awaiting the arrival of our new tenant.

parisaurusrex

Hello!
This is my second go around with chameleons, the first time was a little guy I stupidly got from Petco. I knew better at the time, but I was for sure I could bring him back to health! :eek: Long story short - he died a week after I brought him home.

That was six months ago, and I've finally decided my open wound was healed, and it was time to move on! (I only had him for a week, but I loved him so dearly for that week!) I did more research, and upped my game plan. I'm picking up my newest reptilian child friday night from LegendaryChameleons !

Here is my set up- please give me opinions;

18x18x36 reptibreeze
8 "perches" going across the width
two large vines
UVB lamp
Basking lamp, perch below is 7.5 inches from the lamp itself
two hanging pothos; I am growing these from sprouts off my mothers pothos, so they are a bit puny as of now! Which explains the ridiculous fake plants! There are two small ones on the left side of the enclosure, and a large one on the right back corner. I only put these in there to give him somewhere to hide until his pothos plants grow more!

I've left the lights on for about an hour now, just to get a feel for temps, and I seem to be having a difficult time with my basking area. Its at 75- and I'm using a 40 watt bulb, should I up to 60? If there is another or better way, please inform me!
I also have a mister, and a "reptifogger" for humidity!

3E4A4964 by p.rexphotography, on Flickr

The basking bulb I ave his called 100 watt but states it uses 72 watts. I am in the same region as you (Renton, WA). This gives me temps about 7" from the light of approx 83-86. I have a 75 watt that uses somewhat less power I don't recall the exact for my younger guy for basking temps of approx 79-82, same distance from bulb. The are just GE house type light bulbs. Reveal bulbs I think, whatever Target sells…

Welcome back to the world of Chameleons!! There are a number of keepers in Puget sound and there is a Puget Sound Reptile group on FB too. I was on it for a bit, but I never saw any cham keepers

Looks pretty good, a schefflera or ficus could add some foliage too. What kind of chameleon are you getting?

I think it needs more foliage. I would add a schefflera on the bottom. That would fill it up! Welcome by the way and good luck

Looks pretty good, a schefflera or ficus could add some foliage too. What kind of chameleon are you getting?

Veiled! And thank you! I've got a ficus, its too big for this particular enclosure - definitely planning on using that for him when I need to clean his home/when he needs a shower.

The basking bulb I ave his called 100 watt but states it uses 72 watts. I am in the same region as you (Renton, WA). This gives me temps about 7" from the light of approx 83-86. I have a 75 watt that uses somewhat less power I don't recall the exact for my younger guy for basking temps of approx 79-82, same distance from bulb. The are just GE house type light bulbs. Reveal bulbs I think, whatever Target sells…

Welcome back to the world of Chameleons!! There are a number of keepers in Puget sound and there is a Puget Sound Reptile group on FB too. I was on it for a bit, but I never saw any cham keepers

Thanks! Just wasn't sure if I needed a higher wattage bulb or if there was something else I may have been doing wrong! I hope to get connected with the cham keepers in the PNW, I'm excited to have found LegendaryChameleons! Making the trek up to oak harbor friday night after work - through prime time seattle traffic! :eek:

I think it needs more foliage. I would add a schefflera on the bottom. That would fill it up! Welcome by the way and good luck

Yeah, I've been feeling that way too. After the previous comments and after sitting here and staring at it! Thank you, I'm pretty stoked to be diving into this adventure again! Last time was more or less "getting my toes wet."

Not having anything on the floor makes it easy to clean especially when he's new and you don't want to freak him out- you might want to have a way for him to climb up in case he falls -though most likely he'd just use the screen - good luck- don't forget to check the drainage - ( I didn't - big mistake)

Not having anything on the floor makes it easy to clean especially when he's new and you don't want to freak him out- you might want to have a way for him to climb up in case he falls -though most likely he'd just use the screen - good luck- don't forget to check the drainage - ( I didn't - big mistake)

I was thinking about that - keeping the plants hanging to prevent me from having to bother him while cleaning. both of the vines reach to the bottom, one is attached to the side of the enclosure, and the other is attached to one of the perches, going down to the bottom! I'm going to home depot today to check out what they got for plants, though! I want him to have plenty of hiding space!

I'm also on the hunt for a tray thats 18x18 to place at the bottom, because I just have his home on a table, for now, so a drainage system is a little tricky. I saw one at LLL, but I'm going to see if i can find one locally first. And I need to figure out what exactly my plan is for when I mist/fog, to not soak my walls! I've seen people using shower curtains, and towels. I guess it'll be a trial and error lesson!

I appreciate the comments, friends!
I'll get home around midnight friday night, (its a lengthy drive to pick up my little guy!) and I'll either be so pumped I wont be able to sleep, or I'll be so wiped out after driving for six hours after a full work day i'll pass out as soon as he does! :rolleyes: So pictures of my guy with be tomorrow night, or saturday morning! Can't wait to share!

Welcome, we will be waiting for pictures. Now drive careful, that is rotten traffic and the roads where you are headed have a great view, but remember the curves.

Welcome, we will be waiting for pictures. Now drive careful, that is rotten traffic and the roads where you are headed have a great view, but remember the curves.

Thanks! I've never driven through the island before, I wish it wasn't going to be so dark!

Here is a photo with the schefflera I got this morning! I got such a big one because the small tiny one was 8 bucks, and this one was 12 ... not a hard decision! Also, this LIVE plant cost less than a "large" exo-terra jungle plant. :eek: i should have checked into these a long time ago!

photo by p.rexphotography, on Flickr

It really is lovely but has a lot of curves and animals.

The tree is a wonderful addition. I would add a bunch of dowel sticks going every which way. My chams love that.

Back
Top Bottom