Automatic Misters

Psydeways

Hi all!

I'm due to get a baby Panther in 3/4 months and have been told that the eggs are due to hatch any day now so getting really excited!!

I want to get an automatic mister so he can be misted whilst I'm at work during the day; but I don't have a water line accessible where his cage will be. Are there any automatic misters available that have a reservoir which you can fill up rather than ones that are connected directly into a water line? If not, does anyone have any other potential solutions?

Thanks in advance :)

How exciting!

Both Mistking and Aquazamp brand misters are pumps which pull from a reservoir you choose, whether it's a 5 gallon bucket or a much larger container, the choice is up to you. But they do not have to pull directly from a water line or pipe.

I have a Mistking which pulls from a large storage container because I have so many cages, but a 2-5 gal bucket is more than enough for one cage for days.

Both systems are excellent, and both owners are great people do deal with if you have questions.

Edit- Just to show you what I mean, here is my Mistking hooked up. The measurements were for something else, because I had a question, but it illustrates what is the pump and what is the reservoir.

mistingmeasurements.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at the suggestions.

So I'll be able to hand mist his cage in the mornings and evenings before/after work. If I didn't want to get an automatic misting system, would a dripper for the day whilst I'm at work (8am-6pm) be OK in conjunction with me hand misting his cage twice a day???

Yes, that could work. Perhaps better in summer than in winter (you want the cage dry by lights-off time, so in winter when your lights might go off at 6pm, it might be too late to mist again) but that'll work.

I would do a nice thorough mist in the morning, getting everything nice and wet and dripping. Perhaps a couple minutes long if you have the time. That should be enough to let him drink, let him wash out his eyes, get his skin wet, etc., and then a nice, slow dripper will give him chances to drink throughout the day.

Aaaah ok thanks again!

What's the reason behind needing the cage dry by lights off time? If it's still slightly damp, is that bad for the cham?

Aaaah ok thanks again!

What's the reason behind needing the cage dry by lights off time? If it's still slightly damp, is that bad for the cham?

If there are a couple little wet spots that's ok, but you don't want the cage really wet when it takes a long time to dry off. Chameleons can get foot infections from clinging on to a wet branch all night (sort of like trench foot) every night. You also want your cage to dry out during the day too, between mistings. Having things like plants and vines wet all day will lead to rotting plants, mold, and other ickiness which is not great.

Essentially, you don't want the cage to be wet all the time, all day long. Having dry periods is healthy for both the chameleon and any plants you have.

I got a MistKing system for the same reason you are thinking of one. It is so that I can mist while I am at work. I got a 5 Gallon bucket with cover for $5 at Home Depot. I mounted the pump to the cover so it is a self contained unit. I filled the bucket with about 4.5 gallons of water and it has been running for a week now and still is almost half full. I mist every 2.5 hours for 3 minutes. I am currently running 1 nozzle, but I will be putting another one in once it arrives, so I will be using more water once that is in the system. The 3 minutes seems like a great amount of time, at least in my ecosystem. It gets everything nice and wet and dripping. It is enough to water the plants in my enclosure as well which is another reason I like the automatic mister as then I do not need to water them. I might add a dripper as well to keep a constant water source for the cham to drink from and make it fall into one of the plants so it does not collect on the bottom of the cage.

I don't have my cham yet either, but I wanted to make sure I got the ecosystem correct before I bring the little guy in. I will be getting him in July.

I think I may see how I get on first by hand misting twice a day and using a dripper whilst I'm at work before getting an automatic system in place.

You must be as excited as I am!! Can't wait for his arrival!!

Hello, I also have a question about misting is some one could help. I have a reptibreeze is 18*18*36 enclosure and would like to use my automatic mister but I can't figure out a way to set up the water lines. Any one have any ideas.

What kind of misting system do you have? What parts do you have for the system? Every system will be a little different because there are many ways to set them up depending on your parts. List out what you have and I can help you out to the best of my ability.

I have a exo terra monsoon rs 400, I have the hoses and they come with suction cups, but since I now have a screen enclosure I can't suction cup in there. The sprayer is very adjustable just can't figure out a way to pace it in the cage.

With the suction cups you can use plant twist ties. Tie the suction cup to the side of the cage by drilling holes in the suction cups in a couple spots so it can be nicely mounted. I bought 100 feet of it at the local garden center and it came with a cutter so I could cut them to whatever length I wanted. Just make sure the twisted ends are outside the cage or are hidden where the chameleon can't get to them so they do not get hurt.

I would keep the tank outside the cage and run the lines into the cage for the sprayer. You might have to get more line so it is longer and can be outside on a table or the floor or where ever you want to keep it.

Another idea for your monsoon would be make a DIY version of an AquaZamp RainDome. It's basically an upside down bowl with the nozzle inside of it that sits on the top of the cage.

Back
Top Bottom