Automatic Feeder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lizardhelp, Nov 14, 2017.

1. lizardhelp

lizardhelp New Member

Hi guys,

I would like to ask for some advice on something.
    I am making a self cricket feeder for my reptile, I was planning on making something that will lower a cup of crickets to the ground of my cage. Then it will dispense crickets for my reptile. I was wondering if anyone has any better suggestions or advice that I can use?

Thank you very much

2. CJ's Exotics

CJ's Exotics Established Member

Any pictures of the prototype, or is it still on paper?

3. lizardhelp

lizardhelp New Member

sorry I still have it on paper Im trying to see how I will do it, I was planning on have a string connected to a timer or something as the timer goes it will slowly tighten the string that is connected to a cup with a lid. That lid will then open which contains crickets inside.

4. CJ's Exotics

Just be careful, anything mechanical that could harm your cham needs to be rethought for safety. Sometimes I think about a system for my chameleons for when I breed Gracilior, if I could connect a lot of PVC tubing, and a cover that was lifted when it was set on a timer. The crickets would crawl in with the smell of something alluring at the end of the tunnel when the timer goes off. I have been thinking just like you about automatic feeders. BTW, what is the point of automatic feeding if you have to refill it every feeding? I think it would have to be connected to your colony.

5. Angelwolf

Angelwolf Avid Member

I have often thought of using something like this. Screenshot_20171115-184224.png All you need to do is give your crickets enough food and water for up to 6 days. And maybe throw a couple extra in towards the end of the week to compensate for die offs.

6. JacksJill

JacksJill Chameleon Enthusiast

I like that idea. I'm just afraid the crickets inside it would just run amok under the cover and not stay in each daily portion.
    The chameleon breeder podcast has a segment on what to do when going out of town if you have chameleons (episode 3). It's worth a listen.

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  7. lizardhelp

lizardhelp New Member

Yes, I will definitely make sure its safe I don't want to hurt my cham, I thought the same thing about that there isnt really no point of a self cricket feeder but I am doing it for a school porject, I wanted some advice of other people, i do like how you said to connect it to a colony. What are crickets attracted to?

8. lizardhelp

lizardhelp New Member

Can you send the link of the podcast please I would like to listen to it >

9. NickTide

NickTide Member

Never figured out how to feed crickets but flies are possible. BSF or blue bottle flies. Give them a container they can fly out of but larvae can' climb out of and cham can't get into. Add maggots of different sizes and pupae.

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  10. CJ's Exotics

I'm not familiar with the website, I just use a tablet and headphones. It is really fun to listen to that when you have to clean a bunch of reptile cages, so just go to podcasts, which is a purple app if you have an ipad, and look up chameleon, and the "Chameleon Breeder Podcast" will show up. There is a lot of great info there.