are naps normal for babies?

I wouldn't use the repcal with D3 so much. Repcal with D3 has massive amounts of D3 in it. It has approx 100x the amount in minerall indoor. I wouldn't use repcal more than 2 times a month. Minerall indoors could be used much more often without any problems.

I wouldn't use the repcal with D3 so much. Repcal with D3 has massive amounts of D3 in it. It has approx 100x the amount in minerall indoor. I wouldn't use repcal more than 2 times a month. Minerall indoors could be used much more often without any problems.

What's your opinion of the basking temp Kara? What do you have you babies at?

What's your opinion of the basking temp Kara? What do you have you babies at?

I agree with Flux. Veiled or panther. Mother nature doesnt lower her temperature just because there are baby chameleons around;) As long as he has plenty of places to go and cool down he should be fine. About closing his eyes, not sure, could be lots of different things. If I remember correctly you got a skinny male? Has he eaten or drank anything?

My apologies- don't know why but I thought the thread was about veileds. LOL:eek:

Panthers still- Not as many as veileds, but I still raised hundreds of those also with basking temps just like adults- around 90, background temps same as veileds. It isn't going to cause them to close their eyes unless they become dehydrated.

I agree with Flux. Veiled or panther. Mother nature doesnt lower her temperature just because there are baby chameleons around;) As long as he has plenty of places to go and cool down he should be fine. About closing his eyes, not sure, could be lots of different things. If I remember correctly you got a skinny male? Has he eaten or drank anything?

I agree - she might now lower her temperatures for the poor baby chameleons - but she does put the different types of baby chameleons in different places ;)

Well, babies can thermoregulate just as well as adults. Most people don't take into consideration the fact that they usually have their basking bulbs right on top of the cage. Babies like to climb on the tops of cages. That's a recipe for fried chameleon right there. Especially because the chameleons dont feel pain the same way from being burnt or something. They just sit there and cook. If you raise the bulb so that the animal cannot get burned it should be fine. Nature may not lower the temps, but it sure doesn't burn the babies like that.

I never had a baby that fried at these temps and I had lots of babies (once again thousands covering in chameleons a fairly decent range of species- I'm not speaking from the standpoint of being lucky once or twice on this one). I've seen tiny babies climb up to the screen and quickly hotfoot it across where the reflector for the basking light is. I don't think you give them enough credit if they are healthy, they do thermo regulate properly...

Regardless- lower the temps by all means if it makes the baby safer- I have no quarrel with that (and in spite of my experience I think it is good advice- always safer better than sorry). But unless the baby in question is dehydrated because the temp has been combined with inadequate watering, the temp isn't the reason behind the naps and probably will not solve the problem here...

Last edited:
I agree. some people may believe that 90 is too high but its still not why the cham is closing its eyes, giiven, its been drinking.

It could be a suppliment problem. I use a suppliment schedule that most wouldnt agree with but works for me so I wont comment. All I will say is that if your not using a multivitamin with preformed vitamin a, back way off on the d3.

I could of missed something but is your 5.0 compact or linear moviemanmania?

UPDATE: He isn't sleeping anymore during the day. (Thank god!) He's actively trying to hunt in his cup. I noticed today that he isn't catching the crickets with his tongue fully extended. I would say his tongue is only extending out about 1/4 of the length it should be. He seems slow to catch prey and is often missing... This is disheartening to learn this today and now I'm concerned about other hidden issues he may have. Any advice on what to do next or what could be the cause of his inability to throw his tongue all the way out?

Is he unable or does he not have to? If they can get close enough to not fully extend their tounges, they won't. This is why I prefer to free range my feeders. If it is in fact a tongue issue, I unfortunately can't help you.

Tongue issues are sometimes related to supplementation.

Search the forums- someone or other has a tongue problem like this pretty regularly.

Back
Top Bottom