Auto Mister for Mesh Enclosure (No Drilling?)

F r a n k

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered - I couldn't find any relevant threads.

My current setup is the ReptiBreeze mesh enclosure with lots of plants etc. and a dripper for water, however I now work a lot and can't mist by hand several times a day so need an automatic mister system.

I know MistKing is 'the best' but it seems like the system requires drilling and lots of setup. I live in a rented property so need something as unintrusive/portable as possible! Anyone got any clever MistKing set ups that won't ruin my walls?

I have found the Zoo Med ReptiRain which looks ideal as it hooks on to the mesh and is fairly small, but reviews are not good. I've read a couple of threads that say the same.

Anyone have any thoughts? Can you show me your beginner/intermediate setups good enough for 1 chameleon?

Thanks!!

MistKing and CliMist are best, but Exo Terra Monsoon will work in a pinch. To protect your walls, use something on the sides of the enclosure, like PVC/sign board, shower curtains, vinyl, window film kit, etc

Mistking will not ruin your walls any more then you hand misting. You can always use clear window film on the back and a side panel outside and aim your misting head that direction so you do not have overspray.

The only think your drilling with the mistking is the reservoir bucket you choose to use. You want to be precise in the drill bit size they recommend and not over or under tighten the bulkhead. Then you just run your lines. Easy. Mistking will not break down on you like the other crappy ones and you can set the exact time down to the minute you want your misting sessions to happen.

I forgot to attach the pic.

IMG_6196.JPG

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!!

To clarify, I have plastic backing to protect walls from water damage. What I meant was I thought you have to drill the MistKing pump into something but I now see you dont!

Amazing - thank you for the help. If anyone else can show their set ups like above I would highly appreciate it :D

Mistking will not ruin your walls any more then you hand misting. You can always use clear window film on the back and a side panel outside and aim your misting head that direction so you do not have overspray.

The only think your drilling with the mistking is the reservoir bucket you choose to use. You want to be precise in the drill bit size they recommend and not over or under tighten the bulkhead. Then you just run your lines. Easy. Mistking will not break down on you like the other crappy ones and you can set the exact time down to the minute you want your misting sessions to happen.
True about the drilling, however you also need to secure the pump in position, however that is relatively easy to do as well as secure the tubes and mist heads.

However with the quick disconnect setup, it is easy to break the system down enough to make it easy to transport, and I'm talking from experience with two moves with a setup that has a MistKing.

True about the drilling, however you also need to secure the pump in position, however that is relatively easy to do as well as secure the tubes and mist heads.

However with the quick disconnect setup, it is easy to break the system down enough to make it easy to transport, and I'm talking from experience with two moves with a setup that has a MistKing.
Yep this too. I have two screws into the feet of the base of the pump. And all my lines I use the nozzle clips from mistking.

This is my current setup, but I'm in the process of an upgrade so it will be changing. I apologize for the bad setup, I was limited for the funds as I had lost my job and was going to school when I had to build the enclosure. Still turned out alright, however with a bit of extra cash floating around, I'm now investing in a major upgrade.
16221367424097124727476165878466.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help. I will start planning for a MistKing setup.

@Beman - I saw your thread about filtered/distilled water - did you find a solution? It would be great if I could use a water filter like Brita rather than distilling water as it seems to be fairly time consuming (of which I have very little at the moment!)

Edit - I think my tap water is high quality. The water in my area is listed as only 'Slightly Hard'

@Beman - I saw your thread about filtered/distilled water - did you find a solution? It would be great if I could use a water filter like Brita rather than distilling water as it seems to be fairly time consuming (of which I have very little at the moment!)

Edit - I think my tap water is high quality. The water in my area is listed as only 'Slightly Hard'
If it's considered slightly hard, I wouldn't be surprised if the TDS is still higher than what most run through their MistKings. My tap water is at around 120 TDS and unfortunately due to circumstance, I don't have the means to run RO through my system currently, but I haven't had issues in the 4 years I've had it. Basically I live in an old house that I can't add an RO system to and I go through 5 gallons or more of water a day on the dryer days just to keep humidity around 50%. I accept the shame in what I have had to do. And I can't add an RO system as I don't own the house so I'm limited to what I can actually do. However, I do know that most of the TDS in my water is from calcium carbonate so I just have to regularly remove the limescale from the misting heads. The pump has had no deposits form though.

Last edited:

Soooo yes and no. I do not want to use the water filter pitchers because they are expensive for the filter. I tested one and I get great water the first week but the second it gets worse. And it takes forever to fill up a gallon.

So look around where you live for water fill up places. My circle K convenience store has one and Safeway grocery. They are RO water. And almost always on the outside of the building with signs. Mine run 35cents a gallon. I run two things with this water. My misting system and my fogger. I am filling about 8 gallons a week. But I live in a very dry climate and run longer misting sessions in the morning and evening. I bought the crystal gyser water bottles at the store in the gallon size. That water is good to use. And then I just fill those bottles. They have a better carry handle then others which is why I get those. :)

Use distilled or RO or RO/DI water if possible
+1 except for the "if possible". This is the one thing that can kill the system.

1622138132238.jpeg

Tubing not attached yet. Tilting the reservoir allows more of the water to be usable instead of 2" sitting at the bottom. Reservoirs should have a lid to keep out flotsam & jetsam. A clear or translucent reservoir can indicate its level at a glance from across the room or house.

The pump sits in front of the reservoir—no screws or bolts. It's very quiet; if the TV is on or the fridge or dishwaser are running, you can't hear the mister.

1622138478619.jpeg

I use the filter that comes with the starter kit. A very short piece of tubing connects the filter to the bulkhead—keeps things neat & tidy.

1622139160141.jpeg

Tubing goes up the right side and across the top at the front. You can see the center & left mist heads/nozzles. Right nozzle is out of frame.

1622138309674.jpeg

Drain bucket takes a month to fill up halfway, at which time I dump it on the garden. The blocks under the back feet of the table provide pitch. I have a piece of hose that attaches to the PVC so the bucket can fit neatly under the table if desired.

I bought the crystal gyser water bottles at the store in the gallon size. That water is good to use.
Crystal Geyser water contains 6.0-6.4mg./liter of calcium plus many other minerals.
Here is the analysis:

Bottled Water Report - Crystal Geyser

Analyses of their other sources can be found on Consumer Reports:
https://www.consumerreports.org/wat...-in-your-bottled-water-water-quality-reports/

See also:

Crystal Geyser bottled water maker admits dumping arsenic in Californian water

When we tested Crystal Geyser spring water, we found out, that the TDS level in the water was 113 ppm, and the pH was about. 7.5.
https://testaqua.com/spring-water-tests/crystal-geyser-water-test/

We recommend against refilling our bottles because (as with many food or beverage products) when our product is opened and consumed microorganisms may be introduced into a container and begin to grow. If water or any other beverage is repeatedly refilled into a previously opened and no longer sterile bottle, the possibility of microbiological growth has been shown to increase. Therefore, as a health precaution, we do not recommend refilling and re-using our bottles.
https://www.crystalgeyserplease.com/faqs/

I didn't have to "dig" to find any of this stuff. It all came up on a simple search of what's in it:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=crystal+geyser+water+analysis

Back
Top Bottom