Automatic Feeder

lizardhelp

Hi guys,

I would like to ask for some advice on something.
I am making a self cricket feeder for my reptile, I was planning on making something that will lower a cup of crickets to the ground of my cage. Then it will dispense crickets for my reptile. I was wondering if anyone has any better suggestions or advice that I can use?

Thank you very much

Hi guys,

I would like to ask for some advice on something.
I am making a self cricket feeder for my reptile, I was planning on making something that will lower a cup of crickets to the ground of my cage. Then it will dispense crickets for my reptile. I was wondering if anyone has any better suggestions or advice that I can use?

Thank you very much
Any pictures of the prototype, or is it still on paper?

Any pictures of the prototype, or is it still on paper?

sorry I still have it on paper Im trying to see how I will do it, I was planning on have a string connected to a timer or something as the timer goes it will slowly tighten the string that is connected to a cup with a lid. That lid will then open which contains crickets inside.

sorry I still have it on paper Im trying to see how I will do it, I was planning on have a string connected to a timer or something as the timer goes it will slowly tighten the string that is connected to a cup with a lid. That lid will then open which contains crickets inside.
Just be careful, anything mechanical that could harm your cham needs to be rethought for safety. Sometimes I think about a system for my chameleons for when I breed Gracilior, if I could connect a lot of PVC tubing, and a cover that was lifted when it was set on a timer. The crickets would crawl in with the smell of something alluring at the end of the tunnel when the timer goes off. I have been thinking just like you about automatic feeders. BTW, what is the point of automatic feeding if you have to refill it every feeding? I think it would have to be connected to your colony.

I have often thought of using something like this.
Screenshot_20171115-184224.png
All you need to do is give your crickets enough food and water for up to 6 days. And maybe throw a couple extra in towards the end of the week to compensate for die offs.

I like that idea. I'm just afraid the crickets inside it would just run amok under the cover and not stay in each daily portion.
The chameleon breeder podcast has a segment on what to do when going out of town if you have chameleons (episode 3). It's worth a listen.

Just be careful, anything mechanical that could harm your cham needs to be rethought for safety. Sometimes I think about a system for my chameleons for when I breed Gracilior, if I could connect a lot of PVC tubing, and a cover that was lifted when it was set on a timer. The crickets would crawl in with the smell of something alluring at the end of the tunnel when the timer goes off. I have been thinking just like you about automatic feeders. BTW, what is the point of automatic feeding if you have to refill it every feeding? I think it would have to be connected to your colony.

Yes, I will definitely make sure its safe I don't want to hurt my cham, I thought the same thing about that there isnt really no point of a self cricket feeder but I am doing it for a school porject, I wanted some advice of other people, i do like how you said to connect it to a colony. What are crickets attracted to?

I like that idea. I'm just afraid the crickets inside it would just run amok under the cover and not stay in each daily portion.
The chameleon breeder podcast has a segment on what to do when going out of town if you have chameleons (episode 3). It's worth a listen.
Can you send the link of the podcast please I would like to listen to it >

Never figured out how to feed crickets but flies are possible. BSF or blue bottle flies. Give them a container they can fly out of but larvae can' climb out of and cham can't get into. Add maggots of different sizes and pupae.

I'm not familiar with the website, I just use a tablet and headphones. It is really fun to listen to that when you have to clean a bunch of reptile cages, so just go to podcasts, which is a purple app if you have an ipad, and look up chameleon, and the "Chameleon Breeder Podcast" will show up. There is a lot of great info there.

Back
Top Bottom