ASSESSING THE HEALTH OF WILD-CAUGHT CHAMELEONS…

I feel that article is still pretty accurate today. I've had wc imports from Kenya, Cameroon and Madagascar. My first was a Trioceros jacksonii xantholophus from Kenya that I was able to keep for close to 5yrs. My second was a Trioceros Cristatus from Cameroon that I still have today at 5yrs. More recently several 7 I believe Culumma brevicorne from Madagascar loosing 4 of those but one was due to being gravid and the eggs never calcified issues. They definitely don't receive the best of care after being caught and held for transportation to the US and come in rough shape. The importers that I have dealt with do a good job feeding and rehydration for the time they have them.

When I first started keeping chameleons back in the 80’s, all you could get were WC’s from their country of origin. They often/almost always came in in sad condition. The airport wouldn’t always put them somewhere warm on the plane or keep them warm at the airport, which added to the issues of poor captive conditions they lived in before shipping. So sad.

I think the first ones I got CB, were male veiled chameleons.

The first ones I hatched were from WC chameleon chamaeleons…and the hatchlings I kept from the eggs I hatched all did well.

Yep back in the 80s all we got was Wild caught , every single one would have fecal’s done . Treated most of them. Sadly, the majority of them passed. Longevity of keeping back then was six months to a year. so glad our husbandry has come such a long way.

Most of the chamaeleo chamaeleons I had lived form5 years back then…even the WC ones that I started with. I think I was just lucky…or maybe they were because I got enough right for them to adapt and survive.

Many other species were much more of a challenge in my experience. Fischers multis either seemed to do really well or crash…for example. Dwarf Jacksons did well for me but other Jacksons often crashed, etc.

Most of the chamaeleo chamaeleons I had lived form5 years back then…even the WC ones that I started with. I think I was just lucky…or maybe they were because I got enough right for them to adapt and survive.

Many other species were much more of a challenge in my experience. Fischers multis either seemed to do really well or crash…for example. Dwarf Jacksons did well for me but other Jacksons often crashed, etc.
I knew nothing about importers back then , 90% of what I got was in a pet shop! We would drive around the San Fernando Valley Los Angeles area, and whenever we would find them, we would purchase them not really knowing a lot about their condition , or even really knowing how to raise them .I also did very well with Jackson and Panthers. There were a lot of Senegal and flap necks back then but I would lose them quite quickly . Smaller species like carpet I never had much success with. My Johnston did fairly well. I even had a Verrucosus that was on death’s door . That I was able to nurse along for over a year. One of my few successes back in the day. Thanks for the link it was fun to read.

Your welcome for the link.

I found Senegals not too hard to keep but could never get them to reproduce. Flaps gave me a problem. Some verucosus did well too…but not all of them.

Fuelleborni seemed to be ok. Some quads did really well and some crashed.

Sometimes I thought the time of year they were imported had something to do with it (how well they did) in some species.

I never imported them on my own…I dealt mostly with one store that dealt in reptiles.

good read, in my experience with WC (T Vosseleri, Panthers and Parsonii), this part pretty much sums it up:

''In my own experiences with several wild-caught chameleons a pattern began to emerge. I found that during the first few weeks to a month most chameleons consumed food eagerly and appeared alert and robust. Many looked comfortable, but wary in their new environments, however there was little other cause for concern from outward appearances. I have dubbed this the "honeymoon" period.

While it does not occur in every case, the next stage seems to determine whether or not the chameleon survives. Food intake often ceases and the chameleon appears depressed or nervous, and may pace the perimeter of the cage. It is at this crossroad where the chameleon either seems to accept captivity and continues life, or begins a downward spiral to death''

most survived and after deworming did great, but i did come across a few that just couldn't take it and you fall in that place were you want to help him but the necessary actions just stress them out more and they die.

To me, it's JACKSON'S that are the hardest to keep.
I do currently have a six year old male. He loves that 50 something degree south Florida winter night temps. The rest of the year, he has a very complex system to drop that temp.

Back
Top Bottom