Baby cham food?

#Chams4life

Avid Member
I was wondering if anyone on the forum has crickets, fruit flies, or anything suitable for baby panther chameleons. The crickets at our pet store carry worms and they infected the babies :(. We have had several other worm problems in the adults and want to get away from pet store crickets. Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows where to buy reputable feeders. I know nothing is guaranteed but I don't want this to happen again.

fluker
coastalsilkworms
greatlakeshornworm's
mulberryfarms
Ghann's
rainbowmealworms
armstrongcrickets
tophatcrickets

annddddd ooooonnn anddddd ooooonnn and ooooonnnn aka anything but petco and pestmart

Is Josh's Frogs a good place to get crickets? Also I have several adult crickets left and they have laid multiple eggs that are going to hatch soon, I was wondering if the pinheads will have worms when they hatch. Can the worms be passed from mother to baby cricket and can you deworm crickets? I'm not going to do that, just curious.

Is Josh's Frogs a good place to get crickets? Also I have several adult crickets left and they have laid multiple eggs that are going to hatch soon, I was wondering if the pinheads will have worms when they hatch. Can the worms be passed from mother to baby cricket and can you deworm crickets? I'm not going to do that, just curious.

No expericence with josh's. I also have no clue if these "worms" can be passed to the cham. Also what do these 'worms" look like, are you sure they are not free cleaner crews? Assume if the worms are in the cricket, and came out, they have already laid eggs in the soil to infect the next generation of crickets.

Honestly i have never seen infected crickets. Ive seen crickets with mites etc, but never "parasites".

Pin worms are pretty common. The cleaner you keep your crickets, your cage and other feeders the less you will have, I don't know that you can ever completely eliminate them. What you really don't want is having so many that they obstruct or overwhelm your chameleon. Feeders that eat infected poop can really increase the rate of infection.
Treat them but expect to occasionally find some in your fecal tests.

I do keep my cricket bin clean, I'm pretty sure they come infected because sometimes I use all of them before I get them into a bin. So should I dump the remaining crickets and eggs and start fresh?
Also I was feeding the babies small BSFL, crickets and fruit flies, are there any other good feeders to feed them? I wanted to try silkworm and hornworm eggs, but I haven't gotten the chance to order them. I also wanted to try baby praying mantises but it's illegal to even keep them as pets where I live so I can't feed them.
Thank you guys for the help it's much appreciated.

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't keep your crickets clean but just putting the info out there. They likely don't get good cleaning at the pet store. The pet store employees probably handle reptiles then reach into the cricket bin transferring parasite eggs. Putting crickets back after they've been in a cage is a sure way to infect the rest of the crickets.
If you are treating for parasites now you should do a thorough cleaning and replace any feeders that you suspect came from a poor source. So I would start fresh with all new crickets from a non pet store source.
For the very young babies pinheads, fruit flies, and bean beetles are all good feeders. I like silkworms as a feeder that I raise from eggs but it's a bit of work.

I didn't think you were :) Thank you I will buy some new feeders in a day or so after this snow storm passes. I've heard about bean beetles but I didn't know they were safe for babies, I will definitely try those to. I tried silkworm eggs before but they hatched when I was on vacation so they died, definitely want to try those again though. Still have to call the vet about getting medicine for them, hopefully the roads will be clear enough for me to pick some up tomorrow.

If they aren't over loaded it isn't an emergency but they will be better of without them. Stay safe on those snowy roads.

No expericence with josh's. I also have no clue if these "worms" can be passed to the cham. Also what do these 'worms" look like, are you sure they are not free cleaner crews? Assume if the worms are in the cricket, and came out, they have already laid eggs in the soil to infect the next generation of crickets.

Honestly i have never seen infected crickets. Ive seen crickets with mites etc, but never "parasites".

I use Josh’s a lot and haven’t had any problems with their crickets, hornworms, flies or any of their insects, except ff.
That was FedX that turned the box upside down, not Josh’s fault, but they replaced them and shipped them out the same day that i reported it.

Back
Top Bottom