Baby chameleon not eating well

Psychdoc

I bought a 2 month old Panther chameleon from a reputable pet shop in my area 2 weeks ago and am worried as he is not eating much. This is the second chameleon I've owned, and I've done my research. My first chameleon was purchased as an adult and ate very well but this one is not eating well at all. He is very shy at this point and I've seen him eating appropriately 3 times.... He will not eat out of my hand. He doesn't look like he's lost weight, but I've read that at this age the eat 10 crickets / day. I know he's not getting close to that. I adjusted his heat because I read that that can get too hot at this age (basking spite was 86). I also lifted up his uvb light as I had it resting on top of the cage and thought it was too close. I do a temp drop at night to 65 degrees. The humidity is kept by misting and also a reptile fogger.... It ranges from 40-70 percent. I mist 3-4 times a day. I have a zoo lab little dripper over a leaf for his water. I have mostly live plants since 5 days ago.

Hi, there and welcome! Could you post pics of your chameleon, his full cage, and his lights please? Also filling out this form with as much detail as possible will also really help! By the way, a reputable shop shouldn’t sell a panther chameleon unless it is 3 months or older at time of sale. I’ll post helpful links and images at the end. Have you had him tested for parasites or taken him to an experienced chameleon vet?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/
https://www.madcham.de/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 76
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 80
I've posted the old cage first and then the new one.

Attachments

• 20210118_162923.jpg
    20210118_162923.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 20210118_162934.jpg
    20210118_162934.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 108
As far as insect size. I'm doing 3/4 inch crickets which it's what the petshop said they were using. I tried wax worms but he hasn't eaten them since the 2 he ate 2 weeks ago. The stool looks normal... Or it did two days ago. He's been in the small cage since Sunday afternoon and actually looks more stressed but it's easier to see he's not eating. I thought he might be eating in the larger cage and that I just couldn't see. I will call a vet today just not too enthusiastic...2 AFT geckos died after I took them so when a 3rd got sick I force feed crickets and he fully recovered. Karla being a chameleon and very young has kept me from doing that. The humidity I the small cage is at 60% and ambient is 76 degrees. I have a 5.0 reptisun long hood style lamp on top of the cage and 100 wattBasking light in a dome lamp by exoterra.

As far as insect size. I'm doing 3/4 inch crickets which it's what the petshop said they were using. I tried wax worms but he hasn't eaten them since the 2 he ate 2 weeks ago. The stool looks normal... Or it did two days ago. He's been in the small cage since Sunday afternoon and actually looks more stressed but it's easier to see he's not eating. I thought he might be eating in the larger cage and that I just couldn't see. I will call a vet today just not too enthusiastic...2 AFT geckos died after I took them so when a 3rd got sick I force feed crickets and he fully recovered. Karla being a chameleon and very young has kept me from doing that. The humidity I the small cage is at 60% and ambient is 76 degrees. I have a 5.0 reptisun long hood style lamp on top of the cage and 100 wattBasking light in a dome lamp by exoterra.
3/4” is way too big for a 2 month old panther! Go to a different vet (one with tons of good and reputable chameleon experience)! Please fill out the whole form posted previously, along with pictures of your chameleon and your lights

How. The pet shop told me that's what they were using but based off of the head size rule, I see what you are saying. I am at work now but will post the lights later. I will but smaller crickets and see. I want to try Dubai roaches as well. I am at my wits end.

Attachments

• IMG_20210115_094334.jpg
    IMG_20210115_094334.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 90
How. The pet shop told me that's what they were using but based off of the head size rule, I see what you are saying. I am at work now but will post the lights later. I will but smaller crickets and see. I want to try Dubai roaches as well. I am at my wits end.
Just hang in there and make the correct changes, trust me, the end result is worth it!

Thanks a lot. I thought of force feeding because I successful with an AFT gecko that stopped eating for some reason. I'm worried that changing to the small cage may have added some stress too. I have only handled him once in two weeks when I moved him to the smaller cage.

Do you use the fogger during the day? Could you fill out the form, as well, please? It’ll be able to give us the info we need to be able to help you the most!

Please do not force feed your chameleon. Give them time and space to settle into their new enclosure. Chams are very shy eaters especially babies. I talk about various tips and tricks for getting your cham to eat in this video as well as a video on what to expect when you bring a baby chameleon home. I hope they give you some ideas and peace of mind. Once you fill out the questions, we can provide more detailed feedback.

I will fill the questionnaire out today and yes I use the fogger all day.
Please stop this asap... You can not use a fogger into a cage like this unless temps are below 67 degrees... This is a recipe for causing a RI to develop. You should only use this at night when temps are colder then 67. Cool moist air is beneficial not hot moist air. And the cage has to dry out during the day... Or you risk bacteria growth which causes more issues.

A panther only needs a daytime humidity level of 50-60% if your ambient is not that high you can use a cool mist humidifier in the room so it ups ambient levels but does not add intense moisture to the cage.

Please do not force feed your chameleon. Give them time and space to settle into their new enclosure. Chams are very shy eaters especially babies. I talk about various tips and tricks for getting your cham to eat in this video as well as a video on what to expect when you bring a baby chameleon home. I hope they give you some ideas and peace of mind. Once you fill out the questions, we can provide more detailed feedback.

Thank you. I did not force feed him. I talked to Brian at Chicago Reptile House and he helped out a lot.

Please stop this asap... You can not use a fogger into a cage like this unless temps are below 67 degrees... This is a recipe for causing a RI to develop. You should only use this at night when temps are colder then 67. Cool moist air is beneficial not hot moist air. And the cage has to dry out during the day... Or you risk bacteria growth which causes more issues.

A panther only needs a daytime humidity level of 50-60% if your ambient is not that high you can use a cool mist humidifier in the room so it ups ambient levels but does not add intense moisture to the cage.

Thank you. Please let me clarify.... Only use the fogger at night and let the cage dry during the day. I live in a suburb if Chicago.... The home humidity is typically in the high 20's.

Thank you. Please let me clarify.... Only use the fogger at night and let the cage dry during the day. I live in a suburb if Chicago.... The home humidity is typically in the high 20's.
Yes, the one that runs into the cage. Only at night when your ambient temps drop. Then since you have lower ambient humidity you can run a cool mist humidifier in the room that the cage is in to kick up the ambient level and this will not harm the cham.

Something to remember is that your going to need to be able to set your cage up so it holds the humidity better. Hybrid cage style may be a very good option for you. Providing a lot of live plants will help as well.

This is a great site for learning correct info. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Back
Top Bottom