my veiled girls is Pothos...inexpensive, safe for them to nibble and as it grows it adds vine roads and leafs to drink from and hide in.
Do keep us posted with her progress.

The chameleon kit is a joke. Hope you're ready to spend some more money?! Because your chameleon is super stressed, super thin, and possibly even dehydrated. The reason for all this has to do with your husbandry and the husbandry or the lack there of in didn't receive from Petsmart. She has no where to hide or climb except the screen and a few plastic plants. She needs a highway of horizontal branches in the top 2/3 of the enclosure. As well as live plants with large enough leaves so the leaves will catch water droplets for her to lick up. Females and especially juveniles don't need a basking temp above 82*. You'll need a hydrometer to measure your humidity. Should be 30-40% during the day and up to 90-100% at night. The cage should be allowed to have time to dry out between mistings. If not you're risking a URI. Higher humidity can be achieved with a cool mist ultrasonic humidifier which will need weekly cleaninings and distilled or spring water. She needs vitamins and minerals as well as calcium. What are you gutloading your feeders with? What you put in your bugs gets out into your chameleon after all. Also you said you keep heat on all night? I'm assuming you mean basking bulb? Chameleons need complete darkness at night and can take temp drops at night down into the low 50s. The chameleon kit also includes a pointless UVB bulb that does little to nothing at all as far getting the correct UVI level for natural D3 production. You'll need a linear T5HO UVB lamp as well.

Oh and because you purchased a female you'll need a laybin for her. She's basically a green tree chicken because they produce infertile eggs that will need to be laid.

Good luck. And please use the knowledge on this site to help you and your chameleon make it through this crucial stage in her life.
Thank you so very much for this help I will make sure I start getting everything I need for her! I started off turning off the light at night and was yelled at by the lady at pet smart because she “uses the heat to metabolize her food and needs it 24/7” I’m glad that there are educated people like you here to help because I’ve been misinformed time and time again! I’ll keep you posted on her recovery!

Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Female, pet store said about 6 months. How long has it been in your care? 10 days

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Ive held her twice in the past 10 days once the day i got her and today.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets What amount? 4 at a time What is the schedule? No set schedule How are you gut-loading your feeders? sprinkling with calcium every feed, but she hasn't been eating much. I will be getting smaller crickets in the morning when stores are open.
GOOD LUCK!

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repti Calcium Zoo Med every feeding as directed by pet store.
FOR YEARS I'VE USED REPCAL PHOS FREE CLCIUM AT ALMOST EVERY FEEDING LIGHTLY AND REPCAL PHOS FREE CALCIUM/D3 POWDER TWICE A MONTH LIGHTLY AND HERPTIVITE LIGHTLY TWiCE A MONTH.
I fEED/GUTLOAD THE INSECTS WITH DANDELION GREENS, KALE, COLLARDS, CARROTS, SQUASH, ZUCCHINI, SWEET POTATO, SWEET RED PEPPER, etc, AND A BIT OF APPLE, PEAR, MELON, etc.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? a spray bottle to mist the cage How often and how long to you mist? 6 times a day and whenever I see the cage getting dry from the lights Do you see your chameleon drinking? yes

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?unsure about parasites, but her fecal is white and blackish brown. consistency is kinda more liquid and some solid.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Unknown

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) All screen What are the dimensions? 31.2 x 16.8 x 9 inches 9 INCHES?

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Tropical UVB & Heat lighting kit by Zoo Med What is your daily lighting schedule? all day the heat and lights are one and at night only heat is on. THERE SHOULD BE NO LIGHT AT NIGHT. THEY CAN TAKE TEMPERATURES DOWN TO 60F EASILY.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? In the Zoo Med chameleon kit there was a measuring tool for the temperature of the basking spot which is 93.9 F
I WOULD LOWER THE BASKING TEMPERATURE TO 85 F or SO.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I do not have anything to check humidity

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants
I WOULD GET NON TOXIC PLANTS AND WASH tHEM WELL?..BOTH SIDES OF THE LEAvES.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?the cage is about 4 feet off of the ground and is not near a fan of anything

Location - Where are you geographically located? Illinois

FEMALE VEILEDS CAN PRODUCE EGGS WITHOUT HAVING MATED SO ITS IMPORTANT THAT THERE IS A sUITABLE EGG LAYING CONTAINER iN HER CAsGE AT ALL TIMES ONCE SHE iS SEXUALLY MATURE.
Thank you so much for this information I’m going to get everything she needs to help with her recovery!

Besides crickets, you could also try some BSFL, also known as Phoenix worms or calci worms. Those should be small enough for her to eat easily. I’m not a fan of super worms, but those also might be small enough. The pet store should have both of those. For feeding, you could try putting her bugs in a small plastic container (I use Tupperware or washed yogurt cup) and hold it where she can see and easily get them.
My favorite plant for my veiled girls is Pothos...inexpensive, safe for them to nibble and as it grows it adds vine roads and leafs to drink from and hide in.
Do keep us posted with her progress.
Thank you for all this info and a good plant to use! I will definitely keep you guys posted!

Thank you so very much for this help I will make sure I start getting everything I need for her! I started off turning off the light at night and was yelled at by the lady at pet smart because she “uses the heat to metabolize her food and needs it 24/7” I’m glad that there are educated people like you here to help because I’ve been misinformed time and time again! I’ll keep you posted on her recovery!
I learned everything I know from the people here. Remember to ask questions if you're unsure of anything. You gotta remember these are wild animals. In the wild they get complete darkness and a temp drop at night with an increase of humidity when the temp drops down to the dew point. It's actually extremely important to have this temp drop at night for the Jackson's chameleons. It's good for their immune systems from what I've read.

I learned everything I know from the people here. Remember to ask questions if you're unsure of anything. You gotta remember these are wild animals. In the wild they get complete darkness and a temp drop at night with an increase of humidity when the temp drops down to the dew point. It's actually extremely important to have this temp drop at night for the Jackson's chameleons. It's good for their immune systems from what I've read.
Thank you so much I’ll keep you guys updated and ask as many questions as I have.

I went out and got everything that you guys told me to this morning. And when I got home her skin is beginning to turn a yellowish green her ribs are starting to show more. She is walking blindly because she won’t open her eyes and isn’t taking in water anymore. I’m very very worried she isn’t going to make it. Anything I can do to help her recover?

I went out and got everything that you guys told me to this morning. And when I got home her skin is beginning to turn a yellowish green her ribs are starting to show more. She is walking blindly because she won’t open her eyes and isn’t taking in water anymore. I’m very very worried she isn’t going to make it. Anything I can do to help her recover?
Hi hun... I just saw your thread... Some may not like my feedback but I think you were dealt a bad hand with this baby. I think you were on the right track yesterday with your decision to take her back to the store. You were given all the wrong info and unfortunately found the forum too late. If she is at this point the chances of her recovering are slim... You said they told you she was 6 months old. There is no way. She is tiny... I am going to say 3 months. They are so fragile at this stage and decline very quickly. Her color change and keeping her eyes closed are not good. :( I would return her to the store. Let them seek vet care or do whatever they are going to do.

Then if you want to get another one get a male. Get it from a reputable breeder that will sell you one that is over 4 months old and healthy. Big box stores are known for selling chams that are not healthy. I would also get a Panther as they have better temperaments when they get older. I got my boy from Petco and consider myself very lucky that he came with no health issues. But I would not buy from another big box store knowing what I know now about them.

I am sorry this is how your first experience has turned out.

Hi hun... I just saw your thread... Some may not like my feedback but I think you were dealt a bad hand with this baby. I think you were on the right track yesterday with your decision to take her back to the store. You were given all the wrong info and unfortunately found the forum too late. If she is at this point the chances of her recovering are slim... You said they told you she was 6 months old. There is no way. She is tiny... I am going to say 3 months. They are so fragile at this stage and decline very quickly. Her color change and keeping her eyes closed are not good. :( I would return her to the store. Let them seek vet care or do whatever they are going to do.

Then if you want to get another one get a male. Get it from a reputable breeder that will sell you one that is over 4 months old and healthy. Big box stores are known for selling chams that are not healthy. I would also get a Panther as they have better temperaments when they get older. I got my boy from Petco and consider myself very lucky that he came with no health issues. But I would not buy from another big box store knowing what I know now about them.

I am sorry this is how your first experience has turned out.
Thank you so much for the feedback I’m sorry that I’ve failed her and you guys I’m going to try and get her through this, but I will never buy from a pet store again that’s 110% sure.

Thank you so much for the feedback I’m sorry that I’ve failed her and you guys I’m going to try and get her through this, but I will never buy from a pet store again that’s 110% sure.
Ok, first off you have not failed her. You did what you were told and had no way to know that you were given the wrong stuff or information. Is she on the ground? Did you buy the proper lighting?
@Kristen Wilkins @kinyonga @jannb any feedback to help save this baby given its current state?

Ok, first off you have not failed her. You did what you were told and had no way to know that you were given the wrong stuff or information. Is she on the ground? Did you buy the proper lighting?
@Kristen Wilkins @kinyonga @jannb any feedback to help save this baby given its current state?
she isn’t on the ground she’s been climbing in her cage but she can’t hold her balance and is blinding walking so she keeps falling. I couldn’t find the lightbulb requested in a store near me I would have to get it online which will take time.

she isn’t on the ground she’s been climbing in her cage but she can’t hold her balance and is blinding walking so she keeps falling. I couldn’t find the lightbulb requested in a store near me I would have to get it online which will take time.
Trust me when I say.... A sick cham is something that is extremely hard to try to help. A baby is 10 times worse. I still recommend returning her to the store. If you could not get the proper UVB lighting then you are running backwards. Even putting her in a hospital bin to keep her from falling wont be enough to save her. Without the right lighting and set up. She is not going to make it. She is already too far gone.

Trust me when I say.... A sick cham is something that is extremely hard to try to help. A baby is 10 times worse. I still recommend returning her to the store. If you could not get the proper UVB lighting then you are running backwards. Even putting her in a hospital bin to keep her from falling wont be enough to save her. Without the right lighting and set up. She is not going to make it. She is already too far gone.
Thank you for your help.

I am sorry if what I said seemed harsh... I just don't want you thinking that this is on you or that you can save her when the chances are so small. Good luck to you.
No it’s definitely understandable! Thank you for your help I’m hoping things can be better but I’m prepping for the worst right now she doesn’t seem to be holding herself up anymore or clinging onto anything I have her propped up on one of the leaves of her new real plant under the basking light. I just want her to be as comfortable as possible.

Ughhhhh so sad. The Petco right around the corner has 4 deathly ill looking babies right now. I can't even walk by their reptiles anymore.

Back
Top Bottom