Are Succulents Safe For Veiled Chameleons??

RECK7ESS

Are the mini succulents sold at Wal-Mart safe to be in my veileds enclosure? Just trying to make it lively and natural....
I'm adding a pic of the succulents but Im unsure what kind they are. I do understand I have to replace the soil and that they dont do well with humidity. Just want to know if its safe to be in his cage. Also any input on how i should set his cage up or add etc please let me know. Adding a pic of what I have. I dont know a whole lot. Did care for a Jacksons Cham for couple years, yet it died. I mist really really good three times daily. Use uvb and day bulb 12 hours about. 6am I mist heavy turn on day bulb.. Add crickets at 6thirty as well as turn on uvb. At noon i light mist and feed again. At 3 heavy mist. Maybe mealworms as snack every couple days. Hes very active moves around alot. Eats alot. And very aggressive. Which isn fine. Got him about a month ago. His name is reptar
Got him from local pet shop unsure of how old but hes still growing thats for sure lol. Again any input helps.

Attachments

• 15820619224582300160299199751880.jpg
    15820619224582300160299199751880.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 131
  • 15820622717734230114143239461357.jpg
    15820622717734230114143239461357.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 15820622875231566894734141311355.jpg
    15820622875231566894734141311355.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 177
I haven't tried any of these so I can't be 100% sure...
https://www.sublimesucculents.com/11-succulents-safe-for-reptiles/

If you answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum we can check out your husbandry.

Veiled Chameleon, male, not sure on age was told juvenile. Been in my care going on 4 weeks.
I rarely handle him because I have noted they dont like it and hes a biter. I dont want to stress him. I want him as comfortable as possible. I do once or twice a week kinda trick him into my hands and place him on yucca cane tree while I clean his cage.
I feed him about 2 dozen sometimes more crickets daily. Gutloaded yes and dusted with calcium everyday and once to twice a week with vitamins. Also every couple days I give him 2 mealworms which he goes nuts for.
The calcium I use is repticalcium and zoomeds reptivite vitamins.
I dont really notice him drinking but he sheds fine. Also I believe ive caught him licking water from his nose. I mist heavy 3 times daily add twice very lightly. He has a plabt dripper and bowl. I do use reptisafe conditioner for mist and dripper.
He poops alot anywhere at that lol. Whitish to these brown poop nuggets.
I use a cage the reptibreeze cage that comes with the starter kit. It came with a uvb bulb and 60watt day bulb. And thermometer. I use both bulbs 12 hours. No lighting at night.
About 72 at bottom of cage 87 to 90 at hottest point. 60 to 70 percent humidity.
No live plants yet.fale vines etc. Eco earth as bottom covering green grass felt.
There is circulation fan in room but not above him. No known drafts. I live in southern illinois.

Veiled Chameleon, male, not sure on age was told juvenile. Been in my care going on 4 weeks.
I rarely handle him because I have noted they dont like it and hes a biter. I dont want to stress him. I want him as comfortable as possible. I do once or twice a week kinda trick him into my hands and place him on yucca cane tree while I clean his cage.
I feed him about 2 dozen sometimes more crickets daily. Gutloaded yes and dusted with calcium everyday and once to twice a week with vitamins. Also every couple days I give him 2 mealworms which he goes nuts for.
no mealworms and feed only about a dozen crickets a day. When a year of age, cut back to 8 every other day. What is your gut load?
The calcium I use is repticalcium and zoomeds reptivite vitamins.
use calcium with no d3 every day, vitamins twice a month, and d3 once a month. You could also get repashy plus lod for everyday.
I dont really notice him drinking but he sheds fine. Also I believe ive caught him licking water from his nose. I mist heavy 3 times daily add twice very lightly. He has a plabt dripper and bowl. I do use reptisafe conditioner for mist and dripper.
remove the bowl, as it harbors bacteria.
He poops alot anywhere at that lol. Whitish to these brown poop nuggets.
I use a cage the reptibreeze cage that comes with the starter kit. It came with a uvb bulb and 60watt day bulb. And thermometer. I use both bulbs 12 hours. No lighting at night.
Get rid of the coil uvb light. They are useless and need to be replaced with a t5ho linear bulb as to prevent MBD.
Also upgrade to a 24x24x48, as the started cage is not for juvinile or adult chameleons.

About 72 at bottom of cage 87 to 90 at hottest point. 60 to 70 percent humidity.
No live plants yet.fale vines etc. Eco earth as bottom covering green grass felt.
remove substrate. It harbors bacteria
There is circulation fan in room but not above him. No known drafts. I live in southern illinois.
edits are in red

With a male veiled, you can feed him as much as he will eat in a couple of minutes at each feeding until he is at least 6 months old. I would then cut him back to feeding him every second day and by the time he's an adult cut him back to 6 or 8 crickets (or equivalent amount of various insects) and judge by his weight to see if it's right.

I would make sure all plants are live/real and well washed, both sides of the leaves since veileds are known to munch on vegetation.

Also the bowl is for the dripper but I do clean and replace the water daily. Is that okay?
unfortunately not. I would recommend a drainage tray on the bottom, so the water collects it a selected place for easy removal.

unfortunately not. I would recommend a drainage tray on the bottom, so the water collects it a selected place for easy removal.
Just curious as to why it would harbor bacteria? I trust your knowledge this I do... However I do trust others. But of course this is why I'm here lol. The plant dripper requires a bowl. Cuz it uses a motor thing lol. Filters it and pumps up to the plant. Then plant drips and recycles thru. I just dont understand how moving water would harbor so much bacteria. What ur suggesting is pretty much abandon that expensive dripper. What would be a better dripper or set up? Price doesnt really matter I just want to get this right and give him as natural and safe a life I can.

Back
Top Bottom