Are crickets a must...

Maybe I wrote the question wrong. My concern is ordering crickets, roaches, and worms in the winter. With the cold weather will companies still have a hard time shipping them out.

Maybe I wrote the question wrong. My concern is ordering crickets, roaches, and worms in the winter. With the cold weather will companies still have a hard time shipping them out.

Some will use heat pack but even still when it gets too cold it can still kill them. Dubias are super easy to breed and care for. Get one nice order and never get them again. I started with 30 females and 10 males and now I have way more then I could ever need.

Good to know! I tried feeding my guy roaches for the first time a few days ago and now he turns his nose up at the crickets. I've created a monster! I will try the silk worms and roaches and see how that goes. He keeps circling the enclosure and stopping at the feeding cup to see if there are any more roaches...good for exercise I suppose.

I've had them shipped from Toronto to BC in winter. But I had to be careful about timing and use of heat packs and I worked with sellers that had guarantees. Usually everything went FINE. especially with crickets (I never shipped roaches but I expect they would do fine). Larva sometimes a bit more touchy.

I recommend that you never rely entirely on shipped in bugs. Its best to have at least one, preferably several, feeders that you breed. This ensures no matter if there is a postal strike or a terrible storm or whatever that you will always have something on hand.

....He keeps circling the enclosure and stopping at the feeding cup to see if there are any more roaches...good for exercise I suppose.

hilarious!
Eventually the roaches will likely become less exciting /novel and he'll return to accepting crickets. Its good to have at least 5 feeders in the rotation

Thanks for the Ghan's link as well as the blog about feeders, that's SO helpful.

I know this sounds like a stupid question...but how come superworms over mealworms? I thought I'd read something about mealworms being more difficult to digest, but I just started up this huge colony, and now I'm worried I can't feed them out if they are too hard to digest. I've always avoided superworms because they bite and all, every reptile/amphibian i've had in the past has been unable to deal with the superworms, other than my varnaids.

Back
Top Bottom