Baby Chameleon help!!

more updates!! Poop is back to normal with normal urates. He’s eating, but still grumpy as ever?. This upcoming pay I’m probably gonna get some real plants. I’ve seen the little bugger trying to eat the plastic so time to upgrade.
That is really good. Real plants are the way to go. If you bought the real reptile fake plants then they will hold up a bit longer until you can get the real plants. At this point I would be hesitant on pulling the fake plants without something to replace it with. Plus he is quite small. He has not started his real plant eating phase. I am betting he is trying to get moisture off the plants. Is baby eating well?

i have had a bit of a run-around with food, but my local store had flightless drosophila and they're perfect for a 2 month old Cham. next i fed them meal worms before i learned the were bad. i then fed her tiny pinhead crickets and now i feed her superworms cut in half. i have had a bit of an issue with trying to get it right and doing it wrong but she and i share a fragile(but tangible) bond and she's not so scared of being held and transported anymore. she spends a while every day on a secluded window with sunlight, blinds, and curtains. never a brown moment.

That is really good. Real plants are the way to go. If you bought the real reptile fake plants then they will hold up a bit longer until you can get the real plants. At this point I would be hesitant on pulling the fake plants without something to replace it with. Plus he is quite small. He has not started his real plant eating phase. I am betting he is trying to get moisture off the plants. Is baby eating well?

so the baby has been eating, but not an excess amount. I would say I put 15 crickets in the shooting gallery, and about half are gone by the time I go check, and then I leave them in until I’m off work(I work from home) and then generally like 1 or 2 more are eaten. Then I put them back away sense it’s about his bedtime. I got my dubias, my crickets and some other larva I said previously. I check his enclosure to see if any escaped, and none in the enclosure so I figured he has eaten them. He’s really moody and doesn’t like me tong fed or even me holding a cup to him. He turns black and hisses so I let him free range mostly

so the baby has been eating, but not an excess amount. I would say I put 15 crickets in the shooting gallery, and about half are gone by the time I go check, and then I leave them in until I’m off work(I work from home) and then generally like 1 or 2 more are eaten. Then I put them back away sense it’s about his bedtime. I got my dubias, my crickets and some other larva I said previously. I check his enclosure to see if any escaped, and none in the enclosure so I figured he has eaten them. He’s really moody and doesn’t like me tong fed or even me holding a cup to him. He turns black and hisses so I let him free range mostly
So don't tong feed at all... This can be dangerous if the cham hits the tongs rather then the feeder. Can cause permanent damage to the tongue. Don't try to cup feed yet he has to be used to you and eating from the feeder first.

Keep putting them in the feeder run. Trust me he will learn how to use it. You want to train him to eat this way.

The risk to free feeding is treating for any parasite issues that may happen. Because your putting food in and it is walking through areas where there was fecal matter. The parasites leave behind their oocysts these get on the feeder and in turn the cycle of reinfection happens again. So when your trying to medicate for parasites the last thing you want is reinfection.

So don't tong feed at all... This can be dangerous if the cham hits the tongs rather then the feeder. Can cause permanent damage to the tongue. Don't try to cup feed yet he has to be used to you and eating from the feeder first.

Keep putting them in the feeder run. Trust me he will learn how to use it. You want to train him to eat this way.

The risk to free feeding is treating for any parasite issues that may happen. Because your putting food in and it is walking through areas where there was fecal matter. The parasites leave behind their oocysts these get on the feeder and in turn the cycle of reinfection happens again. So when your trying to medicate for parasites the last thing you want is reinfection.

So what I mean by free range is only in his feeder. I don’t let crickets roam the cage unless they were to get out somehow, but generally if they do I catch them and put them back in the feeder. I never knew the tongs could be impactful! Thank you for the clarification. So I’ll just continue to feed with just the feeder.

Should I still treat for parasites if I got my feeders from a reputable seller? I only buy from Josh’s frogs.

Should I still treat for parasites if I got my feeders from a reputable seller? I only buy from Josh’s frogs.
You will never treat for parasites unless you have a fecal come back with a high parasite load or if it is something like coccidia that can be very deadly when the parasite load takes over. There are other parasites like pinworms. Low numbers do not cause issues. Some vets choose to medicate for it and some do not.

While medication is needed in a lot of situations some meds can be hard on their liver and kidney function. So having a knowledgeable reptile vet is really the way to go.

you do not know what the cham was exposed to prior to you. This is where a fecal can be important.

You will never treat for parasites unless you have a fecal come back with a high parasite load or if it is something like coccidia that can be very deadly when the parasite load takes over. There are other parasites like pinworms. Low numbers do not cause issues. Some vets choose to medicate for it and some do not.

While medication is needed in a lot of situations some meds can be hard on their liver and kidney function. So having a knowledgeable reptile vet is really the way to go.

you do not know what the cham was exposed to prior to you. This is where a fecal can be important.

I managed to find a reptile vet, and sense I bought him from a pet store, I’m waiting for openings so I can take him in just to be sure, but otherwise than that he only eats out of his feeder

I managed to find a reptile vet, and sense I bought him from a pet store. I’m waiting for openings so I can take him in just to be sure, but otherwise than that he only eats out of his feeder
So first just find out from the vet if you can drop off a fresh fecal without bringing him in. This way you avoid un needed stress. Most vets send fecals out to a lab anyway. Then if something comes back positive you take the cham in so they can examine and weight it. If it is too small they may choose to wait to medicate so this is when they actually have to see it. Not prior to knowing results. unless they do their fecals in house while your there...

Also his runny poop is gone now. It’s back to solid with white urates. Any idea to why he had two poops being runny for only one day?

So first just find out from the vet if you can drop off a fresh fecal without bringing him in. This way you avoid un needed stress. Most vets send fecals out to a lab anyway. Then if something comes back positive you take the cham in so they can examine and weight it. If it is too small they may choose to wait to medicate so this is when they actually have to see it. Not prior to knowing results. unless they do their fecals in house while your there...

absolutely, I’ll see what I can do. I just want to find out some stuff due to buying him from a big box pet store rather than someone reputable, and knowing how big chain pet stores work I feel that having a check-up would be a good idea

absolutely, I’ll see what I can do. I just want to find out some stuff due to buying him from a big box pet store rather than someone reputable, and knowing how big chain pet stores work I feel that having a check-up would be a good idea
Honestly from my personal experience and what I have seen on the forum it is not a situation where your guaranteed anything buying from a breeder over a big box store. Some breeders are very very reputable but there are just as many that arent. There are just as many that don't bother to get fecals done on their babies prior to sending them to their new homes. So my personal opinion is it should not matter where you get a new cham from you should get a fecal done to ensure there is not a parasite issue.

Honestly from my personal experience and what I have seen on the forum it is not a situation where your guaranteed anything buying from a breeder over a big box store. Some breeders are very very reputable but there are just as many that arent. There are just as many that don't bother to get fecals done on their babies prior to sending them to their new homes. So my personal opinion is it should not matter where you get a new cham from you should get a fecal done to ensure there is not a parasite issue.

that’s understandable.

Hello again!
Here are some better pictures of the little guy, I had to deep clean his cage. How’s he look?

Attachments

• 748F8894-E066-47BD-B07C-70E803979148.jpeg
    748F8894-E066-47BD-B07C-70E803979148.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 0DAFC286-ACED-48B7-87DC-4E20E8517F47.jpeg
    0DAFC286-ACED-48B7-87DC-4E20E8517F47.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 680EB477-8473-4E8D-A1D3-451412A24B24.jpeg
    680EB477-8473-4E8D-A1D3-451412A24B24.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 78
Hello again!
Here are some better pictures of the little guy, I had to deep clean his cage. How’s he look?
Baby is looking good. Until we get a better pic of the tarsal spur on the back foot I am not seeing much there so my verdict is not in for it being a boy yet. It is pretty smooth granted the angle of the image is not that great for checking for a tarsal spur.

Babies body from nose to vent is what about 3 inches?

Baby is looking good. Until we get a better pic of the tarsal spur on the back foot I am not seeing much there so my verdict is not in for it being a boy yet. It is pretty smooth granted the angle of the image is not that great for checking for a tarsal spur.

Babies body from nose to vent is what about 3 inches?

Give or take I’d say about 3 inches

Give or take I’d say about 3 inches
Yeah so about 3 months old roughly would be my guess. If you get a better image of the back of the back feet we can tell gender for you.

Something like this on a branch... This is a pic of my youngest at about 3 months. See how you can clearly see a spur... If he were a female that would not be there. It would be smooth and flat.

tarsal bentley.jpg

Yeah so about 3 months old roughly would be my guess. If you get a better image of the back of the back feet we can tell gender for you.

Something like this on a branch... This is a pic of my youngest at about 3 months. See how you can clearly see a spur... If he were a female that would not be there. It would be smooth and flat.

View attachment 284559

Awesome! I’ll see what I can do! So Ik my UVB is substantial enough rn, but would u reckoned I should upgrade to the T5 soon?

Awesome! I’ll see what I can do! So Ik my UVB is substantial enough rn, but would u reckoned I should upgrade to the T5 soon?
Technically you don't need to upgrade to the T5HO fixture since your running a T8 10.0 bulb at the correct distance. Now a T5 does put out more light so in that respect I prefer them. It really just depends on what you want to spend money on now lol.

Technically you don't need to upgrade to the T5HO fixture since your running a T8 10.0 bulb at the correct distance. Now a T5 does put out more light so in that respect I prefer them. It really just depends on what you want to spend money on now lol.
I have some questions is that a burn and is that a skin tag?

Attachments

• F4447FA7-4041-401C-A9F5-849F3301D8EB.png
    F4447FA7-4041-401C-A9F5-849F3301D8EB.png
    720.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 77B4B8B3-1AFB-424C-B532-4B66D08D3218.png
    77B4B8B3-1AFB-424C-B532-4B66D08D3218.png
    613.3 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom