Baby chameleon becoming sluggish?

Elih11

My recently purchased, newly 4 month old female panther has started to become sluggish. She doesn't seem as active, she seems like she can't grab onto things as easy as before, and i found her on the floor of the cage yesterday morning. I had gotten her Wednesday 9/6/17. I'm honestly unsure as to why she could be having this problem, and am looking for any help i can get! Pics incoming soon.

• Your Chameleon - 4 month old (hd 5/15/17) Female Ambilobe Panther Chameleon. Cared for since 9/6/17
  • Handling - Rarely, only to move her to a new spot in the cage, had she been on the floor.
  • Feeding - 1/4th crickets, baby superworms and hornworms she wouldn't eat. Gutloaded with Josh's Frogs cricket food, along with carrots and collard greens chopped up.
  • Supplements - Repti-cal without D3, almost everyday. Herptivite vitamin supplement once every 2 weeks.
  • Watering - Hand misted with a pump sprayer from home depot. About 4-5 hours inbetween mists. Misted for about 3 mins or until the cage is dripping, I try to mist generally where they aren't so they aren't put off by it and i can get the entire cage wet. Also have a dripper set up that runs for about 1-2 hours. (Mistking on the way)
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Recently has been liking to keep one or both of her eyes closed during the day. Isn't as active as she used to be. Won't take to worms, unsure why.
  • Cage Info:
    • Cage Type - Large screen reptibreeze.
    • Lighting - The sun. They are outside nearly 24/7, unless storming.
    • Temperature - Basking spots at the top that arent very covered, with a heavily covered middle to bottom to provide places of shade to cool off.
    • Humidity - Unsure. There is some humidity in the air in florida. I maintain their humidity by misting, not only the top for drinking but the bottom and other parts of the cage she isn't, so its wet and will stay humid for longer.
    • Plants - One live plant, a hanging Golden Pothos.
    • Placement - Outisde on the back porch. Decently trafficked, but im usually the only one that ever actually goes directly up to the cage.
    • Location - Kissimmee, Florida
    • Current Problem - Becoming sluggish, not as active as before. Keeping one or both eyes closed in the day. Sleeping on floor (one night). Won't take to worms.

Attachments

• no4.jpg
    no4.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 143
  • no1.jpg
    no1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 143
  • no2.jpg
    no2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 107
  • no3.jpg
    no3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 106
  • no5.jpg
    no5.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 21640668_306388549835933_1916599038_o.jpg
    21640668_306388549835933_1916599038_o.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 132
Seeing that you just got her, it may or may not have to do with what you are or aren't doing. She may have been sick already and whatever is wrong may be starting to manifest itself. I live in south Florida and it is HOT right now. Do you ever see in her in heat distress with her mouth open?? You said she was on a patio...is it covered?. From the video it looks like there is no shade at the TOP. I would cover 1/4 of the cage with something to shade like a towel. I would take her poop and have a vet do a fecal to rule out parasites. Closing of the eyes can be caused by a Vitamin A deficiency or underlying illness that needs to be diagnosed like a parasite infestation. I would try and get a fecal done to rule that out . From what I understand you have only had her about a week? Maybe she was not supplied with the correct vitamins prior to your getting her. Having her in the sun is great and nothing can replicate natural UVB. Have you ever taken a temp gun and checked the temps in her cage? Have you tried bringing the cage indoors and see if she does better?

You said "they", you only have one Cham in the cage correct? If you have more than one cham in the cage, pretty good chance that is your problem.

Although the pictures paint a very big picture for very dehydrated cham, you didn't seem to mention the fecal stuff.

Would you mind telling us more about this + possible photos?

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Also *cough* Hi @laurie!

What temperature has the cage been kept at and what has the basking temperature been?
Your chameleon is very sick and needs help ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom