Asking for help Don't know where to go from here

cosmic charlie

Established Member
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther, Male, and 2 years 2 months. Have had him since 10 weeks old.?
Handling - Usually once or twice a week. to put him in the sun. He does not mind being handled for a short period?
Feeding - Crickets, silkworms, hornworms when i get them. does not like dubias, used to eat turks now he won't? 6 crickets every other day. 3 to 4 silkies instead of crickets? ? Usuall gut load was carrots, sweet potato, blueberries, raspberries, mango, mustard greens, kale and dandelion greens. Have used bug burger as well?
Supplements - reptical with and without D3 and reptivite vitamins. Depending on the day he will get calcium without most days and vitamins and D3 about twice a month for both.?
Watering - Misting system? 5 times a day at 4 minutes at a time.He is not drinking any more. he has a a nozzle spray and a rain dome supplying water
Fecal Description - Fecal is soft and moist. His urates are very large white but hard as a rock. He has been tested numerous times. no parasites
History - Charlie was fine until about three months ago. Active and ate almost immediately as soon as feeders entered the cup ( he used to sit and wait for them). He would go every 5 or 6 days. Then that stopped. he has to be forced to go at the moment.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen cage 2'x2'x4'
Lighting - retisun 5.0 linear tube and 60 watt basking bulb. lights on a 12/12 schedule
Temperature - As of yesterday temps ranged around 90 at the top. I have not taken the range inawhile so will have to do so. I have digital thermometer
Humidity - levels are now 50-70% They were getting lower so more live plants were added and has helped maintain that range
Plants - Shefflera and poths plants
Placement - cage is located an exterior room with a large window. He is 8 feet away from the window and on the opposite side the window opens to avoid drafts. The area can be considered High traffic but this does not seem to bother him as he readily comes out of his cage. I do try to limit the interaction. The top of the cage is around the 7 foot mark.
Location - I am in New York so we have humidity concerns in the winter time and a small problem with night time temps if its a hot humid night.

Current Problem - Charlie stopped going to the bathroom on a regular basis. I noticed he had not gone in almost 2 weeks so he went to the vet. She massaged him for 10 minutes and he went immediately. We noticed the urates were much longer than normal for him and was very firm. he was tested for parasite and came back normal/

Again another 2 weeks passed and he did not go but ate fine. Again he went back was massaged and nothing. An enema was given and he went immediately. We were given instructions to give an enemas and used a mixture that the vet gave us to keep him hydrated and keeps his electrolytes normal. Watering was increased in time and the rain dome added to his cage.

We watched him drink a few times but that has stopped.

He was given Antibiotics as a preventitive measure incase it was bacteria that was causing the problem. Charlie has since stopped drinking that I have noticed anyway. He does not go to the water at anytime I am home to watch.

When we saw no real improvement . A blood sample was taken and it showed that his phosphorous was high. I was given medication to bind the phosphorous and have switched him to replashy calcium plus so he has a little more pre formed Vit a and I have increased the carrrot and sweet potato amount in the gut load so he gets more beta carotene also.

I also noticed that he was also putting out very hard sperm plugs when trying to go.

When we gave him an enema yesterday we literary squeezed sperm out of him. He did not go.

So this is where I am at. His colors are dull and he looked very ashen yesterday. He is going back to the vet today, He is not active anymore and move very little around the cage

We did take him out in the sun for the first time 2 weeks ago and he went on his own after he came inside. He really did like the sun :(.

So I am asking if anyone has anymore insight. I am not sure what else the vet or I can do. He is not eating crickets at all. nor roaches so him getting his nutrients are a problem now.

Thanks for any insight.

Mel

Honestly, all I can think of is possibly a part of his bowel is necrotic. But it is really hard to say. I hope the vet can figure out what is wrong soon.

Back
Top Bottom