Automatic Misting

bay1997

Established Member
I currently am misting by hand 4-5 times day in order to keep my chams humidity in the 50-70% range which is fine because I am home most of the day besides leaving for classes for a couple hours at a time. I'm starting a new job up soon and have been looking into an automatic misting system and have a couple questions.
Would an Exo Terra Monsoon mister be sufficient while I save up a little for a Mist king? The reviews on amazon are very hot and cold, but I dont want to risk my little one not having the water he needs while I'm at work while waiting for me to save up a couple weeks for a mist king.
Secondly, could I see some photos of how your misters are set up/attached to your screen cages? I've seen a lot attached with suction cups but those don't work too well with screen cages.

I currently am misting by hand 4-5 times day in order to keep my chams humidity in the 50-70% range which is fine because I am home most of the day besides leaving for classes for a couple hours at a time. I'm starting a new job up soon and have been looking into an automatic misting system and have a couple questions.
Would an Exo Terra Monsoon mister be sufficient while I save up a little for a Mist king? The reviews on amazon are very hot and cold, but I dont want to risk my little one not having the water he needs while I'm at work while waiting for me to save up a couple weeks for a mist king.
Secondly, could I see some photos of how your misters are set up/attached to your screen cages? I've seen a lot attached with suction cups but those don't work too well with screen cages.
Honestly I would spend a little extra and get the mist king starter kit. Your looking at about 100 bucks for the monsoon or 130 for the mist king starter kit. The mist king is well worth the money. I love how fine of a mist it sprays as well. I have seen the monsoon in action it is good and all but here is what I don't like about them. Not a ton of water can go in them, the timer is very limited, and the mist is not as fine plus they seem to break a lot.
Mistking you pick the size of the reservoir you want to use, really fine mist, multiple settings and times for each you can actually set exactly what you want, and the pump can run dry without it dying in case you forget to fill the water.
Either one you will need to use RO water or distilled or your heads will get clogged.

Oh and also the difference between hand misting and an automatic for your cham is huge. Hand misting does not produce nearly as fine of a mist. Also a Cham is less likely to clean their eyes with you standing there. :) I started out hand misting since I worked from home. I switched after 4 weeks of it. Honestly your tied to the house if you hand mist as well because heaven forbid you not be there when they need their afternoon shower :p

Don't toss your hand mister though. I use mine for outdoor time and since it has a high pressure function to it I put really hot water in it to spray down all his branches to get any missed poop or urate each weekend. Spot checking and cleaning does not clean up everything so I have found it really handy to have. :)

Honestly I would spend a little extra and get the mist king starter kit. Your looking at about 100 bucks for the monsoon or 130 for the mist king starter kit. The mist king is well worth the money. I love how fine of a mist it sprays as well. I have seen the monsoon in action it is good and all but here is what I don't like about them. Not a ton of water can go in them, the timer is very limited, and the mist is not as fine plus they seem to break a lot.
Mistking you pick the size of the reservoir you want to use, really fine mist, multiple settings and times for each you can actually set exactly what you want, and the pump can run dry without it dying in case you forget to fill the water.
Either one you will need to use RO water or distilled or your heads will get clogged.
I found the monsoon for like 70 but I hadn't seen the mistking anywhere for less than 229! I'll snoop around for prices a little more!
If I can find one for $130 like you said I'll go that route for sure. Thanks!

I found the monsoon for like 70 but I hadn't seen the mistking anywhere for less than 229! I'll snoop around for prices a little more!
If I can find one for $130 like you said I'll go that route for sure. Thanks!
Ohhhh no problem here ya go. When you search just type mist king starter system otherwise your gonna get the fancy ones for larger set ups. You don't need that much though.
You want these
https://www.joshsfrogs.com/mistking-starter-misting-system.html
and one of these
https://www.joshsfrogs.com/mistking-value-nozzle-screen-top-wedge.html

Your welcome hun... I was really intimidated by the mistking since it was not as simple as the monsoon but I will tell you it is soooo easy to put together.

Just so you can see an example of a set up here is mine.. You do want to get the 9/16 drill bit though for when you drill into your reservoir that way you get a really tight fit with no leaks.

IMG_2587.jpg
IMG_2588.jpg

I like mine. It works as well as my BF's MistKings. I have had no problems with it the unit except the timer did give out after 3+ years. I easily and cheaply replaced it with something from Amazon.
The timer I got back then is not as sophisticated as the one that currently comes with the MistKing. I don't know what the timer they have now is like.

Ohhhh no problem here ya go. When you search just type mist king starter system otherwise your gonna get the fancy ones for larger set ups. You don't need that much though.
You want these
https://www.joshsfrogs.com/mistking-starter-misting-system.html
and one of these
https://www.joshsfrogs.com/mistking-value-nozzle-screen-top-wedge.html
I have another question I just thought of, were having a 2x2x6 enclosure made so he can move in when he gets bigger, will I need a larger set up then or should the same mister be enough?

I like mine. It works as well as my BF's MistKings. I have had no problems with it the unit except the timer did give out after 3+ years. I easily and cheaply replaced it with something from Amazon.
The timer I got back then is not as sophisticated as the one that currently comes with the MistKing. I don't know what the timer they have now is like.
Ok I think going for the climist over the mistking. Thanks

I have another question I just thought of, were having a 2x2x6 enclosure made so he can move in when he gets bigger, will I need a larger set up then or should the same mister be enough?
Yeah exactly what joxie said... So when you buy another nozzle head I recommend not doing the dual head one. They suck because you can't angle them as well as the single head. So you will want a wedge for each nozzle you have and with the kit you get the L nozzle top so when you buy another you get the T top one that way your ending your line with the L. So this is the one you buy for any additional heads. https://www.joshsfrogs.com/mistking-value-t-misting-assembly.html

Yeah exactly what joxie said... So when you buy another nozzle head I recommend not doing the dual head one. They suck because you can't angle them as well as the single head. So you will want a wedge for each nozzle you have and with the kit you get the L nozzle top so when you buy another you get the T top one that way your ending your line with the L. So this is the one you buy for any additional heads. https://www.joshsfrogs.com/mistking-value-t-misting-assembly.html
Thank you! We still have a little while before it'll be done but I wanna be prepared!

Back
Top Bottom