Axolotl breeders?

Did you just flip on your own position (recommending axols be kept solitary)? :confused: :unsure:

In our arrogance, we think (anthropomorphosize) other animals need companionship/social interaction when they may not.

lol
Glad you are so concerned. (fictional or not?) you decide

opens the door for understanding and background

I did not flip my position- I supported someone else. Huge difference.
I did not think telling Thatcher of my (factual) experience- to boring (since it was years) but a great learning tool. Copy and paste means nothing to me, but it is a starting point (starting only) some members enjoy the tool (good).

Your comment about arrogance is 100% right. The end of your statement ends with "they may not."
So, we do not know. I agree too. (y) -- If I do not know something- I do not even comment or will add " I do not know". :)(y) Usually the earlier portion of my comment.

Question from OP "Could they still live in the tank? Is it just preference?" My answer would be they could live the the tank but not with an axolotl- FOOD source.

Reason:
15 years ago, different forum for axolotls- someone asked about a large angle fish--- Comment was it should be fine, since it is too big for the axolotl to eat.

Yep! 2 weeks later there was a picture of a dead axolotl with a dead angle-fish in his mouth. Fact!

So, I let others decide, since an axolotl from Mexico would never cross paths in the wild with an angle-fish from the Amazon (agreeing with the we think "more is better".

We all do our individual best with the information we retain.

The OP is so excited- maybe I am reading into it, but it did bring back old memories and feelings. (good and bad- from
actual experiences).

1. The laws have changed in his state, and he has permission to get this creature.
Why would I want to ruin that?

I say--- Go for it and learn so the cycle can be repeated in another 15 years from your personal experience.

Just trying to be positive-
Some small fish cost hundreds of dollars but are fascinating. I would hate for Thatcher to think since minnows make good tank mates (which they don't in my opinion) Spend the $$$$ only to wonder where it went since he read "they make good tank mates".

Peace and have a great day.. I know I will. (y) Frogs, Toads, Turtles, Chameleons and new undisclosed pet need my attention. Love it!!!!

Last edited:
lol
Glad you are so concerned. (fictional or not?) you decide

opens the door for understanding and background

I did not flip my position- I supported someone else. Huge difference.
I did not think telling Thatcher of my (factual) experience- to boring (since it was years) but a great learning tool. Copy and paste means nothing to me, but it is a starting point (starting only) some members enjoy the tool (good).

Your comment about arrogance is 100% right. The end of your statement ends with "they may not."
So, we do not know. I agree too. (y) -- If I do not know something- I do not even comment or will add " I do not know". :)(y) Usually the earlier portion of my comment.

Question from OP "Could they still live in the tank? Is it just preference?" My answer would be they could live the the tank but not with an axolotl- FOOD source.

Reason:
15 years ago, different forum for axolotls- someone asked about a large angle fish--- Comment was it should be fine, since it is too big for the axolotl to eat.

Yep! 2 weeks later there was a picture of a dead axolotl with a dead angle-fish in his mouth. Fact!

So, I let others decide, since an axolotl from Mexico would never cross paths in the wild with an angle-fish from the Amazon (agreeing with the we think "more is better".

We all do our individual best with the information we retain.

The OP is so excited- maybe I am reading into it, but it did bring back old memories and feelings. (good and bad- from
actual experiences).

1. The laws have changed in his state, and he has permission to get this creature.
Why would I want to ruin that?

I say--- Go for it and learn so the cycle can be repeated in another 15 years from your personal experience.

Just trying to be positive-
Some small fish cost hundreds of dollars but are fascinating. I would hate for Thatcher to think since minnows make good tank mates (which they don't in my opinion) Spend the $$$$ only to wonder where it went since he read "they make good tank mates".

Peace and have a great day.. I know I will. (y) Frogs, Toads, Turtles, Chameleons and new undisclosed pet need my attention. Love it!!!!

White cloud mountain Minnows match the temperature that axylotl should be kept at.
Axylotl will try to eat them yes and if they do they lack spines or barbs that would harm axys should they try too snack on them

Even the word snacking on a "tank mate" does not make total since. But thanks- I guess.
Not here to debate the issue- Can you share your picture of White cloud/mountain minnow with your Axy? That would help.
Thanks!

Even the word snacking on a "tank mate" does not make total since. But thanks- I guess.
Not here to debate the issue- Can you share your picture of White cloud/mountain minnow with your Axy? That would help.
Thanks!

PXL_20220114_183150936.jpg
I Keep my axy's with arguably the best tank mates for axys, axys😃 reason i said snacking is aylotl will try to eat anything that moves, some fish have defensive physiological adaptations that could harm your axylotl🤷 im sure you've already said about an unfortunate angelfish adventure

Beautiful!

I was just trying to make a point in a roundabout way. There are things that are shared during a search that are not totally factual.

I would hate for Thatcher filling is tank with possible tank mates, only to discover a week or less later they skipped town. (y) But he will have background knowledge and can go from there. FYI stuff to get the ball rolling.

I am sure you feed your just enough to keep it healthy and happy (any more your tank would not look so clean and less your Axolotl would be skinny-- noticed around head, tail and legs. or gills shrinking That is why they are always smiling. ha ha.. Great job!

I did not want to share this but will for factual experience.

My adults, 4 of them along with a true mudpuppy (hard to find these days) and a water dog (tiger salamander larva--used by fishing bate shops), would SUCK out 2" mystery snails (They would suck- suck until it killed the snail then a dead snail comes right out). That being said, they were well fed, but the downfall was, they developed fungus issues which took 4 months to eliminate.

Just looked it up-- here is what i found (whish the info was available years ago) ha ha

Them- not me "That’s why it’s better to choose snails that have rounder or softer shells, in case the axolotl will consume them. In fact, it’s almost inevitable that they will consume them, especially if it’s smaller snails that you keep.

In any case, larger snails should be avoided, as axolotls will possibly consume them, and that can lead to impaction, and the connected health problems."

So-- his choice. (y)

I would have read before (years ago): "choose snail that have rounder or softer shells"

Now my message would be this: "In fact, it's almost inevitable that they will consume them".

Mine just left snail shells so did not deal with digestion issues.

Just my opinion and nothing more. Snails are still cool.. I did a whole lesson in Kindergarten and everyone wanted a pet garden snail, even after getting slimed. ha ha

I better stay off this thread or I will have an Axolotl again. :LOL: I already have sources which is not good. (y) :)

Beautiful!

I was just trying to make a point in a roundabout way. There are things that are shared during a search that are not totally factual.

I would hate for Thatcher filling is tank with possible tank mates, only to discover a week or less later they skipped town. (y) But he will have background knowledge and can go from there. FYI stuff to get the ball rolling.

I am sure you feed your just enough to keep it healthy and happy (any more your tank would not look so clean and less your Axolotl would be skinny-- noticed around head, tail and legs. or gills shrinking That is why they are always smiling. ha ha.. Great job!

I did not want to share this but will for factual experience.

My adults, 4 of them along with a true mudpuppy (hard to find these days) and a water dog (tiger salamander larva--used by fishing bate shops), would SUCK out 2" mystery snails (They would suck- suck until it killed the snail then a dead snail comes right out). That being said, they were well fed, but the downfall was, they developed fungus issues which took 4 months to eliminate.

Just looked it up-- here is what i found (whish the info was available years ago) ha ha

Them- not me "That’s why it’s better to choose snails that have rounder or softer shells, in case the axolotl will consume them. In fact, it’s almost inevitable that they will consume them, especially if it’s smaller snails that you keep.

In any case, larger snails should be avoided, as axolotls will possibly consume them, and that can lead to impaction, and the connected health problems."

So-- his choice. (y)

I would have read before (years ago): "choose snail that have rounder or softer shells"

Now my message would be this: "In fact, it's almost inevitable that they will consume them".

Mine just left snail shells so did not deal with digestion issues.

Just my opinion and nothing more. Snails ar
Live daphnia, copa pods, aqua dragons & blood worms atm

Also for record they must be kept together as similar size as they can be cabalistic.
PXL_20220114_191553929.PORTRAIT.jpg

Pickle-cham--- I actually thought there was a big one under the branch. Now I see the cute little fella.. month or 2 old? Great choice. If you want him/her to grow faster you can ask via conversation msg. I tend to hijack threads so working on not.. (y)
I like the "aqua dragons" aka sea-ponies aka brine shrimp (and a few other marketing names over the years). Had to hatch 1,000's daily for seahorse babies.

If you don't raise your own- very easy and cost effective. Purchase eggs (brine shrimp), salt (saltwater type) and hydrometer to get proper salinity level. Fun fun fun

So-unless the aqua dragons have been rinsed off or are a freshwater species like a fairy shrimp, be careful, salt is a no no for axolotls and "snail tank mates". (y) Not sure your experience with the salt stuff so had to put that in there. Salt does not evaporate with the water so if you're adding the food (aqua dragon from store) with a little salt, as the water evaporates, the salinity gets higher. Sorry-- I know I over explain but don't assume anyone's knowledge, which gets me into big trouble sometimes. Talking to a breeder like they never had any experience. They snap back very quick too. (y)

Keep up the good work!

Thatcher--- Thanks for the link. :) (y)

How are you doing your nitrogen cycle? Fishless or fish in (axylotl in this case).
Good choice in filter easy to maintain and doesn't create too much current 👍
I have 3 minnows (white cloud mountain) and an apple snail and my brother is pretty much doing all the aquarium work because he has 4 aquariums and he's an expert

Sorry if it's been mentioned before but I used to see axols readily available at local pet stores but that was way back before Petsmart/Petco swallowed them all up. I did try (unsuccessfully) keeping them in a community fish tank but the fish keep nipping at the Axol's gills. It was my experience that the fish, not the axols were the bad tenents. So if I were to do it again, I would set up a species only tank for the axols.

Perfect! Ask your brother about the 3 musts. Chemical, Biological, and Mechanical. Your tank will need all 3. Just putting it out there since different aquariums need more or less of these.
Chemical would be for what I see would be your water changes, with a syphon hose with de-chlorinator or other water conditioner (just over doing info, since it will be helpful for understanding). (y)

Your sponge filter will work as part bio as long as it is cleaned out every week or so (I don't want to bore ya with how it works, since I think you already know, but feel free to ask if you want).

Sorry but have to include that the small substrate is not good for their digestive track. Unfortunately, I know more about freshwater, saltwater and brackish water tanks than I do chameleons (doing since the mid 1970's). I
have had all kinds of amphibians, fish, to include seahorses, angler fish, (cephalopods) octopus, and even my 2nd favorite cuttlefish.
Please don't get me wrong, I am just a thorough, thinking of set-ups and only want the best.
As Pickle_cham touch on the nitrogen cycle there are 2 phases, which can take up to 3 weeks each (plus or minus). Once again you probably already know this. Without all these things being complete your fish will die and your axolotl will morph into salamander from not being able to breath.
There are ammonia and nitrite test kits and even a multi test kit available until everything is working well.

Terms you may already know:
New tank syndrome and crash--- I would check these terms out.. Very simple but happens all the time.

The biological and mechanical filtration all works to give you the clearest -cleanest water quality BUT- Water changes complete the process.

Hope this is not too much info.. (y) :)
I will let you ask questions from now on and let others help. I get tired of reading my own stuff.. :LOL: lol

Attachments

• 1642546262321.png
    1642546262321.png
    264.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom