Axolotl breeders?

20 gal should be fine for 1 and a few fish. they love eating fish. If you get more than one, you will need your upgrade sizes.

You will have to research if there are different sub-species (not sure) because some seem to get much bigger than others. I housed 3 in a 29 gal and the tank was too small as they like to crawl and swim. They do become very hand friendly and love the Axolotl pellets that can be purchased online.
Can't wait to see what morph or wild type you get. I did the glow type so had a black light over the top.. :cool: (y) (y)

As I was typing your pic and pellet post appeared. Perfect!

Something kind of fun-- search for axolotl eggs and get them that way. They grow pretty fast and way cheaper. Trick with them is they like bloodworms as babies so will need tweezers to break worms up into 2mm size or use other small food items.

Last edited:
Screenshot 2022-01-09 210645.png

Why must I live in California 😭😭
There is always Education or Rescue to open the doors. (y)
become an educator or a rescue legally through your city and state. Then you can care for so much more.. Just an idea -
Ca is looking for accountability, money and responsibility. IF you apply and can prove your intentions--- life opens the door to all kinds of things.

Mollies wouldn't be best tank mates as the prefer more warm water. Guppies are better but still not ideal as again its temperature requirements are different.
White cloud Mountain minnows match temperature better.

Scratching my head with the tank mate issue.

Axols eat anything they can get close to. One reason some will loose and regrow limbs (it happens more often with juvies than with adults), so not 100% sure (just personal experience) why people would suggest a tank mate. For the fish they suggest- they are fast enough to get a bite off the axols gills and pick on their skin.

Water temp is important for healthy axolotls because they are very susceptible to fungal issues. Which is usually introduced by other fish and quarantining is greatly advised for anything going into your tank.

JMHO--- If you have not searched: Check out Fungal infection with axolotls. Learn what it is, how it is caused and how to prevent and even fix (you will be WAY a head of the game) (y) . It is always easier to know what it looks like so it can (if it happens) be treated.

Just as chameleons should be housed individually, axolotls would be fine too but most people don't. Axolotls hunt at night too so even the suggested tank mates are in danger.

We can't wait to see your new pets.. :D (y)

Axols eat anything they can get close to. The reason some loose and regrow limbs, so not 100% sure (just personal experience) why people would suggest a tank mate. For the fish they suggest- they are fast enough to get a bite off their gills and pick on their skin.
Water temp is important for healthy axolotls because they are very susceptible to fungal issues. Which is usually introduced by other fish and quarantining is greatly advised for anything going into your tank.

JMHO--- If you have not searched: Check out Fungal infection with axolotls. Learn what it is, how it is caused and how to fix or prevent.

Just as chameleons should be housed individually, axolotls would be fine too but most people don't. Axolotls hunt at night too so even the suggested tank mates are in danger.

Sorry about getting on my soap box but learned with info from others and the internet there was a different reality. I use to feed mine pellets as you have posted but many times I would get 3 doz small to med goldfish just to watch them chow down (reality). The gold fish gave them a fungal problem, but there are many meds for fungal issues. So, I forced myself to get over the need for their ferocious eating behavior. Learning is have of the joy and even dealing with problems is a big part of the learning process.

Great! Snails are so cool. Is it apple or mystery? Apples get much bigger and like cool water. Can you share a pic?
Did you just flip on your own position (recommending axols be kept solitary)? :confused: :unsure:

not 100% sure (just personal experience) why people would suggest a tank mate.
I expect the same reason(s) people try to cohabitate chameleons and other animals best kept solitary—whether with same or different species/sex.

We humans are social animals. We consider solitary confinement punishment, torture, unnatural...
In our arrogance, we think (anthropomorphosize) other animals need companionship/social interaction when they may not. I think some of this expectation may come from the more common (and social) pets we keep; cats, dogs, rodents... are all social, and cohabitate (relatively) well.

Other factors may be our "more is better" outlook, desire/ambition for bigger/better/best, individuality/contrarianism (bucking the system)... Maybe even some naïveté. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom