are naps normal for babies?

My 3.5 month old panther is taking naps in the afternoon. Is this normal or should I be alarmed? Temps, humidity, and everything are right on the line...

My 3.5 month old panther is taking naps in the afternoon. Is this normal or should I be alarmed? Temps, humidity, and everything are right on the line...

Naps are not normal at all. Chameleons shouldn't be sleeping during the day. hopefully someone else on here will be able to help you further.

Fill in the "how to ask for help" form below and someone will be able to help!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Naps are not normal especially for a 3.5 month old. Have you been able to get him to drink? There are a lot of reasons for a cham closing its eyes but lighting is the most obvious thing to check. Are you using a reptisun 5.0 UVB? Basking temps should not be much over 80F max. If they get too hot they will start closing their eyes.

Naps are not normal especially for a 3.5 month old. Have you been able to get him to drink? There are a lot of reasons for a cham closing its eyes but lighting is the most obvious thing to check. Are you using a reptisun 5.0 UVB? Basking temps should not be much over 80F max. If they get too hot they will start closing their eyes.

I have read many arguments that they say 80 is too low and that the high temp/basking area should be 90 max, which is where my set up is at. He's eating and drinking fine. 5.0 uvb and supplements all are perfect.

I have read many arguments that they say 80 is too low and that the high temp/basking area should be 90 max, which is where my set up is at. He's eating and drinking fine. 5.0 uvb and supplements all are perfect.

Your temperatures are far too high - can you fill out the rest of the "how to ask for help" form?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - nosey be panther chameleon. he arrived tuesday.
Handling - i do not handel hi
Feeding - eating about 15 .25" gut loaded and supplement dusted crickets
Supplements - repcal with and without d3
Watering - drinking multiple times daily. he's hydrated just fine. drinking fine.
Fecal Description - blk and white, looks perfect
History - about 3months old
Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen cage
Lighting - exoterra 5.0uvb and basking spot
Temperature - basking is 90 to 72 at the bottom or cage. night temps are mid 60s
Humidity - humidifier in room provides 40-80% humidity
Plants - fake plants for now
Placement - room is heated or cooled to 72 in daytime, nighttime falls to mid 60s.
Location - louisiana

Current Problem - i catch him sleeping in the afternoon, a nap it seems

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - nosey be panther chameleon. he arrived tuesday.
Handling - i do not handel hi
Feeding - eating about 15 .25" gut loaded and supplement dusted crickets
Supplements - repcal with and without d3
Watering - drinking multiple times daily. he's hydrated just fine. drinking fine.
Fecal Description - blk and white, looks perfect
History - about 3months old
Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen cage
Lighting - exoterra 5.0uvb and basking spot
Temperature - basking is 90 to 72 at the bottom or cage. night temps are mid 60s
Humidity - humidifier in room provides 40-80% humidity
Plants - fake plants for now
Placement - room is heated or cooled to 72 in daytime, nighttime falls to mid 60s.
Location - louisiana

Current Problem - i catch him sleeping in the afternoon, a nap it seems

What basking bulb are you using? Your basking temp is too high, maybe a lower wattage lamp is needed. Also, how often are you dusting your feeders which each supplement, and what are you gutloading with?

What basking bulb are you using? Your basking temp is too high, maybe a lower wattage lamp is needed. Also, how often are you dusting your feeders which each supplement, and what are you gut-loading with?

Basking watt is 75 zoo med bulb. I just backed off the intensity which brings basking to from 90 to 88 now.

This is my supplement schedule:
monday - no dusting just insects
tues-rep cal with d3
wed - mineral-o
thurs-herptivite multi
fri-repcal no d3
sat-mineral-o

This is the supplement schedule i got off blue beast reptiles website

Gut-loading crickets with fresh apple, carrots, commercial dry gut-load, and collard greens.

I just got him tuesday, so could he be still adjusting and/or just going to sleep early? Right now he is getting up at 6.00am and lights out at 5.30. I usually see him sleeping at 2.30-3.00pm

90 is OK for an adult but a 3.5 month old will not do well with that temp.

88F is still too high, you need to be looking at around 78-80F as at that age, they can't thermoregulate as an older cham can

90 is OK for an adult but a 3.5 month old will not do well with that temp.

wow. I was just reading an thread the other night on that argument. Some well respected members insisted 90 on a basking spot even for 3.5months. I have raised a baby vield on 90 basking and everything turned out beautiful. I lowered it now to 82. Anything else you think it might be?

my new cham from LLL was closing eyes once or twice today i was noticing just for quick moment though, so I changed out my exo terra 5.0 UVB 26 watt "compact" I had over him to a reptisun 18 inch 5.0 linear . He hasnt closed eye since I changed. I removed Sun Glo basking as well though to regular white 60 watt house bulb for basking and reptisun 5.0. I dont know if that has absolutely anything to do with why mine was closing eyes or yours but Im not waiting around to find out. Also Im trying to keep my basking temps around 80 F for my baby but its gets up to 83 in Mid day with all heat from everything in my house.

First thing I would check for a chameleon that age is his supplementation.

I disagree about temperature- I raised hundreds and hundreds (several thousand at least) of baby veileds in the 1990s to 3 months of age and kept their temperatures just like adults (at that time basking temps 90-100 degrees, background day temp upper 60s to low 80s depending on time of year).

I realise my basking temps are a little "dated" perhaps for longevity of this species according to results some people have had with lower temps nowadays, but basking temps of 80 or 90 are not going to cause eye problems or closing, unless extremely inadequate provision of water is given. If it does, I certainly never saw it...

Personally- for a 3.5 month old, if eyes are closed my first guess would be inadequate supplementation or the lighting...

First thing I would check for a chameleon that age is his supplementation.

I disagree about temperature- I raised hundreds and hundreds (several thousand at least) of baby veileds in the 1990s to 3 months of age and kept their temperatures just like adults (at that time basking temps 90-100 degrees, background day temp upper 60s to low 80s depending on time of year).

I realise my basking temps are a little "dated" perhaps for longevity of this species according to results some people have had with lower temps nowadays, but basking temps of 80 or 90 are not going to cause eye problems or closing, unless extremely inadequate provision of water is given. If it does, I certainly never saw it...

Personally- for a 3.5 month old, if eyes are closed my first guess would be inadequate supplementation or the lighting...

this is a panther chameleon:) not a veiled...but they do have similar husbandry, eh, whatever :p

Back
Top Bottom