Are these 2 plants safe?

Shaner

Hey all,

I am looking to see if these 2 plants are safe for my Cham.

One is called the Burgandy Ficus and the other is called a Crotton.

The Crotton is the one with the yellows and reds in it.

Can someone help me out here??

Attachments

• Burgandy Ficus.jpg
    Burgandy Ficus.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 181
  • Crotton.jpg
    Crotton.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 175
the ficus looks like the ficus elastica or rubber plant, I've seen both used on a euro forum but with panthers rather than known plant eaters, I think. The main threat being the sap they excrete at wounded spots which could hurt the eyes. I would have no problem using them if just for looks and you know your cham doesn't take bites out of leaves. They won't provide much to solidly climb on if you're looking to use them as main plants, but I doubt that's the case.

I have used the croton successfully in my cages. The only problems I have noticed is that they require moderate to bright light, so they can't be lost in the jungle;) The Ficus Elastica I have also tried but due to the sap, that was previously mentioned, I have been weary about having it around any of my animals.
I would strongly recommend the Schefflera and the Pothos vine, as they are both great for chams!

That is good to know, Thank you.

So the burgandy one I will avoid due to the sap, and the Croton.....I will just avoid.

The ficus we have here are very small and you have to grow them yourself....that will take forever. I will have to check home depot as everything at Walmart was too small.

Is there anywhere else I can look in Canada? And any other plant suggestions from anyone would be great....except Hibiscus, they get too big for the cage I have.

That is good to know, Thank you.

So the burgandy one I will avoid due to the sap, and the Croton.....I will just avoid.

The ficus we have here are very small and you have to grow them yourself....that will take forever. I will have to check home depot as everything at Walmart was too small.

Is there anywhere else I can look in Canada? And any other plant suggestions from anyone would be great....except Hibiscus, they get too big for the cage I have.

hibiscus :D
actually, can't you prune the vines to fit your cage?
It is, imho, an absolutely lovely plant.
strong vine, big leaves, gorgeous flower, and best of all everything is edible.

The flower has a dash of vit C if your chameleon is a leaf muncher.
Have you tried japanese maple and schefflera arboricola/ dwarf umbrella tree?

Actually this will be my first time using real plants....so I would like to get ones that are LOW MAINTENACE...I am not how you say "one with the green thumb" if you know what I mean.

The good thing is the drip system run off will go into the soil so none of the water will be wasted :D

I want to do things right, but I also want a bit of colour if that is possible with the plants that are safe.

Are there rona stores near you? Where I am, I've yet to find a home depot that has an actual greenhouse, and there are quite a few home depots around me. They only seem to have little craptastic in store plant sections which have no selection. Rona and reno-depot (not sure if they have stores outside quebec though) on the other hand have some nice big greenhouses full of interesting stuff.

just checking on plants list

hello
I was looking through this thread and seen where there was a link to this web site http://www.chameleonsonline.com/safe-plants.php, I was wondering if all these plants were safe for a veiled chameleon? I have my custom cage being finished tonight and want to do this one completely with live plants so any info would help me out greatly.
thanks

Back
Top Bottom