Baby Chameleon hiding & not eating nor drinking

Sorry if I repeat things but there's a lot to read here...which is good in a way because there is lots of information...
I don't know if someone said to remove the moss substrate but I would. It can lead to impaction just like the stones that were in its cage at the store. If it's impacted that might be why it's not eating and it's a serious issue. It might also be not eating if the way you are presenting the crickets is not acceptable or if they are too large for it. They should fit comfortably into the chameleon's mouth.

You said you used fence boards to make the cage...treated ones, cedar, or what?

You said you made a feeder and it has a napkin in it. I hope it won't eat any of the napkin. Can you post a photo of the feeder please?
It should not be napping during the day at all.

What supplements are you dusting the crickets with and how often for each? What do you feed/gutload the insects with?

You said you didn't want to have to deal with eggs...but you will have to keep her properly to prevent it or slow it down at least. Veiled females can produce eggs once they are sexually mature without having mated. If not mated, they will of course be infertile and should be counted and then you can throw them away. It's important to provide a place in the cage so that once she's mature (gets yellowish splotches on her) so she can dig to show you she's ready to lay. The minimum size for this opaque container should be 12" deep x 12" x 8"... filled with moist washed playsand. Having a proper place to lay them will help prevent eggbi ding as will proper husbandry. You'll need to understand the egglaying process once she's gravid.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0759.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0759.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 114
Wait don't mist her while she's sleeping! That is a terrible idea. It'll make her cold/wake her up. Don't do that. When she's asleep let her be asleep.

Sorry if I repeat things but there's a lot to read here...which is good in a way because there is lots of information...
I don't know if someone said to remove the moss substrate but I would. It can lead to impaction just like the stones that were in its cage at the store. If it's impacted that might be why it's not eating and it's a serious issue. It might also be not eating if the way you are presenting the crickets is not acceptable or if they are too large for it. They should fit comfortably into the chameleon's mouth.

You said you used fence boards to make the cage...treated ones, cedar, or what?

You said you made a feeder and it has a napkin in it. I hope it won't eat any of the napkin. Can you post a photo of the feeder please?
It should not be napping during the day at all.

What supplements are you dusting the crickets with and how often for each? What do you feed/gutload the insects with?

You said you didn't want to have to deal with eggs...but you will have to keep her properly to prevent it or slow it down at least. Veiled females can produce eggs once they are sexually mature without having mated. If not mated, they will of course be infertile and should be counted and then you can throw them away. It's important to provide a place in the cage so that once she's mature (gets yellowish splotches on her) so she can dig to show you she's ready to lay. The minimum size for this opaque container should be 12" deep x 12" x 8"... filled with moist washed playsand. Having a proper place to lay them will help prevent eggbi ding as will proper husbandry. You'll need to understand the egglaying process once she's gravid.

The boards were treated but they have been left in a garage for a long time. They are very dry. I washed them off before working with them. I used board that are about 15 years old as well. They don't smell like chemicals nor have any chemical marking on the boards. They were sun dried after being bought about a year back. They have been through rain and dried by the sun several times. The feeder is made of a hard napkin. The napkin is tapped down good to the bottle. She actually ate from the feeder earlier today. So i know that is a healthy sign, shes hydrated and eating so that is key right? By the way, the chameleon never touches the boards. It always uses the metal mesh due to better grip. Its the perfect size for her small feet to grab onto. She does not sleep during the day as well, she is now adventuring. She slept the first day because she stayed up for a full day because she was afraid of her environment. But shes well adapted to her current habitat. She seems fine, she loves to be misted.

Her crickets are already dusted bought at the store. Pet smart pre dusts them and feeds the cricket some kind of clear jelly food.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0762.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0762.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Wait don't mist her while she's sleeping! That is a terrible idea. It'll make her cold/wake her up. Don't do that. When she's asleep let her be asleep.

I havent tonight i have only done it one time, wont do it again. I keep a weak infrared bulb because it can get as low as the 60s in my house at night and it can get pretty cold, she sleeps under the leaves so its never direct heat. Is this fine? I dont want her to be cold because the thermometer reads in the mid 60s to 60s

If it's a leg ...nothing.

there is 2 treated boards out of the whole thing. Other boards are 20 years old and have been in a garage with humidity and heat and freezing temperatures. They are just regular light wood and do not look treated its very smooth and has tree rings on it. This cage was a temporary build that is suppose to last me a while until i can find a quality cage that for sale for a lower price than 200-300$ due to all the money i will be investing in her in the future. I want to get her a big spacious cage with lots of climbing areas. Im just researching and looking around for the right one before buying something that i would regret. I have been searching for a cage for a month. But i had already thought why dont i build her a huge cage myself knowing that chameleons like lots of room. This cage is 2 foot by 2 foot base and 3 1/2 feet tall. (y) I think it serves its purpose :D

Back
Top Bottom