Baby chameleon emergency

RolandKovacs

Hello guys,

Hope everyone is doing well.

I have an emergency, today my baby chameleon fall from a branch in one of the live plant pots also I have to mention he's shedding so not huge appetite which as far I know is normal. But since he fall, he's just all over the place lost his strength the back legs are not working almost at all and half of his body is green the rest is black, he's falling from everywhere. I m so worried for him anybody any advice?

Many thanks

Attachments

• 1B4265A3-BD18-4F60-8041-6B2747742A3C.jpeg
    1B4265A3-BD18-4F60-8041-6B2747742A3C.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 89
Hello guys,

Hope everyone is doing well.

I have an emergency, today my baby chameleon fall from a branch in one of the live plant pots also I have to mention he's shedding so not huge appetite which as far I know is normal. But since he fall, he's just all over the place lost his strength the back legs are not working almost at all and half of his body is green the rest is black, he's falling from everywhere. I m so worried for him anybody any advice?

Many thanks
can you get a few more pics?

I am concerned with its spine. You can see a change in normal shape right in the middle. If it broke its back then it is not a positive outcome that it can recover from.

can you get a few more pics?

I am concerned with its spine. You can see a change in normal shape right in the middle. If it broke its back then it is not a positive outcome that it can recover from.
Hello Beman!
Many thanks for your quick answer I will attach a few more pics. He's tail is moving as far I saw.

Attachments

• 76D46747-FBB8-4E91-A223-FAFA76EB76E8.jpeg
    76D46747-FBB8-4E91-A223-FAFA76EB76E8.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 9C007B34-19BE-48F8-972A-B33B98C19647.jpeg
    9C007B34-19BE-48F8-972A-B33B98C19647.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 4C2B70F9-0434-4CA5-A187-C3C77F55D3F0.jpeg
    4C2B70F9-0434-4CA5-A187-C3C77F55D3F0.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 8AFF0F54-8A7F-43E2-9336-B6051A343783.jpeg
    8AFF0F54-8A7F-43E2-9336-B6051A343783.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 82
I agree with @Beman ...I'd take it to a good chameleon vet.
But...Depending on what the vet says, I'd maybe give it a couple of days in a hospital cage to see what happens before deciding to euthanize it.

Is it male of female?nif it's female then you also have to worry about it digging holes to lay eggs.

I agree with @Beman ...id take it to a good chameleon vet.
But...Depending on what the vet says, I'd maybe give it a couple of days in a hospital cage to see what happens before deciding to euthanize it.

Is it male of female?
If the spine is broken? Would you not euthanize? I am simply imagining the pain of an injury like that and the severity.

How long ago was the fall?

Can you post a pic of the enclosure for us? Might be a way to convert it into more of a hospital set up depending on what you are using.

poor little one... It is very young.

So how is mobility with the back feet? You said it was still falling quite a bit?
So tiny and fragile I know I m devastated.
He can't really climb just fall's all the time. He is just basically dragging the back legs I try to watch him but the back legs just don't move properly 😭
Poor baby, I wish you all the luck
Many thanks really appreciate it
I agree with @Beman ...I'd take it to a good chameleon vet.

Is it male of female?nif it's female then you also have to worry about it digging holes to lay eggs.
tomorrow morning I will take him to vet's asap.
He is a boy. Thank you for
I asked about the tail being able to curl completely too because that could give an indication as to whether it would recover.
No I can't see he's tail curling up I will keep an eye on.

Guys many thanks for the answers really appreciate it.

How long ago was the fall?

Can you post a pic of the enclosure for us? Might be a way to convert it into more of a hospital set up depending on what you are using.
The fall was around afternoon 12 ish. I waa hopping if he has some rest he would be fine, but not really seems to be fine
Of course I will attach a picture. He is 2 weeks now in this large enclosure he loved it from the first day, was eating manly fruit flies and extra small cricket.
I also have a dripper for fresh water all he needs.

Attachments

• 04CA2864-29B2-4F51-A5A7-42405CAEE6C3.jpeg
    04CA2864-29B2-4F51-A5A7-42405CAEE6C3.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 86
The fall was around afternoon 12 ish. I waa hopping if he has some rest he would be fine, but not really seems to be fine
Of course I will attach a picture. He is 2 weeks now in this large enclosure he loved it from the first day, was eating manly fruit flies and extra small cricket.
I also have a dripper for fresh water all he needs.
You may be able to modify the cage... But it would mean flipping the cage on the side. What was he in prior to the cage upgrade? If not you want to put him into a hospital bin set up. Something like this. I had a very large tub... You would not need one this big. You could lay vines on the floor though because you do not want baby falling any more. If it is just swelling in the spine it should reduce but more falling would be bad for this.

Then you lay lighting across the top. I would not use a heat lamp though. Just UVB. If you are using a t5HO fixture and a 5.0 uvb bulb you would want 11-12 inches between the bottom of the light and where baby is on the bottom.

Attachments

• Bin.JPG
    Bin.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 74
  • bin1.JPG
    bin1.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 75
You may be able to modify the cage... But it would mean flipping the cage on the side. What was he in prior to the cage upgrade? If not you want to put him into a hospital bin set up. Something like this. I had a very large tub... You would not need one this big. You could lay vines on the floor though because you do not want baby falling any more. If it is just swelling in the spine it should reduce but more falling would be bad for this.

Then you lay lighting across the top. I would not use a heat lamp though. Just UVB. If you are using a t5HO fixture and a 5.0 uvb bulb you would want 11-12 inches between the bottom of the light and where baby is on the bottom.
Right, I will try my best.he was in a smaller enclosure, unfortunately I ve got rid off that.
So I will try to set up an enclosure as I have a huge storage box and some netting. I will set it up right now.
So sad because what happened 😭😭 I hope he is a strong boy and will be fine.

Beman many thanks for your time and help really appreciate it

Right, I will try my best.he was in a smaller enclosure, unfortunately I ve got rid off that.
So I will try to set up an enclosure as I have a huge storage box and some netting. I will set it up right now.
So sad because what happened 😭😭 I hope he is a strong boy and will be fine.

Beman many thanks for your time and help really appreciate it
Your welcome. You won't need too much for tonight just something he can not climb and hurt himself.

Let us know how it goes at the vet.

There are a few recommendations I would make for the cage you have set up but nothing that needs to be gone over right now.

Your welcome. You won't need too much for tonight just something he can not climb and hurt himself.

Let us know how it goes at the vet.

There are a few recommendations I would make for the cage you have set up but nothing that needs to be gone over right now.
I will definitely let you guys know. Thanks

Please I would really like to read about your recommendations for my set up cage as in thr future to be more vigilant. So please if you have time just send it over.
Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom