Baby cham will be here next week. Last minute questions

PlanetRemulak

Avid Member
I’m averaging one new thread daily, here. I promise the onslaught of questions will slow down when my cham gets here 😓

Texas Privet/Ligustrum Japonicum
I’ve had difficultly locating a large central plant for my new baby’s enclosure. I’m familiar with the safe plant list and all it’s staples (I intend to go pick up my 27th pothos tomorrow). During my first trip to Home Depot, I wound up taking a potted Texas privet/wax ligustrum home - I figured it would make a nice outdoor shrub for my chameleon to bask on, at least. it’s good sized, has a thick trunk and strong branches. It is also apparently toxic to dogs, cats and horses (but there seem to be some species of birds that enjoy eating its toxic berries). I only bring this up here because I’ve read about it being used in chameleon enclosures in the following links:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/cage-size-for-female-oustalets.133016/#post-1151287
(the wax leaf ligustrum/privet is mentioned as a plant used in an oustalet chameleon’s enclosure under the “shower method“ section)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/enclosure-3-4-done-and-ready-for-chams.181374/
(the two cages on the right contain wax leaf ligustrums/privet as the main plant)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/anyone-use-wax-leaf-privets.25907/
(aaaand here. In the very last post, a forum member mentions having used privet in their Spinosus enclosures. This is an old thread though)

I’ll be getting a panther chameleon, so I don’t expect him to chomp on leaves (though he may surprise me). I wonder about broken leaves irritating his skin, though. Wax leaf ligustrum/privet is listed on the ASPCA website as toxic (it contains terpenoid glycosides).

Safe to assume this is a bad idea? How about for use as an occasional outdoor tree? I’m really considering returning it for a schefflera amate (Home Depot here is, and apparently has been, fresh out of s. Arboricola).

Basking?
My new chameleon will officially be 3 months old on the 14th, and given that he’s still quite the baby I’d like to keep his basking temps low. Our thermostat currently reads 79 F (but the air just went off). I’m sure it will climb back up to 80-81F in no time flat. Being as my indoor temp is already at what is recommended for young chameleons, I worry about getting his cage too hot. Would it be okay for me to forego use of the basking bulb so long as indoor temps stay in this range? I’ll be monitoring his cage temperature and humidity with 3 digital thermometer/hygrometer combos with probes. I just don’t want to cook him :(

Cooling off the cage at night.
I can’t remember who mentioned this (my apologies! 😅), but I saw a forum member mentioning using gel ice packs across the top of their cage to achieve required night time drops for their Jackson’s. Really considering trying this myself. Would placing several ice packs across the top of the cage suffice, or would I need to invest in a humidifier to get this to work correctly? I haven’t purchased one for use with my chameleon, and am hesitant to do so as the temperature inside my house is still so warm at night (next week will be even warmer.. We’re looking at several days of 105-107F. 🥵 Nights are just as miserable).

I feel like I can’t say this enough (or maybe I’m saying it too much lately?), but thank you!!

I’m averaging one new thread daily, here. I promise the onslaught of questions will slow down when my cham gets here 😓

I’ve had difficultly locating a large central plant for my new baby’s enclosure. I’m familiar with the safe plant list and all it’s staples (I intend to go pick up my 27th pothos tomorrow). During my first trip to Home Depot, I wound up taking a potted Texas privet/wax ligustrum home - I figured it would make a nice outdoor shrub for my chameleon to bask on, at least. it’s good sized, has a thick trunk and strong branches. It is also apparently toxic to dogs, cats and horses (but there seem to be some species of birds that enjoy eating its toxic berries). I only bring this up here because I’ve read about it being used in chameleon enclosures in the following links:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/cage-size-for-female-oustalets.133016/#post-1151287
(the wax leaf ligustrum/privet is mentioned as a plant used in an oustalet chameleon’s enclosure under the “shower method“ section)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/enclosure-3-4-done-and-ready-for-chams.181374/
(the two cages on the right contain wax leaf ligustrums/privet as the main plant)
(aaaand here. In the very last post, a forum member mentions having used privet in their Spinosus enclosures. This is an old thread though)

I’ll be getting a panther chameleon, so I don’t expect him to chomp on leaves (though he may surprise me). I wonder about broken leaves irritating his skin, though. Wax leaf ligustrum/privet is listed on the ASPCA website as toxic (it contains terpenoid glycosides).

Safe to assume this is a bad idea? How about for use as an occasional outdoor tree? I’m really considering returning it for a schefflera amate (Home Depot here is, and apparently has been, fresh out of s. Arboricola).

Basking?
My new chameleon will officially be 3 months old on the 14th, and given that he’s still quite the baby I’d like to keep his basking temps low. Our thermostat currently reads 79 F (but the air just went off). I’m sure it will climb back up to 80-81F in no time flat. Being as my indoor temp is already at what is recommended for young chameleons, I worry about getting his cage too hot. Would it be okay for me to forego use of the basking bulb so long as indoor temps stay in this range? I’ll be monitoring his cage temperature and humidity with 3 digital thermometer/hygrometer combos with probes. I just don’t want to cook him :(

I can’t remember who mentioned this (my apologies! 😅), but I saw a forum member mentioning using gel ice packs across the top of their cage to achieve required night time drops for their Jackson’s. Really considering trying this myself. Would placing several ice packs across the top of the cage suffice, or would I need to invest in a humidifier to get this to work correctly? I haven’t purchased one for use with my chameleon, and am hesitant to do so as the temperature inside my house is still so warm at night (next week will be even warmer.. We’re looking at several days of 105-107F. 🥵 Nights are just as miserable).

I feel like I can’t say this enough (or maybe I’m saying it too much lately?), but thank you!!
@Beman @ERKleRose

Basking?

I’m pretty sure not positive so don’t take my word u will definitely need a basking light.

Basking?

Per the plant I am not sure. I have only ever used plants on the safe list here... https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Chameleon-Plants-061321.pdf

I know from my own experience it is hit and miss at home depot. One week they will have nothing and the next they will get in 4-5 foot tall plants. They just got in 5 of this size in the money trees. So I would just keep stalking them lol.

Basking... So how are you testing temps at basking? You will want to make sure this is lifted up off the cage about 4-5 inches due to the baby climbing the top. Is it 79-80 just on top or is this the entire cage? Do you have air conditioning? If temps exceed the 85 degrees then you want to turn off your heat fixture. The baby will still seek out heat they do not know when it is just too hot.

Cooling cage.... @joxie uses ice packs on top of her cages. But you do not want to use a humidifier at all unless you can get temps at night below 67 degrees. It has to be cold moist air. If your temps are above that it is an RI risk to run one. And you would want to play with misting schedule at night to help drop temps and provide humidity. Doing shorter 30 sec-1 minutes sessions at night.

Per the plant I am not sure. I have only ever used plants on the safe list here... https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Chameleon-Plants-061321.pdf

I know from my own experience it is hit and miss at home depot. One week they will have nothing and the next they will get in 4-5 foot tall plants. They just got in 5 of this size in the money trees. So I would just keep stalking them lol.

Basking... So how are you testing temps at basking? You will want to make sure this is lifted up off the cage about 4-5 inches due to the baby climbing the top. Is it 79-80 just on top or is this the entire cage? Do you have air conditioning? If temps exceed the 85 degrees then you want to turn off your heat fixture. The baby will still seek out heat they do not know when it is just too hot.

Cooling cage.... @joxie uses ice packs on top of her cages. But you do not want to use a humidifier at all unless you can get temps at night below 67 degrees. It has to be cold moist air. If your temps are above that it is an RI risk to run one. And you would want to play with misting schedule at night to help drop temps and provide humidity. Doing shorter 30 sec-1 minutes sessions at night.

I think it’s a moot point with the wax ligustrum - I’m finding out it has a tendency to trigger allergies/asthmatic symptoms. I’ll be returning it today for something else. You’re definitely right about Home Depot being hit or miss, but I‘m really liking the idea of stalking them. 😂 If I can’t find a suitable large plant, I’ll switch to hanging plants from either side of the cage with branches going in between instead. Here’s to hoping for better luck today!

I’m testing temps with a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe, but i intend to get a temp gun to spot check basking branches. Ambient temps are sitting at 78 throughout the cage at the moment.. I do have AC and will definitely be using it. Thinking I’ll still have the basking light come on in the mornings, but maybe for only an hour or so (at least as long as the weather is hot, which it will be for a while). I won’t let basking temps exceed 85 F - is anything between 80-85 dangerous for a 3 month old panther baby?

I’ve currently got my misting schedule set up like this:

7 am - 1.5 mins
12 pm - 1.5 mins
7 pm - 1.5 mins
12 am - 1.5 mins, schedule repeats

The one and a half minute misting duration was suggested by my breeder. I figured I’d start from here and make adjustments if it seems like more or less misting is needed. I’ll play around with ice packs, but definitely no cool mist humidifiers for the time being. We don’t be seeing below 67 F at night for a while.

thank you (AGAIN) for your help! Sorry to ask so many questions. I’m just afraid of screwing up!

Baby cham will be here next week. Last minute questions​

Sorry, you've used up your quota of questions for this month already. 😁

Safe to assume this is a bad idea?
IMO, yes. Raising a baby is hard enough without looking for more dice to roll.

Basking?
IMO, yes.

I can’t remember who mentioned this (my apologies! 😅), but I saw a forum member mentioning using gel ice packs across the top of their cage to achieve required night time drops for their Jackson’s. Really considering trying this myself.
Cooler water during nighttime mistings may help—I haven't tried it yet—adding a few ice cubes to your mister reservoir. The idea is NOT to use ice water, but water at the temperature you're trying to achieve.

I recently posted a vid about the best days to plant-shop at big box stores, but I can't find it. 😭

I think it’s a moot point with the wax ligustrum - I’m finding out it has a tendency to trigger allergies/asthmatic symptoms. I’ll be returning it today for something else. You’re definitely right about Home Depot being hit or miss, but I‘m really liking the idea of stalking them. 😂 If I can’t find a suitable large plant, I’ll switch to hanging plants from either side of the cage with branches going in between instead. Here’s to hoping for better luck today!

I’m testing temps with a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe, but i intend to get a temp gun to spot check basking branches. Ambient temps are sitting at 78 throughout the cage at the moment.. I do have AC and will definitely be using it. Thinking I’ll still have the basking light come on in the mornings, but maybe for only an hour or so (at least as long as the weather is hot, which it will be for a while). I won’t let basking temps exceed 85 F - is anything between 80-85 dangerous for a 3 month old panther baby?

7 am - 1.5 mins
12 pm - 1.5 mins
7 pm - 1.5 mins

The one and a half minute misting duration was suggested by my breeder. I figured I’d start from here and make adjustments if it seems like more or less misting is needed. I’ll play around with ice packs, but definitely no cool mist humidifiers for the time being. We don’t be seeing below 67 F at night for a while.

thank you (AGAIN) for your help! Sorry to ask so many questions. I’m just afraid of screwing up!
I think it’s a moot point with the wax ligustrum - I’m finding out it has a tendency to trigger allergies/asthmatic symptoms. I’ll be returning it today for something else. You’re definitely right about Home Depot being hit or miss, but I‘m really liking the idea of stalking them. 😂 If I can’t find a suitable large plant, I’ll switch to hanging plants from either side of the cage with branches going in between instead. Here’s to hoping for better luck today! Yeah also if there is the potential for allergies for you this is no bueno.

I’m testing temps with a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe, but i intend to get a temp gun to spot check basking branches. Ambient temps are sitting at 78 throughout the cage at the moment.. I do have AC and will definitely be using it. Thinking I’ll still have the basking light come on in the mornings, but maybe for only an hour or so (at least as long as the weather is hot, which it will be for a while). I won’t let basking temps exceed 85 F - is anything between 80-85 dangerous for a 3 month old panther baby? Ok probe is correct. Skip buying the temp gun they only measure surface temps. Have you looked into the govee guages for ambient humidity and temps in other parts of the cage? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So I only run my basking fixture for a few hours. typically an hour or so after the other lights kick on. This way I have fed him by the time it kicks in. Then I have mine kick off at 1. You can play around with this. You will find babies bask A LOT because they are eating a ton. Your range is 80-85max.... Where did you buy him from? There are a few breeders that run temps higher for babies. Kammerflage is one of them. So babies that are used to a bit warmer basking will have a harder time acclimating to a cooler basking temp.

7 am - 1.5 mins
12 pm - 1.5 mins Drop this one. Add a dripper during the day. Solo cup and a few tiny pin holes in the bottom. put ice cubes in the cup set directly on the screen top and it will drip for hours on to the plants below.
7 pm - 1.5 mins

The one and a half minute misting duration was suggested by my breeder. I figured I’d start from here and make adjustments if it seems like more or less misting is needed. I’ll play around with ice packs, but definitely no cool mist humidifiers for the time being. We don’t be seeing below 67 F at night for a while. What humidity levels are you getting right now? 1.5 minutes is not very long.

thank you (AGAIN) for your help! Sorry to ask so many questions. I’m just afraid of screwing up! Not a problem.

You said..."I’m averaging one new thread daily, here. I promise the onslaught of questions will slow down when my cham gets here"...ask all the questions you want! Even if some people like @Klyde O'Scope and @Mrjamwin say there a limit or a charge...I will answer all your questions for free to the best of my ability! The health/life of your chameleon is at stake and you can't put a price or limit on that! 😌

Interesting! I might have to try this out as I'm getting a baby panther in the next month and wanna do the naturalistic hydration cycle with the misting/humidifier in bursts overnight and a full dry out during the day, but if my night time temps are too high, like this summer, I'd worry about RI

You said..."I’m averaging one new thread daily, here. I promise the onslaught of questions will slow down when my cham gets here"...ask all the questions you want! Even if some people like @Klyde O'Scope and @Mrjamwin say there a limit or a charge...I will answer all your questions for free to the best of my ability! The health/life of your chameleon is at stake and you can't put a price or limit on that! 😌
That is *greatly* appreciated! Thank you so much!

I think it’s a moot point with the wax ligustrum - I’m finding out it has a tendency to trigger allergies/asthmatic symptoms. I’ll be returning it today for something else. You’re definitely right about Home Depot being hit or miss, but I‘m really liking the idea of stalking them. 😂 If I can’t find a suitable large plant, I’ll switch to hanging plants from either side of the cage with branches going in between instead. Here’s to hoping for better luck today! Yeah also if there is the potential for allergies for you this is no bueno.

I’m testing temps with a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe, but i intend to get a temp gun to spot check basking branches. Ambient temps are sitting at 78 throughout the cage at the moment.. I do have AC and will definitely be using it. Thinking I’ll still have the basking light come on in the mornings, but maybe for only an hour or so (at least as long as the weather is hot, which it will be for a while). I won’t let basking temps exceed 85 F - is anything between 80-85 dangerous for a 3 month old panther baby? Ok probe is correct. Skip buying the temp gun they only measure surface temps. Have you looked into the govee guages for ambient humidity and temps in other parts of the cage? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So I only run my basking fixture for a few hours. typically an hour or so after the other lights kick on. This way I have fed him by the time it kicks in. Then I have mine kick off at 1. You can play around with this. You will find babies bask A LOT because they are eating a ton. Your range is 80-85max.... Where did you buy him from? There are a few breeders that run temps higher for babies. Kammerflage is one of them. So babies that are used to a bit warmer basking will have a harder time acclimating to a cooler basking temp.

7 am - 1.5 mins
12 pm - 1.5 mins Drop this one. Add a dripper during the day. Solo cup and a few tiny pin holes in the bottom. put ice cubes in the cup set directly on the screen top and it will drip for hours on to the plants below.
7 pm - 1.5 mins

The one and a half minute misting duration was suggested by my breeder. I figured I’d start from here and make adjustments if it seems like more or less misting is needed. I’ll play around with ice packs, but definitely no cool mist humidifiers for the time being. We don’t be seeing below 67 F at night for a while. What humidity levels are you getting right now? 1.5 minutes is not very long.

thank you (AGAIN) for your help! Sorry to ask so many questions. I’m just afraid of screwing up! Not a problem.
I apologize for how long it took me to respond.

I have looked into GoVee temp gauges, and am considering getting one to use in conjunction with my thermometer/hygrometer probes. I’ve currently got a timer set to kick the basking lamp on at 8 AM, stays on for two hours and goes off at 10. UVB/grow light set to come on on at 7:30 AM and go off at 7:30, and the Sansi LED grow light is set to go off at 9 AM and go off at 6. Should I change this up?

I bought my cham from Framschams, but may not be getting this specific cham after all due to a setback with some unexpected medical issues. I’ve currently got doctors appointments scheduled throughout this month and into August. Don’t know how comfortable I feel with leaving such a young chameleon several times throughout the month (a unless a relative stops by during the day to feed him, but that’s a lot to ask). If not him, then I’ll be getting a different baby that won’t be ready until November or so from the same breeder.

I’ll definitely drop the 12 PM mist and plan to run a dripper during the day, but am thinking I’ll go ahead and change the misting duration from one and a half minutes to 2 full minutes. My cage still isn’t exactly set up, but ambient humidity in the room I’d be keeping my chameleon in ranges from 39% to 41%. I’d definitely need to cover my cage walls, just trying to figure out if I should do it with window film or coroplast (im also trying to protect my walls from overspray).

Again I so appreciate the advice!

Back
Top Bottom