as per usual, I have a couple questions 💚

pascal2023

Avid Member
I am currently setting up P’s New enclosure put in all the plants and things in! Exciting times I will put her in tomorrow when the door is been secured properly I will show photos tomorrow when it’s all done as a few of you asked to see it 😍

My first question is has anyone bought fruit beetle grubs before? I’m almost sure as soon as I purchase say 12 within two days they get sucked into another dimension because they never in the pot, this sounds really weird but I ordered 12 about a week ago and put them in some substrate an extra mod that was supplied with them and I put feed in there for them to every couple of days since they like to borrow and hide, however I open this box every day to check that none have died but as much as I take around I can never find them is that just me or are being completely stupid and they die off really quickly? 😅 I know they like to hide but it shouldn’t be this hard to find them since it’s shallow mud, I noticed one was in a weird mud cocoon thing which I broke open because I’ve never seen it before other than that yesterday I had three and today I only have one… what’s happening here ?! 😂

(Picture attached of the weird mud cocoon thing) DAD5238A-05C2-47E7-9ECE-29098F6E126E.jpeg

My next question is I’ve noticed as she is getting bigger her back legs on her joints near her feet look quite thick, if anyone is able to could someone tell me if this is normal or not 🥲 do they look ok?
3C3DBCFB-7866-4DDB-857A-D7ADD8B9F57B.jpeg

Lastly I thought I’d share my enclosure for her crickets which is her main staple is there anything better I could be doing with this since this is how I’ve always done it …

they have hydration gel/balls
And I give them fresh veg and fruit like kale and mango and add in Arcadia insect fuel gutload powder into a A couple of little dishes with a little sprinkle of natural be pollen on the occasion, photo attached 🦎 (in comments)

Thanks guys x

Never used fruit beetle grubs before and I hope you find a answer. Can't wait to see new enclosure. I would think it's normal they have a lot of grip strength in their toes. Have you seen Pascal wrap her tail set her back legs and fire her tongue?

Never used fruit beetle grubs before and I hope you find a answer. Can't wait to see new enclosure. I would think it's normal they have a lot of grip strength in their toes. Have you seen Pascal wrap her tail set her back legs and fire her tongue?
I know it sounds really weird, I can’t explain it lol!
yeah I suppose it could be that, she gets all the right vitamin supplements and calcium amounts so I’d be surprised !
And no I haven’t seen her do that, what does that mean ?

I had to Google about the grubs as I hadn’t heard of them. It seems the mud ball/case is for when they are pupating into beetles. I’d guess that the disappearances are possibly hidden mud balls or failed pupation. I’m guessing you got them to use as feeders in their grub state? If so, I’d just feed them off quickly before they have time to sit and pupate.
For crickets, I don’t keep mine on any substrate. Is much easier to clean their bin. I get 500 at a time, so use a big bin with lots of ventilation along the sides as well as the top and only feed them what I think they’ll eat in a day or two.

I know it sounds really weird, I can’t explain it lol!
yeah I suppose it could be that, she gets all the right vitamin supplements and calcium amounts so I’d be surprised !
And no I haven’t seen her do that, what does that mean.
Mine sometimes braces for a tongue shot also when he hangs straight down getting food

I’m using the grubs as well, the ones I use are rose beetles. They grubs are only good as treats, because they contain high fat percentages. And don’t put them in this stage in your bioactive soil, they’ll eat everything and destroy your healthy roots. Once they cocoon then you can put them in, my veiled loves the beetles.

And those beetles are beautiful and big……here’s one

5A8B5B31-9ECC-41D4-9D8C-B1CA8681465E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom