Are grubs acceptable?

Andie

Avid Member
Hello, All.

I live in the N.E. and I have a terrible grub problem in my yard. They feed on rotting roots of dead trees, as well as grass roots & my tomato plants!

I usually feed them to my chickens when I dig them up in the garden, but I was wondering if anyone has ever fed them to their chameleons.

I'm figuring by next spring, my cham babies will be large enough to handle them. They get huge, plump and disgusting! :eek:

Grubs are rich in protein & fat, and are even eaten by some survivalists. They are ok as an occasional treat, but might not be the best staple feeder. The thing you want to watch out for is that they are collected from a fertilizer-free area.

I don't know if this comes into to play here but I've read that Tomatoes aren't the best thing for your Cham. Something about it being high in Oxalates which inhibits calcium absorption. I'm not sure if that counts for the plant after a grub eats it as well. I've also read that the leaves and or vines might be toxic? Not sure but maybe you should find out for sure.

They only eat the roots of the tomato plants.
In fact, this year I decided to grow all my tomato plants in pots so it should be fine. I never use pesticides or anything like that.

Thanks everyone!

If there is any chance that they're feeding from a tomato plant, don't chance it. Could be fatal to your cham.

They only eat the roots of the tomato plants.
In fact, this year I decided to grow all my tomato plants in pots so it should be fine. I never use pesticides or anything like that.

Thanks everyone!

tomato plants are toxic regardless what you use.

Back
Top Bottom