Are Calci Worms ok to feed to my chameleon?

Frostlord

I have been trying to look up information but there doesnt seem to be much around.

Does anyone know if Calci worms are ok to feed to my baby veiled chameleon?

I would get them in as small an amount as you can first just to be sure that your cham likes them. I could never get my veiled cham to eat them, which is unfortunate since they have great calcium content.

Also be sure to open the container outdoors if you notice any getting dark. They turn into black soldier flies, which you obviously don't want flying around in your house. :p If one gets out though, just so you know it is harmless even though it looks like a wasp. They only live around a week once they're in that form, I think.

They also go by phoenix worms, reptiworms, and BSF larvae. They are very good for your cham. I've heard that most chams ignore them due to their small size, but my guy absolutely loves them. He's approximately 11 months old now.

I would get them in as small an amount as you can first just to be sure that your cham likes them. I could never get my veiled cham to eat them, which is unfortunate since they have great calcium content.

Also be sure to open the container outdoors if you notice any getting dark. They turn into black soldier flies, which you obviously don't want flying around in your house. :p If one gets out though, just so you know it is harmless even though it looks like a wasp. They only live around a week once they're in that form, I think.

I bought a container of them and luckily my chams likes them. Eats them up eveytime. So I guess I got lucky with that.
Mine is still a baby so he didnt have any problem spotting them

They also go by phoenix worms, reptiworms, and BSF larvae. They are very good for your cham. I've heard that most chams ignore them due to their small size, but my guy absolutely loves them. He's approximately 11 months old now.

Ohhh I didnt know that they were also called phoenix worms thats why I couldnt find any info.
But my little guy seems to love them as well.

There is no problem ordering too many if your cham doesn't like the larvae because you can just let them turn into flies. Depending on the size of the larvae, you might want to consider feeding them but be really careful because they make quite a mess and smell if you just throw a lot of vegetables into the container. They can turn vegetables into fantastic compost in no time. I've been putting larvae from my compost bin into containers with a couple of inches of coco fiber and feeding them vegetable scraps. When they hatch into flies I feed them off.

They are a fairly large, slow moving fly that looks like a black wasp. They are very easy to catch if they escape but they do die if you don't catch them.

I have hand fed the larvae but I usually let them turn into flies. Chameleons just get so excited for a fly.

Just make sure the container you have has a really good seal because they will climb the walls and escape when they are about to pupate. I once had hundreds escape all over my house. There were larvae in my laundry room on the other side of the house. Hundreds of larvae..... My family was not amused.

Ohhh I didnt know that they were also called phoenix worms thats why I couldnt find any info.
But my little guy seems to love them as well.

They are black soldier flies. The "Phoenix," "Calciworm" and "Reptiworms" are just trade names for the ordinary black soldier fly larvae you can find for free in your compost pile in most parts of the US. If you have black soldier fly larvae in your composter, you can get pounds of them if you give them enough fresh fruit and vegetables.

They are black soldier flies. The "Phoenix," "Calciworm" and "Reptiworms" are just trade names for the ordinary black soldier fly larvae you can find for free in your compost pile in most parts of the US. If you have black soldier fly larvae in your composter, you can get pounds of them if you give them enough fresh fruit and vegetables.

glad I know that, makes it easier for meet to look them up.

Also I was wondering if you know if I can feed them to my chameleon if I run out of crickets?
Or should I only give them to him in moderation?

glad I know that, makes it easier for meet to look them up.

Also I was wondering if you know if I can feed them to my chameleon if I run out of crickets?
Or should I only give them to him in moderation?

Watch your chams. Like superworms, the flies can become very addictive.:mad:

Calici worms, phoenix worms, reptiworms all the same and all very good for the cham. I order them by the hundred. I put them in a small critter keeper with fruit or other veggies and let them have at it. I have grown them to be almost an inch in length. They cannot climb smooth sided containers unless they get wet. Then it is like magic, they crawl right up and out of the containers. I have let some turn into flies just to give my chams a variety and to let them hunt down a bug. They have no mouth parts so don't eat therefore cannot be gutloaded. They do look like wasps and are very easy to catch. They seem to be attracted to lights and to my TV screen.

I used to raise Black soldier flies, and even though they're not supposed to have mouth parts and I never saw any eat anything, the flies would go to drops of water and stick their face in it. They must have some way to imbibe moisture. Anybody else notice this?

I just bought a little thing of calci worms at petco and opened it up and it was full of soldier flies. Good times.

Kay,

Same thing happened to me. :eek: I was lucky enough to open the cup in the enclosure. The BSF flew up to the top, but then disappeared into the ficus. Now, I'm hesitant to open the big door. I'll try again this Tues. when their new shipment of bugs comes in. Hopefully, I'll get a fresh cup with the worms/ grubs in it.

Calici worms, phoenix worms, reptiworms all the same and all very good for the cham. I order them by the hundred. I put them in a small critter keeper with fruit or other veggies and let them have at it. I have grown them to be almost an inch in length. They cannot climb smooth sided containers unless they get wet. Then it is like magic, they crawl right up and out of the containers. I have let some turn into flies just to give my chams a variety and to let them hunt down a bug. They have no mouth parts so don't eat therefore cannot be gutloaded. They do look like wasps and are very easy to catch. They seem to be attracted to lights and to my TV screen.

Thats a good idea. I should start putting some veggies in there as well.

How do you get them to turn into fly's?

I used to raise Black soldier flies, and even though they're not supposed to have mouth parts and I never saw any eat anything, the flies would go to drops of water and stick their face in it. They must have some way to imbibe moisture. Anybody else notice this?

:D LOL

Do keepers typically dust phoenix worms, or is their calcium content already high enough? Just trying to get back up to speed before I get my panther. :)

Back
Top Bottom