Are these species of plants safe?

Matthew43s

Established Member
I’m planning on adding a few variations of live plants into the enclosure for KP for more coverage so he will feel more at Ease, also need to just fill the enclosure. I have two fluffy ruffle ferns and a mass cane (draceanea) that I’m curious about, all plants have been washed with alcohol and replanted with organic soil that is covered with rocks. Are these two species safe for veileds?

CB21BF71-F619-4F00-8E6C-6C046A3C4C87.jpeg
D78FBB2C-D805-4E02-A7C2-E9D4D8178924.jpeg
AAE3F672-427F-4359-82B3-202EBF845251.jpeg

I know there’s a safe plant list on FL Chams but I can never find a toxic plant list, I can’t see why these two species of plants would be harmful

The corn plant (dracena) is toxic to dogs and cats so I wouldn't use it.

I'm not sure about the fern. I know some ferns you can eat the bus from (called fiddleheads) but I also know ones with sapogenins in are toxic...and I can't tell that by looking. I'll see what I can find.

Does anyone know the Latin name of that fern?

Last edited:
I believe KP was stressing out because he didn’t have enough cover because his pothos died when I ripped out the coconut husk cause he kept eating it so I revamped his enclosure,
image.jpg
image.jpg
Check it out!

They enclosure looks great! You may want to google search just Dracaena toxicity. As Veiled Chameleons are one of the biggest plant consumers in the chameleon world. Other than the Pothos you may want to consider other plants that are fast growing and are palatable to chameleons (flowering hibiscus is one). That is to keep up with the Veiled Chameleons consumption of plant matter and keep a green enclosure.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I've personally used corn plants for years, for both veiled, and panthers. Full disclosure - I've never had a veiled who ate plants, but I would trim down the leaves because they grow like crazy, and have never had an issue with any sap affecting my chams.

I know that raw fiddle heads (young curly shoots) are mildly toxic to humans. A lot of plants that are toxic to one animal are not to another. Dogs and cats can die from eating the Shefferela but chams are fine with it. Dogs shouldnt eat garlic, onion, grapes and a bunch of other things that are OK for us.

I think with a lot of things, No one really knows for 100%. When I first kept veildes 20 years ago, some considered ficus to be somewhat safe because of the sap. Mine never ate the leaves at least not in quantity. However say a veiled was having a stomach problem which drove him to eat leaves, like a dog eats grass... then the cham died. I would assume the leaves killed it.

Though I use other things, Pothos is the only thing that I am 100% sure of because it is time tested and I have seen veildes munching it and were fine.

Last edited:
My veiled loves eating the safe plants he has in his setup which include a pothos, dracena and an umbrella tree. He also loves eating blueberries and strawberries which give him excellent vitamins and helps alot with his health especially heart health.

It seems to be on lll's list too...
https://www.lllreptile.com/articles/2-list-of-nontoxic-plants-for-your-terrarium/

Anybody used either the corn plant it the fern for their veileds?

Also found this list...
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Rep...List-of-Plants-That-Can-Be-Toxic-To-Reptiles/
I know the dracena is safe for chameleons, mine loves it and eats it almost every other day. Just be sure to rinse it good if he deficates / urinate on the leaves. Ive also re potted and replaced all my soil with organic soil covered with golfball sized rocks.

Back
Top Bottom