Are teflon fumes toxic to chameleons?

werecat

Established Member
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone knows if teflon fumes (from cookware) are toxic to chameleons. I know they are toxic to birds and it is often recommended to get rid of any teflon and non-stick pans if you are planning to get a bird. I have not found any mention of this in my chameleon research but does anyone know if this is an issue for chameleons?

Just trying to determine cage placement in my home. The area I'm considering is about 10-15 ft from the kitchen area.

Not sure . Don't think anyone has reported any problems with it, but maybe no one keeps them by th kitchen. You can still use Teflon - the dangerous fumes are only when the pan gets hotter than it should, usually when it's empty. So if you're careful not to overheat the pan you should be safe I think.

Not sure . Don't think anyone has reported any problems with it, but maybe no one keeps them by th kitchen. You can still use Teflon - the dangerous fumes are only when the pan gets hotter than it should, usually when it's empty. So if you're careful not to overheat the pan you should be safe I think.

I treat my chams as I would birds. They have a lot of similarities. Dangerous Teflon fumes form if the coating burns. Depending on the brand and type, you are usually OK if the pan doesn't get hotter than 450 (conservative just to be safe). Normal use of the pan that does not exceed the manufacturer's instructions isn't a problem, but I don't keep any caged pets in my kitchen and I use the exhaust fan every time I use synthetic coated pans.

Back
Top Bottom