Are these safe?

wheresstimpy

i just bought these on sale at home depot for cheap and they were marked promo, no label. I think this is umbrella right? and the other is some kind of palm, can i use it for the chams? DSCI0600.jpg

If it does turn out to be toxic, I believe you can return it back to home depot with no hassle. Hibiscus plants are returnable for a whole year I think. But I usually stick to these plants:
Hibiscus, Ficus Benjimina, Umbrella, Corn Plant, and Pothos. There is also a safe plant section on this website that has pics. https://www.chameleonforums.com/plants/ read it carefully though because it also talks about toxic plants.

im not too worried about it, i set my cham on it for a second and even the little girl was too heavy, but it will still look great in my living room:D:D

When people say "corn plant" do you mean the plant that edible corn comes from? If not, what is the Latin name and can you post a photo? If it is what edible corn comes from, what variety do you use and how do you keep it from being too huge for the enclosure?

I think there good rain catchers for chams to drink from. But you would have to set up vines that allow the chams to reach the drinking spots. Also, crickets tend to get trapped in them and drown.

When people say "corn plant" do you mean the plant that edible corn comes from? If not, what is the Latin name and can you post a photo? If it is what edible corn comes from, what variety do you use and how do you keep it from being too huge for the enclosure?

"corn" plant usually refers to a couple types of Dracaena....gotta be careful though as lucky bamboo, which we all no is bad, is also a subspecies of dracaena

check these out, Dracaene Marginata....madagascar dragon tree, they're my favorite but cost a pretty penny.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dracaena+marginata&aq=1&oq=dracae

Last edited:
Some of the Palms I looked at had large thorns on the stems. A little dangerous for my taste.

Not really dangerous for a chameleon.
I have really enjoyed using palms like the dwarf date palm (which has big thorns on it)
Palms are safe, but don't really provide stable climbing branches .. I solved this by weaving grapevine through the upper parts of the plant.
I secured it to stronger parts of the palm and also the screen of the enclosure.
I also like using bougainvilla which is very thorny as well.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom