Arcadia UVB Light thoughts please

My linear tube exo terra 5.0 uvb light needs to be changed as is reaching the 6 month period...

what are your opinions on a good uvb light?

I have heard a lot of good things about the Arcadia lights ..can I please get your feedback about these please ...

also what are your thoughts about compact uvb lights ?
I heard that they can cause eye damage but have also heard that they improved them lately and are relatively safe...true or not ?

An arcadia t5 ho is good because it last 12-18 months vs 6-8 months for t8 exotera/zoomed stuff.

I avoid cfls just due to the spread, most of the light gets bounce off all the spirals and reflector so most direct light never makes it to the cham. There should be any eye problems unless you have a 3 year old or older bulb, and those should have been recalled by now anyway. If you are going with cfl i would go with a 5.0/6, if going with a linear, go with a 10.0/8, If you are going with arcaida get a 6% unless its a cage over 5ft or you have a meter.

An arcadia t5 ho is good because it last 12-18 months vs 6-8 months for t8 exotera/zoomed stuff.

I avoid cfls just due to the spread, most of the light gets bounce off all the spirals and reflector so most direct light never makes it to the cham. There should be any eye problems unless you have a 3 year old or older bulb, and those should have been recalled by now anyway. If you are going with cfl i would go with a 5.0/6, if going with a linear, go with a 10.0/8, If you are going with arcaida get a 6% unless its a cage over 5ft or you have a meter.

Thanks for the info. So you are saying that I should get a 5.0 if compact and 10.0 if linear ? I always thought that chams do not need more than 5.0 in any case > please correct me if i`m wrong (the top is not fine mesh it is netting with larger squares then the mesh)

Would you be so kind to post the links to Arcadia compact and linear please (adabtable be it 5.0 or 10.0) it is for my Kinyongia Multi ...I am from Malta and did not find a supplier on ebay who ships here..

The arcadia bulbs are the best out there. Many people are switching to their new T5 uv bulbs which last a good 12 months if not more and give out lots more light and uv compared to the exo terra and zoo med bulbs.

Personally I hate CFl bulbs with a passion! I wouldnt use them at all. Eye problems are cropping up yet again with new bulbs that are supposedly 'fixed' now. I personally so not see any reason to use them.

The arcadia T5 6% gives out more uv than a standard 10.0 T8 from exo terra or zoo med.

I would go for a 10.0 linear if you go for a zoo med or exo terra bulb or the 6% T5 arcadia if you go for T5 bulbs. They require a HO electronic ballast though.

Thanks for the info. So you are saying that I should get a 5.0 if compact and 10.0 if linear ? I always thought that chams do not need more than 5.0 in any case > please correct me if i`m wrong (the top is not fine mesh it is netting with larger squares then the mesh)

Would you be so kind to post the links to Arcadia compact and linear please (adabtable be it 5.0 or 10.0) it is for my Kinyongia Multi ...I am from Malta and did not find a supplier on ebay who ships here..

Dont think about it as 5.0 or 10.0. Think about it in terms of radiation. a 10.0 linear will spread the radiation across the whole tank with no hot spot. a 2" section of the 24 watt 24" bulb does not have a hot spot. No imagine the cfl with 20 watts inside of a 2" area, its alot more concentrated. Also linears penetrate the cage farther because 1/3 of the light is directed strait down.

Also for the 10.0 is bad for chams, the 6% arcadia most love, well its puts out 4x more uv than a 10.0 if you use a reflector. Even if the arcadia was a t8 size, its still double the wattage per foot than a 10.0.

I like the arcadia 6% because it keeps the top 2ft of of a 4ft cage in the min cham range for healthy uv output. A 5.0 is almost worthless after about a foot away. They would be great for 18" tall tank though.

10.0 ReptiSUN tubes or 5.0 ReptiSUN tubes are just fine for chameleons. 10.0's give off less microwatts than Arcadia 6% and people use those. And none of the bulbs come close to natural sunlight where some keepers keep their chameleons 24/7, all year. I would still recommend against the compacts as they are still causing eye problems, why chance it.

I just recently got 3, 6% arcadia/grow light combo fixtures. They are WAY brighter and light up the enclosures much better than any t8 bulbs.

The big thing is that you have spots where the chameleon can get out of the light and UVB like leafy plants etc.

lightyourreptiles.com is the only place in the U.S I am pretty sure.

That and his fixtures are half as much as the aquarium ones. Good luck finding a dual 42" for under $100 without bulbs, yet todd will sell the fixture, 2 arcadias, and 2 6500ks, for like $150.

Just spoke to Arcadia. You can buy Arcadia products in Malta from D.K trading/fish and co

Right just got in touch with DK trading ...just wanted to confirm with everyone if the T8 10% UVB is suitable for a cage which is 38inch tall as they do not have the T5 in stock and it would be too costy to be sent over ..how is it compared to zoomed and exo terra?

Living in Malta I personally will use advantage of natural sun. I believe with exception of December-January it will be best option and 2 months pause can chameleons live over without problem.

Arcadia T5 bulbs are after my opinion very good. Generally I believe that Arcadia cares get just quality product to sale, but T8 bulbs are simple "far less powerfull". But I really do not understand why in Malta you can not few times during week "kick out" chameleon on natural sunbath and this is the best what you can offer them.

Living in Malta I personally will use advantage of natural sun. I believe with exception of December-January it will be best option and 2 months pause can chameleons live over without problem.

Arcadia T5 bulbs are after my opinion very good. Generally I believe that Arcadia cares get just quality product to sale, but T8 bulbs are simple "far less powerfull". But I really do not understand why in Malta you can not few times during week "kick out" chameleon on natural sunbath and this is the best what you can offer them.

At the moment it is way too hot for Kinyongia Multi as temps are easily 100F and sometimes more ...I am taking him out on the porch in the shade for a couple of hours in the morning till it stays at 85F but don`t want to fry him ...next month he will start getting more outside time but while he is inside he needs his UV since I do work and can`t always be at home taking him in and out

Back
Top Bottom