Are these hornworms too big to feed Spaz?

PrincessSpaz

Established Member
Ran by the pet store to see if they had any hornworms for Boo boo (it's hit or miss on hornworms there) and the assistant manager told me he had several cups with big worms they'd just gotten (I'm in Virginia and it's been hot here)
I bought 6 cups (they only had 1 or 2 worms in each cup) but didn't realize how big the hornworms actually were until I got home and went to give her one. There are a couple that are larger than the one pictured. Are these too big for her? Recent pic of my girl from about 2 weeks ago, she's 1 year 2 months in age

Attachments

• 20220714_120200.jpg
    20220714_120200.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220628_110751.jpg
    20220628_110751.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 85
Hello. I feel the same way about the hornworms at the pet store. They're either not in stock, mostly dead, or you get lucky and find some. They carry the perfect portion of 1 or 2. Reptile shops have large portions of 20 which is just too much for 1 chameleon. Half always get too big before being able to be fed off. There is always the fear of choking our Scaled critters. I believe as long as the worm's girth is not bigger than the width between the cham's eyes you should be okay.

Personally I would not feed a hornworm that size... There is a risk with large hornworms. Their mandibles are much larger and their skin is tougher to pierce. The risk here is either the cham getting bitten on the mouth and this can lead to mouth rot. Or the cham struggles to get the hornworm down and throws it back up.

Smaller is always better with feeders especially hornworms. Just because a cham is an adult it does not mean that feeding a large feeder is.

Personally I would not feed a hornworm that size... There is a risk with large hornworms. Their mandibles are much larger and their skin is tougher to pierce. The risk here is either the cham getting bitten on the mouth and this can lead to mouth rot. Or the cham struggles to get the hornworm down and throws it back up.

Smaller is always better with feeders especially hornworms. Just because a cham is an adult it does not mean that feeding a large feeder is.
That's what I was afraid of happening ... there were maybe 2 that I would feel comfortable giving her and the rest are, in my opinion, too big for her. I've got some birds that hang around the front of the house that would probably love them 😊

That's what I was afraid of happening ... there were maybe 2 that I would feel comfortable giving her and the rest are, in my opinion, too big for her. I've got some birds that hang around the front of the house that would probably love them 😊
The first time you get bitten by a hornworm that large you will understand what I mean. They hurt like hell... And if they feel like they are getting attacked they bite. I have been bitten 2 times by ones I was raising up to cocoon. No bueno lol

I hope one day to be as brave as you and handle the bugs with my bare hands :oops:
I remember my dad used to snip off the hornworm's mandibles with small scissors before feeding to his tree frog and cham.

I would keep them in the container, at a warm place i.e. on the enclosure and let them cocoon to moths, that your little will really like. Within 4 weeks you got moths. Doing this same way with wax worms.

I would keep them in the container, at a warm place i.e. on the enclosure and let them cocoon to moths, that your little will really like. Within 4 weeks you got moths. Doing this same way with wax worms.
I believe they need to be able to dig themselves in soil in order to cocoon…at least I put mine in soil and that’s what they did.

Back
Top Bottom