Are these to bug for my girl?

Jax1124

I brought these for my girl but want to know if they are to big or not?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 92FC0DFE-697A-454F-B70F-396B00C0A075.jpeg
    92FC0DFE-697A-454F-B70F-396B00C0A075.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 130
Hi there. Ok so the rule is you do not want to feed anything that is wider than the width of her head. I can not tell how large they actually are but they will die if they are left in a plastic bag. Did you get hornworm food for them? They grow rapidly. And you do not want to feed more then 1 or 2 a day with other feeders.

Kind of hard to tell the size since theres only a piece of poop to get a size refference from. Some members use a rule for feeders to be no larger then the space inbetween the eyes, and no larger then the length of the head for worms (I believe). Personally i got by common sense. If it looks to big to feed dont feed it. Maybe feed off the smaller ones first see how he handles them and go from there.

Hi there. Ok so the rule is you do not want to feed anything that is wider than the width of her head. I can not tell how large they actually are but they will die if they are left in a plastic bag. Did you get hornworm food for them? They grow rapidly. And you do not want to feed more then 1 or 2 a day with other feeders.

Hi thank you for your response. I fed her the smallest one which was definitely smaller than the width they recommend. We did get them food and took them out of the bag as soon as we got home. I usually only feed her 2-3 a week just as a treat. She just had her first shed with us yesterday so I wanted to give her a treat!. I read that the best place to store is in a cooler with the container on one side and an ice pack on the other. Any suggestions? Thank you so much you guys have been so helpful!!!

Hi thank you for your response. I fed her the smallest one which was definitely smaller than the width they recommend. We did get them food and took them out of the bag as soon as we got home. I usually only feed her 2-3 a week just as a treat. She just had her first shed with us yesterday so I wanted to give her a treat!. I read that the best place to store is in a cooler with the container on one side and an ice pack on the other. Any suggestions? Thank you so much you guys have been so helpful!!!
Yeah you can do that. Just make sure they don't get too cold. :) Empty their poop each day as well to keep them clean. If she took down the smaller one without issue then you should be good. I am pretty careful with worms although horns are pretty soft. Basically I won't feed anything that looks like it could be an issue. Width of feeder compared to her head width is key. Since she just got through a shed I would go ahead and feed them off at each feeding. It will not hurt as long as she is getting other feeders to balance the water content of the horn worms. It can be very shocking when they start doubling in their size overnight lol.

The whole “no wider than the space between their eyes” rule is really just to keep rookies from hurting their Cham with larger prey. It would shock you what they can get down. Just take it slow and don’t stick any thing crazy in there and you’ll be fine.

The whole “no wider than the space between their eyes” rule is really just to keep rookies from hurting their Cham with larger prey. It would shock you what they can get down. Just take it slow and don’t stick any thing crazy in there and you’ll be fine.
Thank you so much!! Totally weird I know but can you tell me if she looks overweight I’m just trying to keep her healthy lol I don’t want her to be to thick I added some pics please lmk what you think I’m sorry for the 20 questions

Attachments

• A5FB1AC1-81C8-4D0A-91EF-06230D53B65A.jpeg
    A5FB1AC1-81C8-4D0A-91EF-06230D53B65A.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 88
  • CDB3BB29-8EAA-41D6-8899-CF6FABAA2351.jpeg
    CDB3BB29-8EAA-41D6-8899-CF6FABAA2351.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 75
Yeah you can do that. Just make sure they don't get too cold. :) Empty their poop each day as well to keep them clean. If she took down the smaller one without issue then you should be good. I am pretty careful with worms although horns are pretty soft. Basically I won't feed anything that looks like it could be an issue. Width of feeder compared to her head width is key. Since she just got through a shed I would go ahead and feed them off at each feeding. It will not hurt as long as she is getting other feeders to balance the water content of the horn worms. It can be very shocking when they start doubling in their size overnight lol.

Lol thank you so much I added some pics can you tell me if she looks a little thick to you! I feed her 10-15 small crickets a day some may be more mediumish I just don’t want to over feed her. If I add in a super or hornworm I’ll do more like 8-10 crickets. When should I start the every other day feeding. I’m sorry I’m asking so many questions just want to make sure my girl is getting everything she needa

Lol thank you so much I added some pics can you tell me if she looks a little thick to you! I feed her 10-15 small crickets a day some may be more mediumish I just don’t want to over feed her. If I add in a super or hornworm I’ll do more like 8-10 crickets. When should I start the every other day feeding. I’m sorry I’m asking so many questions just want to make sure my girl is getting everything she needa
LOL no such thing as too many questions. Trust me I have been there. She looks beautiful and healthy. How old is she right now? Once she gets to 6-7 months you want to start transitioning her to every other day feeding of 10-12 feeders. So you want to do this by reducing the every other day amount over a few weeks until you are only feeding on the every other day schedule. You can add in a variety of feeders as well. Black soldier fly larvae are great. Rainbow mealworms sells these as phoenix worms and you could by the large size because they are actually small.
Have you done the help form yet for a review of your husbandry?

LOL no such thing as too many questions. Trust me I have been there. She looks beautiful and healthy. How old is she right now? Once she gets to 6-7 months you want to start transitioning her to every other day feeding of 10-12 feeders. So you want to do this by reducing the every other day amount over a few weeks until you are only feeding on the every other day schedule. You can add in a variety of feeders as well. Black soldier fly larvae are great. Rainbow mealworms sells these as phoenix worms and you could by the large size because they are actually small.
Have you done the help form yet for a review of your husbandry?

I did do the review and added in a better basking light, I added the th50 linear bulb 10.0 one I’ve added a dripper reduced my misting and do a fogger at night since I live in Arizona I need help with humidity at night. Doing the review helped a lot I’ve recently starting making my own guy load for my crickets and added super worms and hornworms to her diet. I tried Dubia’s but she’s not interested at all. I’m also currently trying to decide on building her a new enclosure or buying one from dragon strand but I’ll decide on that soon. I need something bigger so I can have a lay bin on stand by when she gets to that age. This forum helped a lot your even one of the people who helped with my lighting :) I’m sure you respond a lot though lol

I did do the review and added in a better basking light, I added the th50 linear bulb 10.0 one I’ve added a dripper reduced my misting and do a fogger at night since I live in Arizona I need help with humidity at night. Doing the review helped a lot I’ve recently starting making my own guy load for my crickets and added super worms and hornworms to her diet. I tried Dubia’s but she’s not interested at all. I’m also currently trying to decide on building her a new enclosure or buying one from dragon strand but I’ll decide on that soon. I need something bigger so I can have a lay bin on stand by when she gets to that age. This forum helped a lot your even one of the people who helped with my lighting :) I’m sure you respond a lot though lol
I thought so but I have an issue tracking all the threads I add to. lol Sorry about that. I have a dragonstrand clearside cage. I love it. And as I said no such thing as a stupid question. Questions help us learn. I am still learning every day. I do not think this is a hobby where you ever stop learning honestly. lol. I am Becca by the way. :)

Here is my thread on my enclosure build. https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...d-clear-side-aka-bemans-mansion.167884/page-4
As you will see it was a process that I still was improving upon as of a few weeks ago. Always learning lol.

And just when we think we know everything Bill Strand will update a podcast to keep us on our toes! Thank you for saying those kind words. We don't claim to be vets, or even experts, we only claim to love our chams and want the best for them as I assume you do as well otherwise you wouldn't be here with us! @Beman is awesome and I'm think g of changing her name to "The Mother of the Veilds"

And just when we think we know everything Bill Strand will update a podcast to keep us on our toes! Thank you for saying those kind words. We don't claim to be vets, or even experts, we only claim to love our chams and want the best for them as I assume you do as well otherwise you wouldn't be here with us! @Beman is awesome and I'm think g of changing her name to "The Mother of the Veilds"
Lol so funny!!! I love it! Winter is here ya know... the last season of game of thrones!!! Eeeekkkkk

Never apologize for trying to learn!

I thought so but I have an issue tracking all the threads I add to. lol Sorry about that. I have a dragonstrand clearside cage. I love it. And as I said no such thing as a stupid question. Questions help us learn. I am still learning every day. I do not think this is a hobby where you ever stop learning honestly. lol. I am Becca by the way. :)
Heyyy Becca. I’m Jacque but everyone calls me Jax! I loooove game of thrones by the way omg!! So excited and depressed for this last season lol and yes I am sure you’re always responding lol but I def value you’re knowledge so don’t stop throwing it this way!!! I LOVE the clear sided cages. So since you’re the veiled mother lol can I ask if it’s a veiled you have in the clear sided and how it works for him/her/them? Lol. Thank you so much for being so friendly and open to helping some people can be super rude lol

Back
Top Bottom