Baby and adult cages

ChamDur

Hey guys,
I already know that this is kind of a dumb question. But, can a baby chameleon go straight into a 3 foot by 2 foot by 4 foot adult cage? I don't have a cham yet. I'm still working everything out and I just want to clarify things before (hopefully) I get a chameleon. Thanks!

The consensus is split on this. Some people say no depending on how young because the baby will have a hard time finding food.

Personally my Cham went strait into a 24x24x48 with no problems and I got him about 4 months old. I don't think finding food is a problem otherwise they wouldn't survive in the wild .you can also just cup feeding if your worried or block off half the cage till he/she gets bigger.

Mine was pretty small when we got him. I found cup feeding to be the easiest solution. You can usually get a stainless steel bird feeding cup for fairly cheap. Easy to install and crickets have a hard time getting out.

No dumb questions here, thank you for doing your homework before buying a Cham.

Straight to adult cage. Once they hatch in the wild they have to feed themselves. The Cham will likely hide for the first week or two and be hesitant to eat infromt of you, totally normal. I recommend getting a WiFi camera so you can monitor their food/water intake remotely. Worth every penny...
482B9D42-8146-4B24-83E9-335064EA78BB.png

The consensus is split on this. Some people say no depending on how young because the baby will have a hard time finding food.

Personally my Cham went strait into a 24x24x48 with no problems and I got him about 4 months old. I don't think finding food is a problem otherwise they wouldn't survive in the wild .you can also just cup feeding if your worried or block off half the cage till he/she gets bigger.
Thank you so much for the help Josh, I think I will start of cupfeeding. :)
Mine was pretty small when we got him. I found cup feeding to be the easiest solution. You can usually get a stainless steel bird feeding cup for fairly cheap. Easy to install and crickets have a hard time getting out.
Thanks so much jabba! I will look for those bird feeding cups. (y)
No dumb questions here, thank you for doing your homework before buying a Cham.

Straight to adult cage. Once they hatch in the wild they have to feed themselves. The Cham will likely hide for the first week or two and be hesitant to eat infromt of you, totally normal. I recommend getting a WiFi camera so you can monitor their food/water intake remotely. Worth every penny...View attachment 214586
Thanks so much Brody! I will get the Wi-Fi camera (y). Thanks for all the help Brody:D.
Thanks for all the help guys!:D:D

Yup, If you cup feed you can go for the reptibreeze xl from the get go. Another "feature" of the repibreeze xl is the bottom is a 2ft/2ft panel, and you can raise it 2ft to make a mini 2ft cube cage for a little while.

The downside is its a little hard to keep track of his eating. I had to move the feeding cup often. The medium reptibreeze cages are pretty cheap and they can be found on craigslist sometimes. What species and gender are you getting?

Wifi Webcams are pretty cool but at first they will make you panic wondering where your pet is. In case you never heard, chams are really good at hiding. :) Just a little cyber security... they can be hacked. Nothing like hearing someone singing "I always feel like somebody's watching me" over the camera at 2am. LOL.

The downside is its a little hard to keep track of his eating. I had to move the feeding cup often. The medium reptibreeze cages are pretty cheap and they can be found on craigslist sometimes. What species and gender are you getting?

Wifi Webcams are pretty cool but at first they will make you panic wondering where your pet is. In case you never heard, chams are really good at hiding. :) Just a little cyber security... they can be hacked. Nothing like hearing someone singing "I always feel like somebody's watching me" over the camera at 2am. LOL.
I think I'm going to get a male Jackson's Chameleon, I don't know why, Jackson's Chameleons have always been appealing to me, and I don't want the eggs from a female. I know that Chan's hide a lot, I still might try the cam though. Thanks for all of your help Nick! :)

Yup, If you cup feed you can go for the reptibreeze xl from the get go. Another "feature" of the repibreeze xl is the bottom is a 2ft/2ft panel, and you can raise it 2ft to make a mini 2ft cube cage for a little while.
Thats a cool feature! I'll look into it, thanks for all the help nightanole! :)

I think I'm going to get a male Jackson's Chameleon, I don't know why, Jackson's Chameleons have always been appealing to me, and I don't want the eggs from a female. I know that Chan's hide a lot, I still might try the cam though. Thanks for all of your help Nick! :)
But ....female Jacksonii don't lay eggs...o_O
Jackson's are great animals, I loved mine!

But ....female Jacksonii don't lay eggs...o_O
Jackson's are great animals, I loved mine!
Ohh. Female veiled can lay eggs by themselves so I just assumed that so can all chameleons. Well... I just learned never to assume anything with chameleons. Oops. Thanks for the help remkon

Ohh. Female veiled can lay eggs by themselves so I just assumed that so can all chameleons. Well... I just learned never to assume anything with chameleons. Oops. Thanks for the help remkon
Jacksons are livebearers. Jacksons are also a little more demanding. I love them and they are what I fell in love with 35 years ago but could never find them until the 90's. Check the care sheets but I believe they need a higher humidity and are harder to keep hydrated. Veildes and panthers are usually the beginner species. If you live in a fairly humid area, this might not be as much of an issue as if you live in a desert.

Jacksons are livebearers. Jacksons are also a little more demanding. I love them and they are what I fell in love with 35 years ago but could never find them until the 90's. Check the care sheets but I believe they need a higher humidity and are harder to keep hydrated. Veildes and panthers are usually the beginner species. If you live in a fairly humid area, this might not be as much of an issue as if you live in a desert.
Oh well then I might get a veiled or panther. I live in southern California.

I read somewhere that female veiled can produce young by themselves with out a presence if a male. Thats what I meant. Sorry for the weird wording. I get that some chameleons have eggs and some have just babies, but can all female chameleons give birth by themselves or is that just a veiled thing? I read that female veileds can give birth without a male on muchadoaboutchameleons. Is that site reliable? Thanks

I read somewhere that female veiled can produce young by themselves with out a presence if a male. Thats what I meant. Sorry for the weird wording. I get that some chameleons have eggs and some have just babies, but can all female chameleons give birth by themselves or is that just a veiled thing? I read that female veileds can give birth without a male on muchadoaboutchameleons. Is that site reliable? Thanks

Pretty sure someone was watching too many Jurassic park movies when they wrote that....

I remember back in the day reading that they "think" female iguanas/water dragons can store sperm from the male for up to a year and self impregnate....

Pretty sure someone was watching too many Jurassic park movies when they wrote that....

I remember back in the day reading that they "think" female iguanas/water dragons can store sperm from the male for up to a year and self impregnate....
Lol, okay

They can retain sperm for longer periods so they can produce a fertile clutch after quite a while of not having been with a male...
They will also produce unfertile eggs regardless, so you will always have to deal with eggs with female veilds.

Just make sure you know how to sex em before you buy em. ;)

Back
Top Bottom