Babies died!

OrangeJuice

Established Member
Hello guys! I am a new veiled chameleon owner. I bought a female from Petsmart( I know, bad idea. They were extremely convincing on their false care guides!) and her name was Orange Juice. Absoloutly loved her and ended up going to a reptile specialty store to buy her a boyfriend. Little Orange died shortly later (I housed them in the same enclosure, but Orange was about the same size as Yoyo. Neither of them turned dark colors and they just hid and stayed in the basking spot) I was devistated! Anyways, luckily I went to the place where I got Her boyfriend, Yoyo and they explained all the proper care before Yoyo was effected too. The petsmart guide stated coconut substrate or dirt, tall GLASS enclosure, and to just mist them. Orange died from eating the coconut substrate. Now, later on I got two new baby female veileds. They ate and pooped regularly and living in a breathing cage. But when I came home today, they were dead too! Yoyo lives at the same temperature with the same lighting and everything and he was fine. Any ideas what's with the babies dying?

Did you keep the two new ones in a separate cage from the male? How old were they? Was the cage they were in cleaned properly before they were put in it? Did you wash any live plants before using them? How long did you have them before they died.

Wondering if the male has/had something?? Did you quarantine the two new females?

Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum.

Did you keep the two new ones in a separate cage from the male? How old were they? Was the cage they were in cleaned properly before they were put in it? Did you wash any live plants before using them? How long did you have them before they died.

Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum.
Two new babies where housed together, but the male was kept separately in his big enclosure. They couldn't see each other they lived in different rooms. They were about 2-3 months old, and I used a watered down bleach to clean the cage, then rinsed the cage with water for the next two days.(not city water just filtered well water). I only had fake plants I washed the same way and fed them pinhead crickets. I had them about 1 week

Fill this out. This will help others help you. I'm sorry to hear about the 2 babies:(

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Well.... this thread is disappointing.

So you purchased a chameleon and obviously did no research prior to doing so. You then proceeded to purchase another of the opposite sex to give her a "Boyfriend".

After O.J. died after poor care you thought it was a great idea to get 2 new babies...Awesome! Yep they never stood a chance.

Now you are asking what’s with the babies kicking the bucket?!

I initially thought this would be just a troll post but noticed that you joined here a month ago. Trolls don’t hang around that long.

You lacking everything it takes to keep Chameleons.

I’ve been away from this forum for a while but coming back to see stuff like this drives me crazy.

Not going to Sugar Coat. When you can buy Chameleons for dirt cheap this is what happens. They become throw away trial and error pets.

@Norcal55 - you should have sugar coated because you offered no help at all while demeaning and attacking a member asking for help. Do you really think that is going to fix anything other than make you feel superior? There are obviously problems that need to be corrected so kudos to our new member for asking what those problems may be and trying to learn. It is a shame that several animals have died but chasing someone away by being hostile is only contribute to more deaths, not fix the situation. Sugar coat next time and offer even a little useful advice while you're at it.

I didn't read any prior posts, I just saw the OP post a few things about putting the cham on marijuana plants and then this.

Until proven otherwise, members should be treated like they are not trolls unless there is something undeniably obvious. Failure to do so is not in line with the forum rules. Marijuana is in fact legal in some states now so just because it was mentioned does not mean someone is a troll.

I guess I was confused by the illegal plant(in most people's cases) posted with a chameleon on it. Guess there's no rules against that though.

In Colorado (and probably other states too) it is legal for someone to grow marijuana in their home up to a certain amount then they need a license but can still do it. So that really doesn't mean much anymore.

unfortunately these types of stores (petsmart, petco etc) should not be allowed to sell these precious creatures. We bought a Jackson a few years ago and they gave us false information as well. Fortunately....we took him to a reptile vet afterwards and he pointed us in the right direction. We then went back to Petco and returned everything they sold us, (they sold us a GLASS TERRARIUM for crying out loud) Except we didn't return our Chameleon. Long story short, I suggest you go somewhere more professional. Look for someone who loves Chameleons, not someone looking for a quick sale. Maybe a few pictures could helps us out. Give us an idea of your set up. Good Luck!

unfortunately these types of stores (petsmart, petco etc) should not be allowed to sell these precious creatures. We bought a Jackson a few years ago and they gave us false information as well. Fortunately....we took him to a reptile vet afterwards and he pointed us in the right direction. We then went back to Petco and returned everything they sold us, (they sold us a GLASS TERRARIUM for crying out loud) Except we didn't return our Chameleon. Long story short, I suggest you go somewhere more professional. Look for someone who loves Chameleons, not someone looking for a quick sale. Maybe a few pictures could helps us out. Give us an idea of your set up. Good Luck!

Looks like you may need to do a little reading as well. There is nothing wrong with a glass terrarium.

This is a good read (for starts)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/for-everyone-who-knows-you-cant-keep-chams-in-glass.31937/

The key is to know what works in your environment or know of ways to get around it. There is nothing wrong with a proper glass terrarium.

Doesn't mean much lol tell that to the people I know in jail over it. I'm not arguing over whether it's right or not, just saying when I see a chameleon on a plant that is illegal in the majority of the state's, I assume troll. I apologize for that. I have seen people criticized on here worse for less, don't know why this is such a big deal.

If you are keeping juveniles at the same temperature range as adults that could be the source of the problem as well as what was mentioned above. If the heat in your house crept up today with the warmer weather that could have overwhelmed them especially if they didn't have enough water.
Temperature:
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85F (29C)

Back
Top Bottom