Are these proper lighting for my adult veiled?

I am embarrassed to say I've been using the daylight blue 100W bulb for my old girl and just found out that is not proper husbandry as well as is harmful for her eyes. I saw it recommended on multiple sources and I really wish I had done more research to find out how bad those are. Im going shopping tomorrow for new lights. Do these sound good?

Heating: Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp 100W. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...Pqpxu0yb0PSoj3jRmvRoCiCAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
UVB: Zoo Meds t5ho 10.0 Linear Fluorescent. https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-repti...wZ4OBxph_tEZ45RHArBh-Day419klvwhoChZcQAvD_BwE

Not sure if it matters but her cage is 4 ft tall. Just want to be sure the UVB and heat reaches her how it needs to from her basking spot. She is estimated to be 4 years old, going on 5 in 2022.

Your uvb needs to be the width of the cage or even longera. So a 24" hood with a 22" bulb will do the trick. the HO 10.0 is what you need in strenth. Also i have a dimmer switch on my basking which i love in the summer. I have a 75 watt basking with perches starting at 5" below. If you are going with the 100 watt you should have perches starting lower maybe 7-8 " always check the temp at the perch location so its not too hot. i keep it at 80.

Also no lights on at sleeptime! I hope your babys eyes are ok i know there is so much misinfo it enough to drive you crazy! So glad you found out.

Hi. If you’re using a T5, your uvb bulb strength should be either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. This will give the ideal UV index at about 8-9” below, which is where you’ll want your basking area to be.
The basking bulb is fine, but depending on the temps of your home, 100w may be too much. You want to use a wattage that will give a temp of 80f at your basking area.

NO. This is a spot light, which can produce hotspots and burns. We want temperature gradients, better produced by incandescent household bulbs, flood lights, and/or halogen.

A T6 HO 5.0 or 6% is more appropriate for a chameleon.

Not sure if it matters but her cage is 4 ft tall. Just want to be sure the UVB and heat reaches her how it needs to from her basking spot. She is estimated to be 4 years old, going on 5 in 2022.
She'll do her basking near the top of the enclosure, and she'll try to do it under the brightest light (usually the plant lights). You may have to angle one or more of the lights to provide gradients in both temperature and UVB.
1640891273537.png

UVB may also have to be angled to shine on the target basking zone.

Back
Top Bottom