Are there heat tolerant feeders?

ZEROPILOT

Avid Member
I've been feeding crickets, superworms and hornworms to my Veileds and now Panther Chameleons.
Problem is that I must keep them inside my house. Because I live in south Florida and in the summer months it can get into the 90s in my garage.
I'd like to branch out into keeping DISCOID roaches.
But my wife forbids me from keeping them in the house. In fact, she'd like me to get rid of ALL OF THEM.
The question is, can Discoid handle the heat of my garage?
What about any other feeders?
I'd heard that the BANDED crickets can stand a bit more heat.
Any thoughts are appreciated

Roaches are notorious for surviving all kinds of temperatures.

"Discoid roaches like it hot! Especially when they are breeding. Most experts suggest keeping the breeding container at around 90 degrees Fahrenheit! The roaches can handle temperatures as low as 75 degrees, but their growth and reproduction will be slowed. To maximize their growth and reproduction, temperatures between 90-100 degrees have been shown to work best."
From: https://critterfam.com/forums/topic... and Humidity,and reproduction will be slowed.

I've been feeding crickets, superworms and hornworms to my Veileds and now Panther Chameleons.
Problem is that I must keep them inside my house. Because I live in south Florida and in the summer months it can get into the 90s in my garage.
I'd like to branch out into keeping DISCOID roaches.
But my wife forbids me from keeping them in the house. In fact, she'd like me to get rid of ALL OF THEM.
The question is, can Discoid handle the heat of my garage?
What about any other feeders?
I'd heard that the BANDED crickets can stand a bit more heat.
Any thoughts are appreciated
Do houses in FL still have crawlspaces underneath? I would think that would be cooler than the garage. 🤷‍♂️ Northern access would be best if possible; that side of the house should never be in direct sunlight.

I’m in central Fl & I keep my discoids in the garage. No problems last summer...they were obviously happy with the heat and made lots of babies. As it’s been in the chilly 40’s & 50’s here at night, I have a heat mat on the sides of each roach bin. They are still making babies so it must be warm enough for them.

Most roaches absolutely love heat, they just need water+food. Discoids can handle high temps. They can survive down to the 50s or so, but may not do well if it's for long periods of time. A good option for you may be horseshoe crab roaches, good breeders, can't climb, hardy, FL legal and a plus of them is they breed well even with temps around room temperature(unlike most other species). So they'll love the heat, but also do fine in the 60s-70s.

Do houses in FL still have crawlspaces underneath? I would think that would be cooler than the garage. 🤷‍♂️ Northern access would be best if possible; that side of the house should never be in direct sunlight.
No
Mine is a cement block house on a cement slab

Most roaches absolutely love heat, they just need water+food. Discoids can handle high temps. They can survive down to the 50s or so, but may not do well if it's for long periods of time. A good option for you may be horseshoe crab roaches, good breeders, can't climb, hardy, FL legal and a plus of them is they breed well even with temps around room temperature(unlike most other species). So they'll love the heat, but also do fine in the 60s-70s.
I'll google them
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom